Sign in to follow this  
Guest Guest

Prof Clive Graham - a great friend of South African numismatics passes on

Guest Guest

I first met Clive in the mid 1970s at the Pietermaritzburg Numismatic Society. Clive was a key part of the society in his role as secretary.

It was about this time that I gave a talk on the Strachan and Co coins after spending days talking to Ken Strachan at Umzimkhulu about these fascinating pieces. Clive approached me after I gave the talk and suggested we write a booklet, which we did. The book "Kence, the trade tokens of Strachan and Co" was a collaborative effort and of the one thousand copies we personally bound about 200 were sold. The rest were lost because of a fire on my farm in the Drakensberg after I bought Clive out.

As I mentioned to Anthony Govender, who alerted me today by email to Clive's passing at 5.30am South African time, it was Clive who immediately came to my aid to get the ***t off the aluminium Larkan tokens I dug out of a long drop at Thorninghurst. Being a Physicist he had an acidic solution.. ;-) Without Clive's assistance those tokens would not have survived today.... corroding into dust.

I am sure that there will be many warm memories of this quiet figure who played such a major role behind the scenes in our hobby. Feel free to share them here.

Clive will be sadly missed by all who knew him.

Kind regards

Scott Balson

candle.gif

coinoisseur

Scott

You are correct, cancer has claimed yet another giant in numismatics. Indeed he will be sorely missed by all who have had the privilege of being associated with him, and I certainly will. He interest was purely in numismatics and the history behind every item he collected and not what it was worth. I visited him on Thursday night in hospital, and didnt think he would see the night thorugh but he held on long enoungh for his son to arrive from London last night before he passed away this morning.

Clive was President of the Pietermartizburg Numismatic Society and he was also the Vice-President of the Natal Numismatic Society.

He now takes his place in a much higer calling..

Cheers

candle.gif

DestinysAngels

:(Although i have not known Clive, i would like to give all close to him my sincerest condolances for their loss, may he rest in peace!

candle.gif

w1007

Our condolences to Mrs Graham and family. Although we only recently met Clive, he made a huge impression on us with his kindness, generosity and vast knowledge.

candle.gif

geejay50

It was with great sadness that I learnt of Clive's terminal cancer a few months back. I extend my condolences to his wife and son. Here goes a man who with his quiet knowledgable disposition supported and nurtured many of us into this hobby.

Hamba kahle

Georg

candle.gif