Sign in to follow this  
RISadler

DSLR v Compact Article...

RISadler

Yes, please.

MsPlod
For that half baked attempt, this is all you get........:P

There is DEFINITELY a missing link... :P

Thanks Andries for filling in the gaps there - I sort of guessed that it might be the case but it seemed a bit weird - so thought I'd just check.;)

Craig

More photography articles to come

Thanks for clearing that up Andries :-)

It seems this article has caused some good debate and I am glad that we have quite a passionate community! There will be many more articles to follow so hopefully you will start to see a more balanced set in the near future.

Regarding my invitation to write articles...

If any of you do sell equipment and would like some more exposure (that was punny), bidorbuy would welcome good quality articles, reviews, buyer guides etc. To say thank you, we'll place a link to the items you sell on bidorbuy. See this article.

If writing a full-blown article isn't for you, you're always welcome here :-)

Our forum can be a great place for us all to learn more!

Lukeness

Hi Craig,

Let me know if you need an gem type articles. I'd be more than happy to contribute. I don't need a link, a simple name credit wold do.

jphotography

When people ask me about cameras, what is good and what to buy, one must always first find out what they are going to do with a camera, no use you tell them to go and buy a canon 1D and they are going to photograph their kids.

People gets confused about cameras they see photographers with large equiptment and think "I must get that" or they have the money to spend and then they dont know how to use it!

There are people who buy compacts and then they dont get the result they were looking for and then they go and buy another compact again. I know of many people who own at least 2-3 compacts and still complains, they never bother to ask for advice or if they ask the sales person just want to make a sale and sell them what ever they have on display!!

Pricing between the 2 is also NOT that big, if you shop around you can buy an entry level DSLR camera with a proper lens for under 10k, but then you will have quality, and you will never want to sell again (if you sell you will sell to buy bigger DSLR)

Some compacts I have seen goes up to 15k again you pay for what you get. For that 15k compact I can promise you, you will be able to do photographs in dim light conditions without noise!

No use you compare a R500 compact to a 65k DSLR.

DSLR cannot be compared to compacts at all. If people need to compare then compare different makes of DSLR to one another.

BUT I think this article is set out rather nicely for people to read on what to choose from. Many people dont know what to get. Only thing one can change in that article the the block of Why digital SLR. Give more pro's and con's on both sides. YES the DSLR are heavy and huge but with GOOD reason! COmpare distance between the compact's zoom range and that 200k lens, you cant you pay for what you get.

But other than that I cannot find anything else wrong with that information in that article. I might just suggest adding in to ask sales person regarding the apertures on the compact as that is a factor as you will see that those 200k lenses you are talking about do have a rather large F/stop or aperture.

People think that the megapix is the thing to go for, honestly its NOT the biggest factor when buying! I can show you images that was taken with a 10mp camera that is more crisp than with a 18mp or 21mp camera. All still comes down to the person operating the camera.

RISadler

Some good points there, jphotography, especially regarding the f-stop (which is also applicable when buying a DSLR with a kit lens).

On what to look for in a compact, I'd also add that it must use AA batteries.

Bridge cameras are a bit more troublesome, but I've found that many of them are heaps better than an entry-level DSLR with kit lens. So if somebody is looking for a camera a bit more beefy than a compact, but will probably never buy extra lenses, then a bridge camera is the obvious choice.