Sign in to follow this  
Vitality_Tec

MS-66 2008 Mandela R5. I need advise!!

Vitality_Tec    10
Vitality_Tec

Hi,

First I want to say, I'm completely new to the whole coin collecting thing. That's why I've come here for some advise.

I bought a MS-66 graded 2008 Mandela R5. When I received it today, I noticed it has a scratch on the back of the coin (actually one large scratch and a few smaller ones) It's only the bigger scratch you can actually see has some depth to it. It's not like a hair scratch (if that is what they call it) more like a chip out of the coin. The others are the same, just much smaller and not so deep.

What I want to know is, if this is normal on a MS-66. Is this something that can be caused when the coin gets minted?

I have a SA Coin Shop close to where I live. I'm going there on Sunday to ask them in person. But this is my first coin, and it's bothering me so much, I'd like to find out as soon as possible or at least get an opinion form another collector!

Also, the case has what looks like gray marks on it. Apparently it's only the rubber pressing against the plastic and it will go away after awhile. Is this true?

I appreciate all the help!

Thank you! :):)

Pierre_Henri    14
Pierre_Henri

Who graded the coin?

Welcome to the wonderful hobby of coin collecting.

What company graded your coin?

Vitality_Tec    10
Vitality_Tec

O yes, how dumb of me to leave that out. It was graded by NGC.

Pierre_Henri    14
Pierre_Henri

2008 Mandela MS66

a 2008 Mandela MS66 R5 sold a few minutes ago (I just checked the recently sold items on Bid-or-Buy) for R110.

Scratched or not, the coin is not scarce and if ungraded worth exacly R5.

I have a strange feeling you paid more than that?

Pierre

Vitality_Tec    10
Vitality_Tec

I payed exactly R110 for my MS66.

I know it's the cheapest of all the 2008 Mandela R5's. I just wanted something to start my collection.

I'm now looking for a coin in the rage of about R500 - R600. I don't want to spend to much money just yet, seeing I'm still a novice.

Should a MS66 have any scratches at all? From what I'm reading, they can have a few imperfections, but it should all be from the minting process.

For someone starting to collect, which coins would you advise them to buy?

Vinyl Lady Decals    10
Vinyl Lady Decals

If it were me, I would return the coin for a refund.

Vitality_Tec    10
Vitality_Tec

Luckily I bought from a good BoBer, and they have no problem sending me a new one. I'm certainly looking to buy my next coin through them.

One last question. Is buying coins on BoB a good place to start collecting?

Keep in mind. I literary only started reading/looking at coins a week ago. But I'm loving it!

BumbleBee    10
BumbleBee

Hi and welcome Vitality_Tec, this is truly a very satisfying and addictive hobby. You're going to have a ball :D

If you are planning on collecting SA Coins I would strongly suggest investing in a Herns Catalogue as soon as possible.

ECONOZONE    10
ECONOZONE

Have a look at the Union and Zar coins. You will get better value for money and a better return.

xsiandreas    10
xsiandreas

I agree with craigcar. In the long run ZAR and low mintage Union will be the better way to go. There are many ways in which you can collect these coins. Some like the crowns, others start a penny collection and some go with type sets. Always buy the best quality you can get. Once you have a complete set you can start improving it.

jwither    10
jwither
I agree with craigcar. In the long run ZAR and low mintage Union will be the better way to go. There are many ways in which you can collect these coins. Some like the crowns, others start a penny collection and some go with type sets. Always buy the best quality you can get. Once you have a complete set you can start improving it.

Many collectors and especially dealers in the United States where I live give advice to buy the best quality that can be found or afforded. Generally, the best quality being interpreted as the highest grades assigned by NGC or PCGS.

I disagree with that statement because coins in the higher grades may be overpriced versus those in lower grades. The buyer will need to learn from experience what constitutes a "reasonable" price and no novice or beginning collector can possibly do that.

So to the original poster of this topic, yes, definitely buy the Hern Handbook or a similar reference. Look at as many coins as you can both graded and ungraded. Research prior auction results both here and elsewhere to get an idea of current and historical prices. Talk to other collectors to learn all you can. But whatever you do, do not go out and spend a lot of money until you know what you are doing.