Sign in to follow this  
Veto111

Live Auctions in Cape Town!!!

Veto111    10
Veto111

As much as I love BoB I 've always wanted to experience the thrill of a Live Auction, unfortunately I do not know where or if there are any auctions here in CT :mad:

So please, anybody if you know of any upcoming auctions here in CT reply now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers

Veto111

admin    0
admin

When you find one and go, do not scratch anything that is itching, or the next words you might hear is SOLD. :P

moppies    10
moppies

I need to tell you this about live auctions:

Years ago my dad also went to an auction with my little sister sitting on his shoulders - she wanted a better view! During the auction, the auctioneer constantly took a bid in dad's direction. Dad will then look who is bidding but could not see anyone that will show interest in the item. At last the bid was closed and dad was the happy chappy who had won the auction. Guess who did the bidding? .......

Right - she still has the little sowing machine she was bidding on. We all treasure this good memory of dad and sis that attended the auction!!!!

wayjen    10
wayjen

i herd that you must not look the Auctioneer in the eye otherwise he adds to the bidding price and baits you to bid on the item.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

And don't DARE to twitch an eyebrow! Just sit (or stand) as still as a statue.

Try Claremart for live auctions - also look in the Week-end Argus because most of the auctions are advertised there. I just have to read about them and wish I could be there! :)

Veto111    10
Veto111

Thanks for the quick replies guys, thanks lilythepink I will keep a look out in the argus.

Anyways keep the stories coming, love reading it!!!

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

Thanks for the compliments, Veto111 and welcome to the forum. Some of us are batty, others are clever, and one travels around the streets in a shopping trolley with the bag ladies chasing him (and he got his teeth at the charity shop!)

MrAerospace    10
MrAerospace

A true story about my wife ... many years ago, when her sister was moving into a place of her own and needed a fridge, the two of them went off to an auction on a Saturday morning in East London. I was left to babysit our two young sons, one of whom was about 8 months old at the time. In due course I got a call from wifey to say I needed to come through with the bakkie to pick up the fridge they had bought for R10 (would equate today, I think, to R500). Quickly I changed baby's nappy, put him in his car seat, and off the 2 boys and I set. On arriving there, wifey noticed that baby's one arm had been tucked into his nappy, with his hand coming out down the leg (no wonder he howled all the way to the auction house!)

Then, the "bargain" fridge was taken home, switched on, and just got hotter and hotter until we heard an almighty explosion, saw smoke coming from the fridge and realised it was not the bargain we had thought it was. We still have this as one of the family jokes today! :rolleyes:

wayjen    10
wayjen

I went to my first auction today and besides enjoying it i was surprised at what prices the items on auction went for. I did not buy anything but went for the experience.

voldermort    10
voldermort
I went to my first auction today and besides enjoying it i was surprised at what prices the items on auction went for. I did not buy anything but went for the experience.

Surprised as in shocked :o.....I know I always am.

wayjen    10
wayjen

yeah the stuff although big were going for a song and dance (give me a mouse and i would have won the auctions hands down) the smaller items were nothing fancy but wow what bargains were on auction.

voldermort    10
voldermort
yeah the stuff although big were going for a song and dance (give me a mouse and i would have won the auctions hands down) the smaller items were nothing fancy but wow what bargains were on auction.

Depends though what time of the month you go as well, end of month & beginning of month you see the same items going for anything up to 10x more but at this time of the month nobody has money to spend........that's when you jump in and grab the bargains :D

wayjen    10
wayjen

It was a treat to go to both sites although only one site had the auction. Our mutual friend knows all the people there and it was a laugh a minute to see him rattle them. We going next week again he said.

voldermort    10
voldermort
It was a treat to go to both sites although only one site had the auction. Our mutual friend knows all the people there and it was a laugh a minute to see him rattle them. We going next week again he said.

The one you are referring to is too far for me, I go to the one where our mutual friend used to go although I must say it is extremely quiet there these days.

wayjen    10
wayjen
The one you are referring to is too far for me, I go to the one where our mutual friend used to go although I must say it is extremely quiet there these days.

we even went for burgers and coffee afterwards, I can go sleep now.

*VIVA Burgers, VIVA*

voldermort    10
voldermort
we even went for burgers and coffee afterwards, I can go sleep now.

*VIVA Burgers, VIVA*

You lucky bugger.......I had to eat stupid blooming toasted tuna sandwiches.....YUCK :(

wayjen    10
wayjen

ha ha ha you better come with next time, I will pack us some closed breads (toebroodjies).

voldermort    10
voldermort
ha ha ha you better come with next time, I will pack us some closed breads (toebroodjies).

I will have a word with him Saturday, although he did give Jade a graduation gown last week & probably saved us close on R1000.00 but still........burgers opposed to silly tuna :D

what you putting on the sarmies?

wayjen    10
wayjen

ag thats nice and he is like that hey. He bid on 2 sets of LP's for me but we found that they were all water damaged so did not talk them although he bid on them.

About the sarmies i would have to see what i find ha ha ha there might be some peanut butter left ha ha ha

voldermort    10
voldermort
ag thats nice and he is like that hey. He bid on 2 sets of LP's for me but we found that they were all water damaged so did not talk them although he bid on them.

About the sarmies i would have to see what i find ha ha ha there might be some peanut butter left ha ha ha

You have mail :D

wayjen    10
wayjen

ha ha ha i see so.

wayjen    10
wayjen

went to my second auction yesterday and what an experience needless to say i will be i will be busy for weeks to come.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

I know what you mean about coming home with an assortment of things. I get rapped over the knuckles for even daring to go to an auction - we're trying to declutter our home and lives and then I go and bring in more "stuff".

wayjen    10
wayjen

just to see and learn new things is awesome now we just trying to get Jenny to come with next time.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

Do you realise that Jenny will want to buy a whole lot more than you do, Wayne? It is something a woman has no control over when attending an auction ... LOL