28 members have voted

1. 1. Lets play.....Guess the Grade

• XF-40
    • AU-53
    • AU-55
    • MS-62
    • MS-67

Guest Guest

What ever happened to the joy of actually owning a coin which has history?

Something does not compute here!

Kind regards

Scott Balson

DestinysAngels
OK, here it is. The number of "mistakes" like these seems to be increasing. How are these coins getting such high grades from NGC? I have a few coins I want to grade and wanted to send them to NGC, but if this is what I can expect to get back then why go through the risk and expense of sending them to the states? :rolleyes:

Anyhow, here is the coin.......:o

388319_100602075857_DSC02428.JPG

:oWow, well now i am stunned too, cause my guess was right, if only there was something to win, hehehe!

ZARBOY

NGC is making big money. Do they actually grade all these coins or just quickly give a grade to turn the volumes???:mad:

This "grading" & "Mandela" frenzy is getting way out of hand.

I currently have listed on Crazy Wednesday a 1890 ZAR Pattern Penny in UNC Details. Mintage figures is propably less than 100. The coin is scarce, it has history. How many left today? Still in amazing grade.... Selling for not even R3000 when it's value is stated as R22500

On the other side I see a graded XF45 Mandela Birthday R5 selling for more than the above mentioned coin. Millions made and poor quality coin. :confused: What the hell is going on?????? A MS62 selling for around R18000???

For a quarter of the price a buyer can get true history with proven track results that is genuine scarce and will definately grow in value in time to come...

I wish these buyers could just do some homework before investing hard earned money.

Regards

BumbleBee

Just goes to show that "marketing hype" is probably the biggest tool in business regardless of what you're selling.

@ Coinoissuer - Its not always possible to make a purchase decision on a graded coin when buying online. The photo of the actual coin is hardly ever clear so one has to go on the "Guaranteed" grade.

Time to break out the trusty old hacksaw, maybe I will take this coin and get me a gumball, that would probably be a better investment :D

ECONOZONE

I sell Mandela coins to buy Zar and Union coins, some of which come through the till in my business.I am waiting for a shipment of coins with Ms 62,63 and 64 in it and then will be able to buy some more Zar coins.There is a demand for these coins and the market pays well for them even though it may not be everyones cup of tea.

Rare NotesCoins

MS 61. But should not even have graded

dennrein

Slabbing and Online auctions go together

Just goes to show that "marketing hype" is probably the biggest tool in business regardless of what you're selling.

@ Coinoissuer - Its not always possible to make a purchase decision on a graded coin when buying online. The photo of the actual coin is hardly ever clear so one has to go on the "Guaranteed" grade.

Time to break out the trusty old hacksaw, maybe I will take this coin and get me a gumball, that would probably be a better investment :D

Hi,

I would venture the guess that in fact companies like NGC and PCGS being so successful has precisely to do with the way online auctions have taken off over the past couple of years.

I.e. because photos or scans are often in such low resolution, because rim damage can sometimes not be detected, because sellers often don't know themselves whether a coin has been cleaned and because digital photos are easily manipulated, people looked for an independent expert source to reduce risk and uncertainty. But cases like this indicate that risk and uncertainty remain.

To be honest, all this slabbing of South African coins gets on my nerves. Slabbed coins claim a massive premium, driving ever more sellers to slab their coins etc. etc. In Germany, where I live, I seldom encounter slabbed coins, even on local online auction sites. People still trust each other instead of an anonymous grading company, and that goes especially for the more expensive coins, where every little scratch is noted.

It has often been stated on this forum that there are marginal - or rather barely existent - differences between grades such as MS62, 63, 64, 65 - at least only superhumans could manage to consistently tell them apart. If this is the case, then grading companies are measuring more precisely (validly) than the old grading system (e.g. VF+, EF-, EF etc.) at the cost of having to reduce reliability because the diffrences between say an MS62 and MS63 are neglectible. This, obviously, is especially the case with coins they don't often get to grade, as there are less comparisons.

I look forward to seeing the end of the slabbing frenzy one of these days.

dennrein

Norgard

Hi

This coin should not even have gotten a XF 40 grade.

I agree with "dennrein" that this slabbing frenzy should come to an end. Especially the practice of grading coins with mintage figures in the millions like the Mandela birthday R5.

Regards,

Dulal
They have GOT to be joking, smoking their stinky socks, forgotten their spectacles or all three!! Not a chance that a bumped around coin such as this should be MS62!

I have a number of circulated coins that would be PF75 (sic) or MS75 (sic) compared with this well travelled coin!:P

Makes me REALLY think... Thanks for sharing this BumbleBee!

Hi Ms Plod

Send it quickly before NGC wake-up from sleep. Then let me know so I can fly to NGC head office and ask them to grade 2008 Mandela coin as 2000 Mandela coin ( BECAUSE I DON`T HAVE ENOUGH 2000 MANDELA COIN)

Dulal

BumbleBee

I'm wondering if I could sell this coin not as an error coin but rather as an "error slab"? There are plenty of buyers with too much money around here buying slabs instead of coins

Dulal
I'm wondering if I could sell this coin not as an error coin but rather as an "error slab"? There are plenty of buyers with too much money around here buying slabs instead of coins

Hi Bumblebee

What about ERROR SLAB CATEGORY on bidorbuy? What about grading of error slab which contain the wrong/error graded coin from a grading services/company? One day that may happen, then you will hit jackpot. So hold on it. We need to speculate to accumulate!!

Dulal

MsPlod

Dulal and BumbleBee

Hi Bumblebee

What about ERROR SLAB CATEGORY on bidorbuy? What about grading of error slab which contain the wrong/error graded coin from a grading services/company? One day that may happen, then you will hit jackpot. So hold on it. We need to speculate to accumulate!!

Dulal

You guys are cracking me up BIG TIME!!! :D:D:D:p

BumbleBee

....I was serious ;)

Vertigo

Mintstate , 4 Sure