Sign in to follow this  
admin

Other usernames on this forum

wayjen

I have been to a couple of auctions and the same guys are using 2 auction houses to sell their goods on and they bid on their own items thereby pushing up the price.

lilythepink

Wayne is right. But remember Auction Alliance who seem to be no more??? Somehow the sleaze balls do seem to meet their doom - unfortunately it takes time but it does happen!

wayjen
Wayne is right. But remember Auction Alliance who seem to be no more??? Somehow the sleaze balls do seem to meet their doom - unfortunately it takes time but it does happen!

Yes AA is just one business but even the smaller auction houses have these guys running around.

lilythepink

We all know that. Have faith the size of a mustard seed - they are all being watched and if more people reported the underhand goings-on the sooner they will be "no more".

wayjen

The problem here is that some "auction bosses" know this is happening and because they get a commission on every sale, it is worth their while to let it run to get a better price.

amcintyre

I've always wanted to know : Is either "Discrete [D]" or "Auction Closed" available or permitted as user names?

Prom
On the contrary, it is (and has been) a VERY lucrative practice for some sleaze-balls among the traders past and present on BoB. It is most usually termed "shillbidding". Driving the price higher or simply buying the item oneself at a low price to prevent selling it for too low a price. All that is then paid are the success fees (a small price to pay in comparison to losing a high-priced item for below cost).

It is fraudulent, criminal and infuriating!

I LOATHE shillbidders!

Yes I know about the shill bidding but I was asking about buying from oneself. I can't see a good purpose in this when a listing can simply be removed.

mellowred
Yes I know about the shill bidding but I was asking about buying from oneself. I can't see a good purpose in this when a listing can simply be removed.

The reason for that Prom is that you are honest and don't think like a con :toung:.

BoB don't take kindly to sellers continually cancelling bids and closing items. So if you have your cousin down the road (or your spouse sitting next to you) they just keep bidding until some sucker bids high enough. If they don't get their price they pay the BoB fees and score a wonderful positive rating.

Works until BoB start checking IP addresses or notice that you are managing to deliver to Joe Bloggs (your cousin) and receive rave reviews from him within a day of selling. :sneaky:

MsPlod

OK - you mean buying a "buy now" from yourself?

That can be used to "bump up" ratings - buy a whole lot of low value "buy nows" from yourself and give yourself loads of rave reviews. It has been done - just more usually done with auctions methinks.

Prom

Ok I see now. Thank for that explanation MsPlod.