Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Valley Gems

Amythest Green and white?

16 posts in this topic

After having been inactive on bidorbuy for some time I decided to spend some time and possibly sell again.I at one time questioned the validity of the certificates posted and offerd to buyers on bidorbuy and am please to note that a lot has been done to correct the situation by a very active forum on bidorbuy.( Well done ) What is concerning for me though is the continued sale of what is termed as Green Amythest people their is no such thing.At best the term Greened Amythest could be used where Amythest has been radiated or heat treated to create the colour.Then it would be important for the seller to state that his stone is treated.On the Topic take a look at what the GIA has to say as well as a very informative website http://www.mindat.org .As for the term Prasiolite this is a marketing term for Greened Amythest.

Horror of horrors WHITE AMYTHEST sellers describing stones as such should be lynched and the validty of all they have on a sale on this site is in question.Its like saying Blue Ruby

People please something must be done it is completely incorrect this is quartz, clear quartz.

Please can something be done to correct this it is incorrect and misleading as well as creating false information.

Regards

Chris

:lol: welcome back to bob...

I see that gemval.com now have now a green shade under amethyst. No white shade... yet....

I think that people while saying green amethyst should also disclose that it's prasiolite or heated amethyst...

o yes, look in the ruby section. you are guaranteed to see a few blue rubies.. white amethyst and masses of misnamed and off course over valuated gems.

Hi Valley Gems

These have all been covered here and in the guidelines thread too.

You might want to check it all out and give us feedback and opinions on the rest as you said you have been away for some time.

Amethyst by definition is purple quartz. Any other colour and it cannot be called that.

Prasiolite can be found naturally, but is very rare and almost impossible to separate from the irradiated and heated material.

Sir for all intents and purpose like Tanzanite Prasiolite is a trade name for Green Quartz or treated/Greened Amythest I feel that it is fradulant to use the term Green Amythest as you correctly stated without the proper equipment it is difficult to determine treatment.However the fact that Green Quartz is rare makes it highly unlikely that it would be found on bidorbuy so mabye it should be a clear rule that the term Green Amythest not be used.

Regards

Chris Stylianou

I agree that this, along with many other terms, should no be used.

Unfortunately we have had little success with some of the bigger sellers disregarding the guidelines completely and BoB is adamant thath the remain guidelines, not rules.

Some sellers have began the practising of more detailed listings and in the cases of green quartz/prasiolite explain what it is and give green/greened amethyst as the commonly used name. As long as full disclosure is prvided I don't see anything wring with this.

The use of the term white amethyst though is to be totally misleading as this is merely romancing plain old quartz.

Its obvious that a concerted effort is being made to correct these situations.Its unfortunate that bob does not take a harder line on the matter.The point that is clearly illustrated here is that some of the so called bigger sellers are either totaly unscupolous or have no idea what they are doing.Both of the points mentioned dont bode well for the integrity of the site as it is ultimately bob that should take some kind of responsibility.Some of the goings on on the Gemstone section of this site are a joke and would be funny if they where not so serious.

I have about 10 000crts of "White Amythest " mabye I should list it

Regards

Chris Stylianou

wait until you see the pink and blue obsidian...

lol

And R 400 to get your 'rare' stone.......

I almost never visit the forum(since I registered; only about 4-6 times). It is very time consuming and I realy do not have the time to mostly read how one seller try to downsize the other seller. It is a pity as there are good information and nessesary detail that can be obtained from the forum

I was searching for info provided by lukeness about gemval appraisals and stumbled upon this post.

To my shock I had a listing refered to as “taking it to the extremeâ€

If there is a problem, why not contact the seller direct instead of slamming him/her without him/her knowledge. If they do persist on listing the way they do, THEN have it public on the forum

I am sure as in my case there are a number of sellers not aware of complaints and slandering about there listings on the forum.

The term “Green Amethyst†are used in the trade because most know what it is; and it is accepted.

BUT not wanting to be a seller BREAKING SOME UNSET RULE I changed my listings to Prasiolite (Green Amethyst) And ‘wolla’ I sold two that was relisting itself for quite a while under the old unforgivable Green Amethyst.

If you could have informed me from the beginning

1. I might have sold all of my PASIOLITE’s by now.

2. I would not been unknowingly slammed with ‘taking it to the extreme’:

3. I wonder if I did not stumbled upon it by accident and it would have been relisted and relisted(if not sold) what you would have called me and my listings at a latter stage

Please if there is any problem with anything PLEASE call the seller first they might be unaware of YOUR concerns

Hi SunGems1,

Yes, the term is used a lot by the trade, but it is used incorrectly. It's the same as selling smokey quartz as smokey topaz or selling herkimer diamond without mentioning that it is in fact quartz.

BUT let me agree with you. Sellers should be informed if there are claims made regarding their auctions and I apologize for not extending that courtesy to you. Most sellers have been invited here at least once when there have posts about their listings and they shame should have been don for you. This particular issue was brought up with several sellers, you should not have been lumped together with them without some kind of communication.

You are also welcome to request any assistance with listings or if unsure about anything and would like information. You can PM me anytime and I know there are several other members here who feel the same. Some sellers have even asked members to go through their listings and give suggestions or inform them if they notice anything wrong. It happens, none of us are perfect.

It's great that you do use the forums and I hope you find time to do more so and post often.

Luke

Hi All

Again, we will refer you to our terms of use and listing policy.

Its obvious that a concerted effort is being made to correct these situations.Its unfortunate that bidorbuy does not take a harder line on the matter.The point that is clearly illustrated here is that some of the so called bigger sellers are either totaly unscupolous or have no idea what they are doing.Both of the points mentioned don't bode well for the integrity of the site as it is ultimately bidorbuy that should take some kind of responsibility.Some of the goings on on the Gemstone section of this site are a joke and would be funny if they where not so serious.

I have about 10 000crts of "White Amythest " mabye I should list it

Regards

Chris Stylianou

bidorbuy's stance on these issues is well documented. It is the sellers responsibility to ensure these items are listed correctly, if it is proven that they are not, then, and only then will we take action. You also state that these terms are commonly used in the "trade" as you put it.

Thank you

Cuan

Hi Lukeness,

Re your "joke" about the Blue Obsidian, to me Obsidian was always black as used by the Astecs (or Mayans) I think in was...for its sharpness!

I bought a blue "Obsidian" from a seller I rate highly a year ago, as I was intrigued...but never found out whether or not is was an Obsidian. The Seller debated the "blue" aspect with his supplier...but a conclusion was never arrived at!

David :oops:

Don't worry, there are plenty types. But very few that look any good.

lol

Just watch out for the "Heinekenite"...

Hello Lukeness

herkimer diamond

As a non gem dealer (stamp dealer by trade), I nevertheless follow your Forum very closely.

Would you please be so kind as to provide us novices some more information on the term “Herkimer diamond�

Thanks and regards

Jacques

Hi Jacques,

"Herkimer diamonds" are double terminated quartz crystals (they're pointed on both ends - oversimplification but it should suffice) that have the misleading name because in their natural state they look somewhat like a semi-polished diamond because of the shape and flat crystal "panels" that look almost like facets.