Sign in to follow this  
HR_COINS

Mandela Birthday Coin in Proof

BumbleBee

I heard that there was a limited run of around 5000 minted, please could someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Ouchie on the price this this auction is getting :o

Gecko Coins

Hi

I am no Mandela expert, but some time back there was talk of some of the 2008 Birthday coins (In the case with the 2000 Mandela) that were sent to NGC for grading. These came back Proof although they were lazer frosted. NGC then requested that these be returned, but I guess that some did not return.

I may be wrong (not the first time) but these cannot have any value as there were never proof coins minted. Hern's does not make mention of them and would have if there were proofs minted. Someone is going to get their fingers burnt!!

Cheers

EWAAN Galleries

Hi

You can clearly see from the pictures that this is a proof coin. It is almost a perfect PF70 when looking at the coin itself.

This auction must be a record for bid or buy with over 1000 page views and 49 users tracking :)

Good Luck to the winning bidder :)

Regards,

EWAAN Auction Galleries

HR_COINS

The coin does look stunning Ewaan, my question was just how many proofs were minted and if possible when was these released........

Good luck to the winner. The coin looks amazing.

Little Miss Muffet
Hi

You can clearly see from the pictures that this is a proof coin. It is almost a perfect PF70 when looking at the coin itself.

This auction must be a record for bid or buy with over 1000 page views and 49 users tracking :)

Good Luck to the winning bidder :)

Regards,

EWAAN Auction Galleries

Just relating this to hubby. Never he says.

"So what do you think he paid for it" ?

My guess is as good as his.:rolleyes::confused:

rvswartz

HI there,

there were 5000 sets minted.

regards

Gecko Coins
HI there,

there were 5000 sets minted.

regards

Hi,

are you refering to the Mandela Commemorative R5 Set which sells for around R1000??

Those 2008 Mandela coins were all laser frosted and are not original proofs thus they cannot (or should I rather say "should not") be graded as proofs. Perhaps one of the experts on this forum can enlighten us,

regards

HR_COINS

Thanks Anthony for that........

This is exactly what I was looking for.

This proof coin must have came from the set!

inveco

Hi

I think if we wait a while we might see these proof R5

Mandela 2008 coins CHEAPER than what they are being offered for now. Remember when the 2008 mandela R5 were offered for the first time people were paying alot more than what they are going for now.

2nd Point

If they were only released recently shoud they not grade

" In Retro Spect":confused: