Sign in to follow this  
Vegar

Protest P.O. rule

Vegar    10
Vegar

Until last week I have been able to charge R25.00 for an INSURED ECONO parcel (less than 11cm thick and smallish).

A new Post Office rule states that you cannot insure an econo-parcel.

Since I send ALL my packets insured (no exceptions) I now have to send them as an ORDINARY parcel at R38.00 (30.20 + 2% + packaging).

This adds R10 to the cost of sending small items - in addition to the 2% insurance.

Is there any way we can protest about this rule?

:(

Cali Craft and Gems    10
Cali Craft and Gems

Our branch still charges R18.15 plus the 2% for a PA (insured) sticker parcel.

Don't just accept what your branch tells you - confirm with another branch or two in your region before tackling the post master head-on with the facts!

PS. In the new booklet there is NOTHING to indicate or state that the 2% insurance is only applicable on the one postage option! It is a "value added service" applicable to ALL postage options listed "above" on pages 12 and 13! (Ordinary parcel and Econoparcel)

kebs    10
kebs

That's worrying.. A warning from the post office would have been nice:mad:. Will have to change my postage rates - I doubt people are going to opt for insurance now.. I don't think there's anything we can do - they were probably losing money on insurance claims & low postage costs. Nevermind the small fortune they make every day...;)

Vegar    10
Vegar

Yes CALI, I have also considered trying another branch or five ... I am on very friendly terms with my local P O - have been using it for 20 years so I trust what they say.

They told me it was a verbal directive from 'above' - but perhaps I can find a branch where they don't listen very well ;)

On the other hand, as KEBS says, I have to change my rates anyway so I don't risk losing on shipping.

BeadandCraft Studio    10
BeadandCraft Studio

Hi,

That is correct,you will no longer be able to insure econo packages,they must be sent out as insured ordinary packages.I have read the memo from my post office which came into effect,this weekend and as it has been addressed to ALL BRANCHES, I assume it will be only a matter of time,before it will start affecting other branches too.Unfortunately,I had to pay the extra to send it insured ordinary post even though it was under a kg:mad:

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

Well that means that buyers will just have to pay up, I guess. Sad. But econo mail items can still be sent REGISTERED mail if they are in padded envelopes, which does give them a degree more security!

BeadandCraft Studio

You can still register your econo mail parcels and get a tracking number,but you can no longer insure econo mail packages/envelopes

kebs    10
kebs

Hopefully buyers will also be aware of this new policy & they won't think we're trying to rip them off with postage fees...:confused:

RAG Auctioneers    10
RAG Auctioneers

Our post office havnt taken up any rule of that sort.

Took some envelopes today.

mellowred    10
mellowred

What could their reason be for not insuring Economail?

Why don't we all contact the SAPO head office and complain?

SAPO Customer Service Feedback

I've sent a enquiry as to whether this is true or not. Lets see if they respond.

Cali Craft and Gems    10
Cali Craft and Gems

When I went to my local branch today I enquired directly with the post mistress and she said that there is no memo or message from anyone regarding any changes. The system still gives the operator the option to select insured econoparcel or insured ordinary parcel!

Same "old" principle applies as per the new booklet - econoparcel or ordinary parcel with the 2% insurance added. She did note though that the only time a "light" parcel would be sent as ordinary parcel post is if the dimensions exceeded those given in the booklet!

Sizes:

Econoparcel - Maximum 458mm x 324mm x 100mm, with a weight less than 1kg.

Ordinary parcel - larger than 353mm x 250mm x 30mm and / or over 1kg with a max length of 1m! (volumetric "weight" calculation)

Vinyl Lady Decals    10
Vinyl Lady Decals
Hi,

That is correct,you will no longer be able to insure econo packages,they must be sent out as insured ordinary packages.I have read the memo from my post office which came into effect,this weekend and as it has been addressed to ALL BRANCHES, I assume it will be only a matter of time,before it will start affecting other branches too.Unfortunately,I had to pay the extra to send it insured ordinary post even though it was under a kg:mad:

I got the same info from my post office last week.

No insured econo parcel anymore.

At the same time, I was also informed that they will now be charging for collection of any returned parcels as well, the same tariff that we paid to send the parcel.:mad::mad:

I said that I flat-out refuse to pay this as most of the returned parcels I get are never claimed by the buyers, even though I send numerous emails, etc.

I told them that I would find out who the addressee was and if they pay the double postage - which is what it will now be - I will collect the parcel and post it back to them.

As I already have such a poor response regarding returned parcels, I can't see any buyers being willing to pay double postage.

I don't know what the post office is going to do with the returned parcels that are going to pile up uncollected.

I protest this as well, not fair.:mad::mad:

eZethu Coins    10
eZethu Coins
When I went to my local branch today I enquired directly with the post mistress and she said that there is no memo or message from anyone regarding any changes. The system still gives the operator the option to select insured econoparcel or insured ordinary parcel!

Same "old" principle applies as per the new booklet - econoparcel or ordinary parcel with the 2% insurance added. She did note though that the only time a "light" parcel would be sent as ordinary parcel post is if the dimensions exceeded those given in the booklet!

Sizes:

Econoparcel - Maximum 458mm x 324mm x 100mm, with a weight less than 1kg.

Ordinary parcel - larger than 353mm x 250mm x 30mm and / or over 1kg with a max length of 1m! (volumetric "weight" calculation)

I just checked and nothing has changed on my Post Office side - I posted yesterday again - let's hope that they stay un-informed. My Post Master would tell me if there is a change (when they find out) - I am there more than some of his staff :-)

admin    0
admin
Lets see if they respond.

Don't hold your breath. :rolleyes:

mellowred    10
mellowred

Nah I can't, that would interfere with my ciggies :P

kebs    10
kebs

Am now officially confused..:confused: Just back from my post office - they don't know anything about htis whole issue.. The lady said it might take time to filter down to them if it's coming from head office, but to date - nothing.. So I don't know what to do with postage rates now.. I'm thinking of leaving them at the higher rates, but including a R10 refund in the parcel as long as you can still insure econoparcel. Am just worried I end up paying for 10 insured parcels one day, at the higher rates, & have lowered my rate.. I would never ask a buyer to pay in extra once they've bought, so would be a loss to me..

Guest Guest   
Guest Guest

that is why I screw the SAPO and use Postnet. They take care of all the costs for me.

mellowred    10
mellowred

From: Bongie Khumalo [mailto:Bongie.Khumalo@postoffice.co.za]

Sent: 04 May 2010 16:11

To: mandy@*********.co.za

Subject: RE: customer.services@postoffice.co.za

Good day

Thank you for your e-mail,

Please be advised that Econoparcel can only be insured when is being paid with a rate of a parcel.

Best regards,

Bongie Khumalo

Customer Services

Surprise :o they answered. Well sort of ... I'm just as confused as I was earlier ... LOL

RAG Auctioneers    10
RAG Auctioneers

lol, that reply didnt really help.......

kebs    10
kebs

Umm... & what is it they consider parcel rate?? The R18 something for econoparcel, or the R30 something? The confusion continues...

kebs    10
kebs

It's official - my post office told me today they are no longer allowed to insure econoparcels.. No-one is sure why, but unfortunately buyers will have to pay a lot more if they want a parcel insured now..

BeadandCraft Studio

It seems they are working their way around the country:rolleyes:

brands online    10
brands online

SAPO unfortunately seems to be getting worse. Charges keep going up, service down. Track and trace causes endless problems with buyers also. System isn't real time and more down than up... BOB sellers boost all SAPO branches turnover, but the appreciation is really lacking. Maybe we should petition this econo no insurance nonsense...

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

Again, I suggest that people sending small (econo) parcels opt for the registered mail route. You will have a tracking number and better security than an econo parcel without insurance.