Sign in to follow this  
Pharos

Mass produced art.

Pharos

Hi Artworks

I just saw the first one on page three of SA Originals. Listed by a seller that Cuan asked not to list in SA Originals (Refer to posting above). Strange how some people think all baobabs are the same, when we know that the tall thin variety are indigenous to Madagascar ;)

My issue with these paintings is not that they affect sales, my clients are generally quite clued up and can spot these works for what they are. I just feel that they should be in the correct category i.e. International Art. That way people won't be fooled into buying something that they think is of value.

All things considered, I still think there is a great selection of wonderful paintings available from honest art dealers on BoB.

Thanks for your comments.

Ciao

artworks

International Art Category

Hi Pharos,

The International Art Section Is For Original Art By Artists From Overseas, Both Collectors Pieces And Young Emerging Artists. (jim Dine, Romero Britto, Russel Flint, Henry Moore, John Piper, David Hockney, Damien Hirst, Etc)

Listing These Mass Produced Artworks Here Will Not Solve The Problem. I Have Several Artworks Listed In The International Category And Now This Category Is Getting Full Of These Artworks And Is Starting To Look Like A Flea Market.

I Have Contacted Bob About This And Hopefully All This Art Will Be Moved To The Reproduced Category.

Regards

Artworks

Pharos

Yup, that is the problem, how does one categorise this type of art? I know I have a few strong expletives that I use.

But you are right; to in any way market these works as originals is in my opinion nothing less than fraud.

Here again the issue of proof comes to the fore. You and I and many other people can clearly recognise this type of art (Although, I must admit that the quality has improved a lot over the last few years). It was easy for me to prove that a certain painting was not painted by a South African artist, and was therefore in the wrong category (SA Originals). As obvious as it is to those in the know, it is difficult to prove to BoB that a painting is mass produced Chinese junk, unless that is, the word of an expert in the field is taken as good enough.

I've noticed a few other old tricks that they are employing. In the past they would have a collection of telephone directories from around the world, and sign the paintings according to the destination market. Now, with the ease of the internet I see they have a new ploy; they call the artist a "Listed Artist". You Google the chap and there you have a number of results with that artists name. Take a good look though and you will find that the paintings are completely different in style and signature etc. Sometimes, because of the language barrier, singers and actors have their names used, as their names pop up on the net under a search for "Artists". Names of dead artists are also very often used.

I contacted John Wright, a well known English artist about a painting listed on BoB. He confirmed that it is definitely not one of his. There are many more examples.

What does one do though? BoB is a business and these paintings are a very big source of revenue (Must be if you consider that at least three of the sellers in the top ten of the art section are seling this sort of work). I don't think one can chase them away, after all, there is some slave in a sweatshop in China whose family relies on the pittance she earns from painting skies or whatever her speciality is. I just think they should be properly categorised so that nobody buys them by accident, thinking that they have any worth whatsoever.

Chat soon

Pharos

artworks

decorative arts

HI PHAROS

PREVIOUSLY THERE WAS PERHAPS NO CATEGORY FOR THIS ART, ON BOB. SELLERS HAD TO PERHAPS SHIFT FROM ONE CATEGORY TO ANOTHER.

TO MAKE THE ART SECTION MORE USER FRIENDLY I HAVE MADE SOME RECOMMENDATIONS TO BOB. MAINLY THAT THE "REPRODUCE" OR "MASS PRODUCED" ART BE CATEGORIZED UNDER A NEW CATEGORY "DECORATIVE ART"

THERE ARE TOO MANY CATEGORIES AND SUB CATEGORIES IN THE ART SECTION. I HAVE RECOMMENDED TO BOB THAT THE ART SECTION SHOULD BE AS FOLLOWS :

ORIGINAL SOUTH AFRICAN ART

1. PAINTINGS

2. WATERCOLOURS

3. DRAWINGS & PASTELS

4. ETCHINGS & LITHOGRAPHS

5. PHOTOGRAPHY

6. SCULPTURE

7. OTHER

ORIGINAL INTERNATIONAL ART

1. PAINTINGS

2. WATERCOLOURS

3. DRAWINGS & PASTELS

5. PHOTOGRAPHY

6. SCULPTURE

7. OTHER

DECORATIVE ART (THE OLD “ORIGINAL ART” & “REPRODUCED ART” WILL NOW MOVE HERE)

1. PAINTINGS

2. WATERCOLOURS

3. DRAWINGS & PASTELS

5. PHOTOGRAPHY

6. SCULPTURE

7. OTHER

PRINTS

ART SUPPLIES

THIS WILL PERHAPS BE MORE USER FRIENDLY AND LESS CONFUSING.......

LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK.

REGARDS

ARTWORKS

Pharos

Hi Artworks

I think you may have the answer here, provided that once the system is in place, it is well controlled and policed.

Well done.

Pharos

shuvanni

Suggestion by Art Works for changing of categories

Hi Artworks

I sell under South African Originals - As a South African Art dealer we are not able to compete with mass produced Chinese; Canadian; and other imported paintings that are masterfully executed but only have the value of oil on canvas - there is no other intrinsic value.

There are Thousands of imported oils and Local South African Artists will be lost amongs the thousands of imported art. At least to have a catagory that identifies South African Originals allows discerning buyers to go where they are able to find value.

Most imported art is not done by one artist - it is done by many artists that add one or two strokes as the conveyor comes by - the art will never become rare and therefore never gain value.

At least with a category and sub catagory the discerning buyer will know where to look.

You may be in a market for the average buyer - I am certainly not. So life will not be made easier for me and other traders like me.

I therefore can not support your notion.

Pharos

Hi Artworks

I think if Shuvanni had actually taken the time to read the rest of the posts on this thread, he would have realised that his soap-boxing is not necessary as the issues he is raising are exactly those that we are campaigning against.

Well done with your suggestions.

Pharos

realfakes4u

Mass Produced

Mass Produced

I have been to some galleries and markets; shows and auctions and have noticed the Artists Bosch; F Badenhorst; P Britz paintings all over - Do you think they do them themselves or do they perhaps have their children or other helpers (chinese) prepare the basics and they just come and do the detailing.

Just asking?

Wild Olive Art

These paintings should not be marketed under "original art "at all !

I previously questioned this issue with one of the sellers who was extremely evasive in his reply.

This art is of absolutely no value and buyers should be aware of that fact !

Wild Olive Art
Mass Produced

I have been to some galleries and markets; shows and auctions and have noticed the Artists Bosch; F Badenhorst; P Britz paintings all over - Do you think they do them themselves or do they perhaps have their children or other helpers (chinese) prepare the basics and they just come and do the detailing.

Just asking?

The artists you mention are prolific South African painters and top South African sellers. Because of their popularity you will find their work represented by most reputable dealers and galleries. Many artists are able to produce a large volume of work in a short space of time and definitely do not require any help in producing their art.

Pharos

A comment like this only shows your ignorance when it comes to art.

Mass Produced

Just asking?

arctor

Realfakes4u -- congratulations on bringing your post count up to 1.

At the time of writing this post there are the following quantities available on bidorbuy:

• Bosch - 1
  • F Badenhorst - 1
  • P Britz - 1

Bidorbuy is typically a more value orientated art market than the galleries. If the above work was being mass produced you'd see lots of it on bidorbuy.

Moreover anyone capable of this type of art would be better off marketing it as their own work.