Sign in to follow this  
Pharos

Mass produced art.

Pharos

Is it just me or are there others who are irritated by the fact that mass produced paintings from the far east are being marketed under "South African Originals"? These canvasses which are imported for as little as $1 are a real pain in the neck for dealers in real art.

hannesg2006

post a link

Pharos

Made a mistake, they're under "Original Paintings".

Pharos

There are also some in the "South African Originals" category.

ziggy2000

Alert Community Watch

Hi Pharos, you should alert community watch about this. This is misrepresentation and misleading the buyers.

Pharos

How do I go about doing that?

admin

Hi Pharos,

You can click on the "Spot a problem" link at the bottom of each item description or email communitywatch@bidorbuy.co.za. You will have to report each listing individually.

Pharos

Thanks, will do.

MsPlod

Fascinating.. thanks!

I have reported a few paintings that fall into the category of mass-produced art from China, and that are being marketed under "South African Originals".

If anyone would like to learn more about these art sweatshops read: China's Art Factories: Van Gogh From the Sweatshop - SPIEGEL ONLINE - News - International

Quite a thing!

Thanks for the information... Puts rather a lot into perspective. Must say that I would love to be able to redirect these sweatshop artists efforts into creating their own original art and finding (or creating) markets for it. But then it is the general public who have the say - they would rather buy a cheap fake of a well-known than a reasonably priced original from an unknown. Sad state of affairs.:(

Pharos

Hi. Yes it is as you say, a sad state of affairs. The public however is not entirely to blame. I have devoted my life to art and can spot one of these eastern mass-produced paintings at a few hundred metres (Literally). However, not everyone has the time or need to invest so much effort into learning about these things, and that is where unscrupulous art dealers step in and make a killing.

I really hope that the examples of this work that I have seen on BoB are exposed and removed, or at least marketed under their correct heading without being deceptive and tricking people into believing that they are buying something of worth.

Thanks for the comments.

Little Miss Muffet

I bought one of these re-produced paintings from Israel.

If this is the seller you are referring to I can only say that I have been looking for a print or painting for a certain wall in my home and found exactly what I wanted.

Have had it stretched and mounted and it is stunning.

They do not not misrepresented their items and I had excellent service from them

My 2 cents worth

Pharos

I think that selling a mass produced painting that is manufactured in Israel under the South African Originals category is very obvious misrepresentation. Remember that I am specifically referring to ersatz african art marketed under SA Originals. If your painting does not fall under this category, is a reproduction of an existing artwork and is marketed as such, then as much as your two cents worth is appreciated, it has no bearing whatsoever on the comment that I am making.

lilythepink

Well, this makes me wonder ...

If fake perfumes, ipods, cameras, hair straighteners and whatever else fakes you can think of are NOT allowed on BoB, why do they allow FAKE paintings?

qball

As with any fake product - bidorbuy is not expert in any field, if sufficient proof or evidence is supplied to us we can take the appropriate steps against the seller. We do not simply act on claims, accusations, hearsay or suspicions. Something like this would be very difficult for us to police as we are not art experts and know very little about such items, so even asking the seller for proof may not suffice.

Kind regards

Cuan

Little Miss Muffet
I think that selling a mass produced painting that is manufactured in Israel under the South African Originals category is very obvious misrepresentation. Remember that I am specifically referring to ersatz african art marketed under SA Originals. If your painting does not fall under this category, is a reproduction of an existing artwork and is marketed as such, then as much as your two cents worth is appreciated, it has no bearing whatsoever on the comment that I am making.

Sorry the one I bought was listed under prints. I was really defending the product and not the category it was listed under.

RISadler
As with any fake product - bidorbuy is not expert in any field, if sufficient proof or evidence is supplied to us we can take the appropriate steps against the seller. We do not simply act on claims, accusations, hearsay or suspicions. Something like this would be very difficult for us to police as we are not art experts and know very little about such items, so even asking the seller for proof may not suffice.

If someone offers a Vermeer, Rembrandt, etc. on bidorbuy at anything less than R5M, then it is obviously a reproduction. If it is not a print, the dimensions match and the artist's signature is also reproduced, then it is a fake. QED. :cool:

lilythepink

Agreed, RIS. Definitely I agree with you.

Pharos

I give up.

I'm throwing in the towel, let mass produced art and the sellers thereof flourish.

After getting a seller to admit that a painting he is selling under South African Originals was in fact painted by an "Asian" artist, who is not South African, or even in South Africa, I passed this information on to Community Watch. I was then still told that there is not enough evidence to support my claims that this painting ought not to be listed under SA Originals.

What more to do?

I give up.

qball

Dear Pharos

The item you reported is listed under International Art - Paintings, it is not listed under Original SA Art.

I will be asking the seller to refrain from listing in the SA original category, as they probably think that because the art depicts African landscapes etc. that it should be listed here.

Kind regards

Cuan

Pharos

Hi Cuan

The item has just been moved to International Art. When I raised this issue this morning it was very definitely listed under South African Originals. I just checked and this seller still has items listed under SA Originals that are not SA Originals.

At any rate, the moving of that item to international art is a small victory in itself and will hopefully have assisted some unsuspecting buyer.

Thank you.

Pharos

I see this seller has in the last month sold three paintings to unsuspecting buyers as Original South African art.

qball
Hi Cuan

The item has just been moved to International Art. When I raised this issue this morning it was very definitely listed under South African Originals. I just checked and this seller still has items listed under SA Originals that are not SA Originals.

At any rate, the moving of that item to international art is a small victory in itself and will hopefully have assisted some unsuspecting buyer.

Thank you.

Thanks, I did not notice that at first glance.

I have requested that all those items be listed appropriately - under International art.

Hopefully the seller will comply with the request, we will see if they change these listings...

Kind regards

Cuan

Pharos

Well done

Thank you Cuan.

Well done. It is good to know that you are looking out for us.

Kind regards

Pharos

artworks

Less Mass Produced Paintings In The Sa Original Art Category

HI PHAROS,

YOUR RECENT POST :

"A point in fact is the ongoing irritation being caused by mass produced Chinese paintings that are being sold as original South African art."

I HAVE JUST BROWSED THE 1ST 15 PAGES OF SA ORIGINAL ART, "WHATS NEW" AND HAVE NOTED THAT THERE IS NO CHINESE ART LISTED HERE.

ALSO TO NOTE IS THAT THE ART LISTING WAS AT 10200 ITEMS, A FEW WEEKS AGO, AND IS NOW AT 4500 ITEMS. PERHAPS THESE PAINTINGS ARE NO LONGER AVAILABLE HERE IN LARGE QUANTITIES.

SEEMS AS THOUGH YOUR POSTINGS RE THIS MATTER HAVE FINALLY HELPED SOMEWHAT. I HAVE ALSO NOTED THAT THESE PAINTINGS ARE MAINLY SOLD BY OVERSEAS SELLERS. IN MY OPINION BIDORBUY SHOULD BE EXCLUSIVE TO SA SELLERS TO LIST, OTHERWISE WE WILL AGAIN HAVE TOO MUCH LISTINGS IN THE ART SECTION AND WE WILL BE HARDLY MAKING ANY ART SALES