Sign in to follow this  
MsPlod

Gemstone rings??

MsPlod

:confused: Is it normal to have gemstone rings in the Gems section?

Shouldn't they be in the Rings - gemstones section?

lilythepink

I would think so but I suppose if something contains gemstones then it could be listed in either place? What do others think?

Lukeness

The listings could also have been put in the additional category at a fee

MsPlod

Thank you!

Many thanks LilythePink and Lukeness! Just the first time I (in my great newness) had observed this.

Got a bitofa surprise this morning seeing a whole load of metal in the gem section - recovered quickly though ...

Hava lovely day!:D

qball

Please report these to communitywatch@bidorbuy.co.za or use the "Spot a Problem" link on the item page. Rings should not be listed under the gemstone categories, rather under jewellery.

Lukeness

Except, unless I'm mistaken, if the seller has opted for a Promotional Category Listing where you may:

List your item in a second Promotional category

GemHeaven
Please report these to communitywatch@bidorbuy.co.za or use the "Spot a Problem" link on the item page. Rings should not be listed under the gemstone categories, rather under jewellery.

I agree with Msplod, it is a bit of a shock when you open the gem section and all you see is jewellery. If buyers wants to view these items, they will go to that category, but instead they have to scroll through 2 pages before they get to the actual reason as to why they viewed gemstones.

On the sellers behalf, we all pay to have frontline exposure and now with all of this going on. What is the point of paying, we might as well just list all over the show as it looks like a circus right now in our section.

Regards

GemHeaven

MsPlod

On the sellers behalf, we all pay to have frontline exposure and now with all of this going on. What is the point of paying, we might as well just list all over the show as it looks like a circus right now in our section.

Regards

GemHeaven

Maybe the gem traders should start selling some of their finest as priority listings in the "Toys and hobbies" section to get a point across?

Sorry, doesn't contribute at all really - but I do think it is tough enough for the gem traders already, without having to deal with jewellery being plugged into the mix.:confused:

GemHeaven

LOL...yes I totally agree with you. It is very frustrating.

admin
Except, unless I'm mistaken, if the seller has opted for a Promotional Category Listing where you may:

If the item fits into more than one category, the seller can list it in a second 'Promotional' category.

That item would fall under Gemstone Rings and Jewellery & Watches - Rings, as a first and second 'Promotional' category. It is the only two categories it fits in. ;)

Lukeness

The trouble is that part of the terms is only stated under the fees and not where the listing option is given.

MsPlod

And they're back!!

The rings are back in the Wednesday crazy auction... :confused:

I have asked the sellers - hopefully politely - whether they would mind keeping the rings where they belong.:rolleyes:

MsPlod

Not according to this jewellery trader...

That item would fall under Gemstone Rings and Jewellery & Watches - Rings, as a first and second 'Promotional' category. It is the only two categories it fits in. ;)

Here is my question to one of the jewellery sellers - and her response (it is all available in public view - so nothing disclosed that should not be...)

Your question was;

Isn't this (and your other gem rings) more appropriate within the rings and jewellery sections? It is most frustrating to look for gems and have to wade through jewellery. Please understand that...

The answer is;

Hi, maybe not you, but a lot of other gemseekers also buy jewelery with valuable gems for the sake of the gem and not the jewelery. When I feel that the gem is worth listing in the gem section, I list it there for the people who is interested. Surely its not THAT bad scrolling past it, if you are not interested? Greetings

My gut response to that is that "All other gem seekers buy toilet paper - but have no interest in seeing it advertised in the gem section - despite the high demand and real need to use it daily" - but of course I am much too polite to put that out in public - just venting here - beg pardon!!:mad:

Ugh!!

lilythepink

LOL, Ms Plod!! But I am in total agreement with your sentiments! A ring is NOT a gemstone, even though it may contain a gemstone. Same as a ring is not gold bullion, even though it contains gold!

Cali Craft and Gems

The seller is trying to take advantage of a loophole he / she has found in the system!

If a buyer wants jewellery, then they will look in the Jewellery section.

If a buyer wants gemstones, then they do not want to wade through stacks of jewellery listings just to find what they want! This jams the system unnecessarily and frustrates potential buyers.

I for one have been put off bidding on the crazy gem listings due to the amount of listings that "don't belong" in that particular section!

Perhaps it is ok for one or maximum two listings being promoted in the section, but NOT nearly all of the particular sellers' listings! (as at 08h55, fourteen out of 66 entries of jewellery in the gem section from two sellers - 21% of the section to items that don't belong there!)

:mad:

PrimoGems

Only BOB can sort this problem out, hopefully they do it soon because it's really unfair to the gem sellers. We all know being on the first page is rather important even if you only pay the R20 listing you still stand a chance being at the bottom of the page, but thats not going to happen now, you need to pay R100 listing and still stand a chance to be on the second page such as last week Bountyhunter was on the second page never seen that before.

The next proplem is once one person starts doing it a over and over a patern will start. The gem section will start looking like the jewellery section there will be followers for sure. The gem sellers will grow tired of this behaviour and list less and less or maybe even better start listing in the ring section and state perfect sapphire 1ct just waiting to be mounted in your ring. Perfect white round diamond for that pendant you always wanted.

lilythepink

Seems the ring with gemstone seller does not listen to instructions! Can't BoB take some action - quickly - before things get out of hand? :confused:

MsPlod

Mixed categories...

Only BOB can sort this problem out, hopefully they do it soon because it's really unfair to the gem sellers. We all know being on the first page is rather important even if you only pay the R20 listing you still stand a chance being at the bottom of the page, but thats not going to happen now, you need to pay R100 listing and still stand a chance to be on the second page such as last week Bountyhunter was on the second page never seen that before.

The next proplem is once one person starts doing it a over and over a patern will start. The gem section will start looking like the jewellery section there will be followers for sure. The gem sellers will grow tired of this behaviour and list less and less or maybe even better start listing in the ring section and state perfect sapphire 1ct just waiting to be mounted in your ring. Perfect white round diamond for that pendant you always wanted.

Spot on PrimoGems!!

Remember what Andries wrote in this same thread?:

That item would fall under Gemstone Rings and Jewellery & Watches - Rings, as a first and second 'Promotional' category. It is the only two categories it fits in.

I think I shall start selling cut-rate gems in the jewellery section next week...:P Should be able to retire early!

Alass

Hello,

I have been looking at this issue as a ring seller and have decided for the good relations of all buyers and sellers alike to remove my promotional category listing in the gemstone section.

Unfortunately.. as we are so close to the auction commencing BidorBuy locks me from changing this option for the Crazy Wednesday auction stating that i have had some exposure so that changes cannot be completed.

So i will instead need indulgence this Wednesday and then not list rings in the gemstone section in the future so that everyone has a fighting chance.

We are all after the same thing here on Bidorbuy so we should be able to all meet each other in the middle :-)

Very disappointed to hear the other sellers response though MSplod. I would have thought that other sellers would have the courtesy to take their items off as a gesture of good will and friendship.. but i guess not everyone is as giving :-)

I would perhaps recommend that there are some kind of conditions attached to the promotional category section.. say for example... you can only list x amount of other items in this section or something?

Have a good day everyone

Cheers

Alass

qball

Please report inappropriate listings to communitywatch@bidorbuy.co.za or use the Spot a problem link on the item page. If it is a ring it must not be listed under Gemstones & Rocks, rings are Jewellery and should only be listed under Jewellery. Morne will be taking the necessary action in this regard.

Thank you

Cuan

Alass

Hello Cuan,

As per my previous post.. I do indeed intent to for the sake of good relations not use the promotional category listing in the future however..

I cannot remove the promotional category without deleting all of my listings and relisting again... and i have alot of exposure that will be lost by doing this.

Are you happy for me to leave the items where they are for this week or do you have a way i can remove the promotional category without damaging my listings

Cheers

Alass

qball

Sorry, we must have posted almost at the same time. Your efforts in this regard are appreciated. You can leave the listings as is for now, but in future please ensure the items are listed appropriately.

Thank you

Cuan

MsPlod

Clarity!!!

Just to clarify that this Q&A (below) was NOT Alass who responded to my question. I did not send a question to Alass but PM'd instead since Alass is a forum user.

Alass's response ON THIS MATTER is now public, contrite and clear. Personally as a buyer, if I know that from Thursday onwards it will not happen again, I have no reason (or intent) to wish any trader to lose trade:confused:

Here is my question to one of the jewellery sellers - and her response (it is all available in public view - so nothing disclosed that should not be...)

Your question was;

Isn't this (and your other gem rings) more appropriate within the rings and jewellery sections? It is most frustrating to look for gems and have to wade through jewellery. Please understand that...

The answer is;

Hi, maybe not you, but a lot of other gemseekers also buy jewelery with valuable gems for the sake of the gem and not the jewelery. When I feel that the gem is worth listing in the gem section, I list it there for the people who is interested. Surely its not THAT bad scrolling past it, if you are not interested? Greetings

My gut response to that is that "All other gem seekers buy toilet paper - but have no interest in seeing it advertised in the gem section - despite the high demand and real need to use it daily" - but of course I am much too polite to put that out in public - just venting here - beg pardon!!:mad:

Ugh!!

lilythepink
Personally as a buyer, if I know that from Thursday onwards it will not happen again, I have no reason (or intent) to wish any trader to lose trade:confused:

And so say all of us, MsPlod. I, too, certainly do not wish alass any harm! :)

MsPlod

It has been creeping along...

There are a number of traders who have been advertising rings, bracelets, necklaces and beads in the gemstones sections. Every time I see it I have sent an email notice to Community Watch - haven't been mentioning it here because it happens so frequently and it just is not stopping.

The latest offering are a selection of necklaces (thinly disguised as gemstone beads - oh puleeeez - jewellery or crafts - take your pick...).

Any ideas as to how to reduce these irritating intrusions into a fairly well-defined category? :rolleyes: