Sign in to follow this  
jacque31

Rip off

jacque31    10
jacque31

So much had been talked about regarding postage being excessive, and that if this is the case BoB will have a look at those listings. But what about all the sellers that's postage is reasonable ask 5% for insurance? As i understand normal is 2% and speed is 1% right. So that is a set amount. So how can you charge 5% if clearly that's not what you have to pay for? Am i correct in my statement or am i missing something here?:confused:

R1500 item at 1% = R15

R1500 item at 5% = R75

Okay so not major money we're talking about here - but still that's not being used and the buyers is giving that money for nothing.

mellowred    10
mellowred

That is really a blatant rip off.

Postage and Packaging can be defended in many ways (some reasons are just excuses) but as you say, adding insurance costs the seller exactly nothing, and making a profit on it should not be allowed.

jacque31    10
jacque31
That is really a blatant rip off.

Postage and Packaging can be defended in many ways (some reasons are just excuses) but as you say, adding insurance costs the seller exactly nothing, and making a profit on it should not be allowed.

Glad to see i'm not complaining about nothing here. I don't buy a lot but feel that this is an area exploited by many sellers (not all though). So what i want to know - what is BoB's view on this? Should be an easy thing to enforce though, the rates are known by all and is set - so if a sellers rate isn't the same then they should be notified to change it or have the risk of being dealt with however BoB deals with it. I mean - more clear it can't be - it's clear as day that this area is being abused and there is no grey areas.

So BoB? What's the deal?

babyface2    10
babyface2

i agree postage should be the correct amount with maybe 2 or 3 rand for bubble wrap and tape etc. i really think that bob should delete any item that has excessive postage. it is just a way of making unfair profit and not paying the correct commision. :) do i detect a bit of corruption here viva anc:rolleyes:

mellowred    10
mellowred
Glad to see i'm not complaining about nothing here. I don't buy a lot but feel that this is an area exploited by many sellers (not all though). So what i want to know - what is BoB's view on this? Should be an easy thing to enforce though, the rates are known by all and is set - so if a sellers rate isn't the same then they should be notified to change it or have the risk of being dealt with however BoB deals with it. I mean - more clear it can't be - it's clear as day that this area is being abused and there is no grey areas.

So BoB? What's the deal?

Hi Jacques

I don't think BoB will enforce set postage fees. Some items do require special packaging and do take a lot of time to wrap carefully, others can really just be safely placed in an envelope and posted, so it would be a difficult thing to regulate.

Someone suggested a while ago that the postage be reflected in bold somewhere at the top of the auction.

If the postage is clearly reflected, the onus in on the buyer to check before he bids. Perhaps all buyers should start reporting sellers who charge exorbitant rates. In most cases it is just to recover costs on their unrealistically cheap sales.

It's also in BoB's interest to warn and/or suspend these sellers. After all, BoB does not collect a success fee on P&P.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

But BoB definitely do take action against people who are "rippers" (i.e. rip buyers off with excessive postage!) Hope this has been reported to CW!

jacque31    10
jacque31

Hi mellowred - sure i understand of postage, the time and all the stuff that goes a long into making it a package and getting it to the post office. But i'm only referring here to the insurance - this has nothing to do with the seller and nothing can be done that somebody can have any reason for changing that %. Because that doesn't cover any seller related work - a buyer is basically paying money to cover 5% of the item value but only 1 or 2% of that amount is being paid to the post office. So it should be easy - don't list 5% for insurance or be dealt with.

jacque31    10
jacque31

Just seen an item for R400 000, 5% insurance - SpeedService 1% = R4000, 5% = R20 000. That's R16 000 that went where, into what?

MsPlod    10
MsPlod
Just seen an item for R400 000, 5% insurance - SpeedService 1% = R4000, 5% = R20 000. That's R16 000 that went where, into what?

Delivery by Learjet - with dancing girls, whirling dervishes, real caviar, Dom Perignon, and a helicopter flip around Hawaii.

I suppose they figure that what they lose in sales they'll make up in shipping, like the other traders who are shipping rip-offs.

They must be smoking their pure silk socks!!!:o

jacque31    10
jacque31
Delivery by Learjet - with dancing girls, whirling dervishes, real caviar, Dom Perignon, and a helicopter flip around Hawaii.

I suppose they figure that what they lose in sales they'll make up in shipping, like the other traders who are shipping rip-offs.

They must be smoking their pure silk socks!!!:o

LOL MsPlod

They can dream on - this should be dealt with asap by BoB.

mellowred    10
mellowred

Seems we should just sell insurance then :P

MsPlod    10
MsPlod
Seems we should just sell insurance then :P

LOL!! :D

jacque31    10
jacque31

Yeah good idea:D

Still waiting for a member of the BoB team's input regarding this subject?

mellowred    10
mellowred
Yeah good idea:D

Still waiting for a member of the BoB team's input regarding this subject?

Don't fret Jacques it is a long weekend, I'm sure someone from BoB will respond asap.

But this problem has been brought up before in various ways. I think the only solution is to report all the "P&P" sellers, and let BoB deal with them individually. Pretty much the same as the con-men watchers.

jacque31    10
jacque31
Don't fret Jacques it is a long weekend, I'm sure someone from BoB will respond asap.

But this problem has been brought up before in various ways. I think the only solution is to report all the "P&P" sellers, and let BoB deal with them individually. Pretty much the same as the con-men watchers.

Thanks mellowred - this will be a lot easier to spot than scammers as the seller is either asking the right or wrong amount. So think they should have people sorting this out. But once they start clearing that up a bit most sellers should catch on quickly and there won't a problem anymore in general regarding this.

jacque31    10
jacque31

Thanks gball - just a question here there are loads of these seller all over BoB, don't you think a bigger effort has to be made to inform the seller that this will started to be monitored and that this is not allowed. Spread the message in a bulk way instead of reporting 1 by 1. Also i don't want to feel like i'm "picking" on sellers and am looking for a solution to address them all. And also by the time i report 1, 2, 3 the another 100 listings has popped up - know what i mean:p

qball    11
qball

This is already outlined in our policies, which all sellers agree to. Unfortunately due to the number of users on the site, we cannot monitor every single user nor control the shipping charges, as there are too many variables to take into account with shipping options. These are dealt with on a case by case basis.

Kind regards

Cuan

mellowred    10
mellowred

Hi Jacques

I do see Cuan's point here. I reflect the weight and P&P in each of my listings, and there are many variables. So even tho I don't profit from P&P I also cannot be limited to one rate. It will be virtually impossible for BoB to check each and every shipping fee listed.

Best you can do is boycott the P&P profiteers, perhaps let them know this via the Q&A on the item and then report them to CW.

So, get on with your buying now and have a great day :P.

jacque31    10
jacque31

thanks mellowred - if only i had money now;)

I completely understand but what i am referring to is the insurance - no variables what so ever! :confused:

mellowred    10
mellowred

I understand and 100% agree. Unfortunately it falls under the P&P section and despite being a total rip off, would be hard to control. :(

jacque31    10
jacque31
I understand and 100% agree. Unfortunately it falls under the P&P section and despite being a total rip off, would be hard to control. :(

Not really - just get the message out that if a seller is asking 5% insurance for items then there listings with that % will be deleted immediately! Easy really;) They will be to scared to press that number 5 key lol:p