Sign in to follow this  
Pharos

Claerhout Fraud

Depot Three

Jislaak, No wonder this Vader Claerhout couldn'tt draw so lekker, he must have got min sleep with all these blommies and donkies he's been painting. Skotnes also produced alot as did Pierneef and Sydney carter, not to mention the prolific WH Coetzer. He decorated the voortrekker monument, all the commerative bowls, stamps and key rings as well as painting himself painting the opening of the monument. PLUS he painted ever berg in the drakensberg and most of the clouds. But has anyone considered that Claerhout painted alot of Donkey's....Yes. But imagine how many donkey's he didn't paint...shame...always the bride donkey and never the...oh well...But seriously, forgery is an increasing problem in SA Art and one must consider what the net is good for buying...TV's,Cellphones...Investment Art, maybe not. The first thing sotheby's or bernardi's will ask about is the provenance, and the Net is not a good one.

paranovalty

This a sick attack from all on the master Father Frans Claerhout!! Did you know the person have you had to do with him? NO?!!! This is the final and last warning to you all> You have no art interest and knowledge and your threads? have been running for quite a while! Have you ever thought of the artist and people who really loved him? NO! YOU want to be the great art and authenticity person! Well you have downed art and other dealers have authenticated it as the REAL Claerhout. As so far as your dear newspaper article and the next and the next HAS anybody found the story to be true? Has the Lady in question ever been investigated ? There has never beena case nor anything else but love and care from this lady!! The allegations SHOULD stop as in my lifetime I have never met nor seen the Rosa Jonker who has done anything wrong against Father bou WIPED his bum and fed him and really cared for him If all else fails I think I should speak to the lady being crucified and let het really tell het story. How many dealrs and SO CALLED FRIENDS would be embaressed. Bertus this is a final call to you and bob to put a stop to this nonsense

paranovalty

there is no way that it could or would be allowed that the name of Father Claerhout would be messed with and made a mockery of. The threads put on bob must now have substance or please next time contact us and lets have a talk>

Pharos
This a sick attack from all on the master Father Frans Claerhout!! Did you know the person have you had to do with him? NO?!!! This is the final and last warning to you all> You have no art interest and knowledge and your threads? have been running for quite a while! Have you ever thought of the artist and people who really loved him? NO! YOU want to be the great art and authenticity person! Well you have downed art and other dealers have authenticated it as the REAL Claerhout. As so far as your dear newspaper article and the next and the next HAS anybody found the story to be true? Has the Lady in question ever been investigated ? There has never beena case nor anything else but love and care from this lady!! The allegations SHOULD stop as in my lifetime I have never met nor seen the Rosa Jonker who has done anything wrong against Father bou WIPED his bum and fed him and really cared for him If all else fails I think I should speak to the lady being crucified and let het really tell het story. How many dealrs and SO CALLED FRIENDS would be embaressed. Bertus this is a final call to you and bob to put a stop to this nonsense

There is no attack on Claerhout, but rather a discussion about the unscrupulous people who are forging his work. If you are so concerned about Claerhout's reputation, you should also be angry about the forgeries that are being sold. Instead you are taking umbrage at very real concerns expressed by decent people who do not like what is going on. Why are you so angry if you are innocent?

I'm pleased that you admit to knowing Rosa Jonker - it is not a matter for debate - all one has to do is google her name and Claerhout's and you immediately find articles in respected newspapers that show that it is a FACT that she produced forgeries of Claerhout's work. I would love to know what your relationship to her is - if you loved Claerhout as much as you say, then someone who was proven to have forged his work ought to be very low in your summation - interesting that you defend her.

You have sold over 500 Claerhouts in the last year - that is an exceptionally large collection - how many do you still have? 1000? 2000? Unlimited supply?

Did you know - Certain Claerhouts bought from you have been taken for authentication?

Did you know - when an artists work is forged each and every forgery is considered a criminal act and is prosecuted in it's own right with hefty prison terms to go with it. If someone was found guilty of forging even five paintings, they could be looking at LIFE in prison?

If you are selling genuine Claerhouts then you have nothing to worry about, and really ought not to get worked up by what we have to say here.

MsPlod
If you are so concerned about Claerhout's reputation, you should also be angry about the forgeries that are being sold....

....If you are selling genuine Claerhouts then you have nothing to worry about, and really ought not to get worked up by what we have to say here.

Extremely important points made here by Pharos paranovalty. Think you should be very grateful to anyone trying to make sure that F. Claerhout is not being copied and that any items sold are most definitely real and not fraudulent. Fraud is an extremely serious crime!

ChrizHan
Oils - Stunning Baby Frames...Original F. Claerhout........Flowers...26 x 28 cm with frame for sale in Margate / Port Shepstone (ID:30318603)

I can't seem to find the thread where Claerhouts were discussed and we were told to expect something to happen. Is this what was meant? That they would now come ready-framed so that the dryness (or wetness) of the paint couldn't be checked? :wondering:

Guess what? Now the donkey is also framed ...

Oils - Stunning Gift!! Original F. Claerhout Donkey......low....low....start.....R250.00. was sold for R775.00 on 19 Dec at 22:01 by ChrizHan in Margate / Port Shepstone (ID:30318590)

As jy niks beter het om te doen nie, gaan speel bowls of iets........maar wees BAIE versigtig met jou aantygings, en as ek die skilderye wil laat raam of nuwe rame laat aanbring het dit niks maar NIKS met jou te doen nie.......

Pharos

Some interesting reading:

Forgery bombshell

2002-05-05 19:47

share.pngemail.pngprint.png

Johannesburg - Hundreds of artworks by world-renowned artist Father Frans Claerhout will soon be worth virtually nothing. In a frank interview, the Belgian painter of Tweespruit in the Free State admitted that a trusted friend has been falsifying his art for years.

The forgeries, which have apparently been in circulation for three years, will be a blow to Claerhout collectors. The humanitarian artist, who has been painting since 1953, leads a solitary life at a Roman Catholic convent outside Tweespruit. He gives most of his money to the church.

Claerhout was visibly sad when he talked about the falsifying of his paintings. He admitted for the first time that Rosa Jonker, a middle aged Bloemfontein businesswoman, was behind the falsification of some of his paintings. She had been like a daughter to him over the past 45 years, he said.

Confessed

"Rosa came to me to confess. She wanted to shoot herself. This has been going on for years. Hundreds of my works have been falsified."

Claerhout (83) says the fraud is not limited to Jonker and Bloemfontein. He knows of at least three other places in the country, including Jeffreysbay in the Eastern Cape, where his paintings and sketches are being falsified.

A tired Claerhout, whiskey in hand, says he doesn't know why he has kept quiet about the scam for so long.

West Rand police have since launched a hunt for the false Claerhouts. Detectives recently went to Tweespruit to discuss the case with Claerhout personally.

Father Michael Bissonnette, an old friend and colleague of Claerhout who also lives at the convent, said several artworks have been pointed out to the police that are definitely not originals. "Among the works there is a total falsification and one sketch that has been coloured by someone else."

Bissonette says a sculpture of a donkey signed by Claerhout, is also not his handiwork. "I told father Claerhout not to sign it. It's not his work. It was done by some black men in the area."

Claerhout initially said the donkey sculpture was "Rosa's project" and that he wanted nothing to do with it. On Saturday, he said that the donkey sculpture was indeed his own work.

Bissonette said Claerhout was being used by people "to do things" that are not completely honest. "He is too good a person. He can't say no. Jonker is one of the people using father Claerhout for her own selfish reasons." Jonker recently released a statement to all dealers in which Claerhout vouches that all the Claerhouts sold by her (Jonker), are authentic. It is now evident that this is not the truth.

'Must come to an end'

"Father Claerhout will never refuse to draw something for friends or family. Over the past couple of years, he has only been doing charcoal sketches.

"These sketches are now being coloured by someone else and then sold for thousands of rands. For the sake of his art, his good name and the church, this must come to an end."

Bissonette says Jonker has been getting sketches from Claerhout for years. "No one knows what hold she has on him. Now and then she brings him a bottle of whiskey or a present."

Apart from the falsified work, sold at about R10 000 a piece, colour photostats of Claerhout's best paintings are being burnt into canvas through a heat process on special paper. They are also being sold as originals.

Inspector Reggie Kilner, from Westonaria, confirmed that several cases of fraud involving Claerhout artworks are under investigation.

"We suspect Claerhout artworks are being falsified on a massive scale." Bank statements show Jonker recently started paying back large sums of money to people who complained to her about falsifications.

Piet Burger, a businessman from Cape Town, received back R56 000 in this way.

Jonker, who apparently has a predilection for gambling, refuses to discuss the allegations. Last week she said she knew nothing of falsified Claerhouts.

- Rapport

Now, would Claerhout lie about this person?

Would a one time forger, who had the gall to do so while the artist was alive, stop once the artist had passed away?

RISadler
... You have no art interest and knowledge ... YOU want to be the great art and authenticity person! Well you have downed art ...

Although I respect Claerhout's reasons for producing art, I have never taken a fancy to it. I also feel the prices being paid are ridiculous, irrespective of the forgery issue, as he just wasn't that good.

lilythepink
As jy niks beter het om te doen nie, gaan speel bowls of iets........maar wees BAIE versigtig met jou aantygings, en as ek die skilderye wil laat raam of nuwe rame laat aanbring het dit niks maar NIKS met jou te doen nie.......

Dear ChrizHan. I think the explanations in this thread speak for themselves. If you are selling authentic Claerhout pictures then you should also be standing up to be counted against possible forgeries! Nuff said.

Pharos

This very artwork was brought to me for authentication:

Acrylics - 90x30x4 Acrylic on canvas Claerhout original This Weekend auction for sale in Bloemfontein (ID:31551330)

I told him that I do not believe it is an original because:

1) In my opinion it does not look like an original Claerhout.

2) The acrylic paint with which it was painted was not entirely dry - I demonstrated this by pushing my finger-nail into the paint.

But then, just my opinion - maybe Paranovalty can give an explanation as to how an acrylic painting is not entirely dry - almost five years after the artist who is meant to have painted it has died.

RISadler
If you are selling authentic Claerhout pictures then you should also be standing up to be counted against possible forgeries! Nuff said.

I agree.

... an explanation as to how an acrylic painting is not entirely dry - almost five years after the artist who is meant to have painted it has died.

Stored in damp conditions? No, that would affect the "canvas". Or seeing as we get quick-drying cement/paint/clothes/whatever, how about slow-drying acrylic paint? No, probably not.

Anyway, I can't believe somebody paid that amount for that painting. Why?

qball

Seeing as this topic is becoming personal and confrontational it will be closed.