Sign in to follow this  
Pharos

Claerhout Fraud

qball

Please keep the topic on track...

Thanks

Cuan

lilythepink

When I first saw this seller's "Claerhout donkey painting" a while back, I asked her who certifies that it is an original. If I am remembering correctly, I understood her replies to be that she has an uncertified copy of a document stating that it is an original!

I would think that if a painting (or anything else) is proven to be something other than what one has invested in, there would be a case of fraud which could be laid against the seller. But I didn't continue with my questions as I think the seller was quite adamant she was in the right.

Pharos

Hey Lilly

I think you will find that it was another big seller of Claerhout's that uses the "I have a certified copy of a certificate" story. Easy to confuse the two though as the styles in which their Claerhout's are painted are very similar. I also notice that they enjoy bidding on each others listings, which is a good thing when the bid is too low.

As for the whole fraud thing; and what happens to people caught forging artist's work, they are quite simply liable to end up in prison. And there are experts who can verify the authenticity of a Claerhout. As far as I know there is an investigation into fraudulent Claerhouts currently underway. Will be interesting to see the outcome.

I urge anybody who has bought a Claerhout, and is not sure of it's authenticity to contact me.

Ciao

Pharos

When I first saw this seller's "Claerhout donkey painting" a while back, I asked her who certifies that it is an original. If I am remembering correctly, I understood her replies to be that she has an uncertified copy of a document stating that it is an original!

I would think that if a painting (or anything else) is proven to be something other than what one has invested in, there would be a case of fraud which could be laid against the seller. But I didn't continue with my questions as I think the seller was quite adamant she was in the right.

lilythepink

Thanks, Pharos. This IS definitely the seller of whom I asked questions and got the reply which you have outlined above. I didn't take any chances and have no intention of doing so!

Pharos

Hi all - latest development in this matter - it seems charges of fraud are imminent. What this space!

anerstemens

I`m glued to my screen,....

Hi all - latest development in this matter - it seems charges of fraud are imminent. What this space!

moppies

Het ook gedink die donkies lyk darem baie na mekaar (kon ma-donkie dalkies 'n twaalfling gehad het? .....):wondering:

lilythepink

This will be interesting indeed! And to think we were suspicious long ago and nobody took any notice ...!? :suspicious:

MsPlod

You have a captive and captivated audience Pharos :grin:

kyle2

Yes please pin the tail on the thing already!:grin:

MsPlod

We want to know who has been making an ass out of whom?

Holds breath...

Pharos

Ha, ha, good to know that you're all so keen on this subject: Basically, a client of mine brought some "Claerhouts" to me for authentication and the acrylic paint was not even entirely dry! Now, I'm not going to mention who he bought them from, but you're all sharp enough to make your own assumptions. I have recommended a case of fraud be opened and am in the process of collecting more evidence.

Will keep you posted.

Ciao

Pharos

lilythepink

The plot thickens ....!

ClickandShip

Ass -- et no more..

RISadler

Let's see, from Bob's Book of Quotes:

"We told 'em so."

"A fool and his money are soon parted."

"There's a sucker born every minute."

And my personal favourite:

"Never over-estimate the intelligence of the general public."

Well, at least it'll display nicely alongside their collection of "Inauguration R5" coins. Bwahahahaha!!!!

TheJeweller
Where they will participate in the "skills development programme" and learn a few new tricks in forging art.

The big question is whether it is possible to distinguish a genuine Claerhout from a forgery?

Yes, it is possible, for the experts. Each piece of just about anything have his age, and it is possible to find out how old it is.

TheJeweller

It is look like he paint it lots of donkeys.

MsPlod
It is look like he paint it lots of donkeys.

If you read a little about the fraudulent activities exposed in 2002 then you will find information such as this...

"Apart from the falsified work, sold at about R10 000 a piece, colour photostats of Claerhout's best paintings are being burnt into canvas through a heat process on special paper. They are also being sold as originals."

RISadler
... are also being sold as originals.

Original forgeries, you mean?

daddie2610

Verbeel ek my of skielik is daar nie so baie "donkies" te koop nie .......mmmmmmmmmmmm

lilythepink
Verbeel ek my of skielik is daar nie so baie "donkies" te koop nie .......mmmmmmmmmmmm

Now this is interesting ...!

ATA STAMP CENTRE

Die donkie kom weer!!

lilythepink

Framed "original" Claerhout

Oils - Stunning Baby Frames...Original F. Claerhout........Flowers...26 x 28 cm with frame for sale in Margate / Port Shepstone (ID:30318603)

I can't seem to find the thread where Claerhouts were discussed and we were told to expect something to happen. Is this what was meant? That they would now come ready-framed so that the dryness (or wetness) of the paint couldn't be checked? :wondering:

Guess what? Now the donkey is also framed ...

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/30318590/Stunning_Gift_Original_F_Claerhout_Donkey_low_low_start_R250_00.html

Edited by lilythepink