Sign in to follow this  
Guest Guest

LP Records

Guest Guest   
Guest Guest

Hi Guys

How much do you think I can sell a mixed box of LP Records Including Postage Cost?

I relize they are worth , But too me they are worthless. Please help

Its a urgent sale

lilythepink    10
lilythepink
Hi Guys

How much do you think I can sell a mixed box of LP Records Including Postage Cost?

I relize they are worth , But too me they are worthless. Please help

Its a urgent sale

Weigh the pile and then work out the postage. And then set a price you don't want less than and put that in the ad. Good luck.

Craig    10
Craig

I agree, make sure that you know how much it will cost for the postage.

If you really don't mind what you get for them, you should consider putting them on a Crazy Wednesday Auction... you never know what you could get :-)

Just remember to describe your lot nicely so all the buyers understand the value of what they are bidding on :-)

RAG Auctioneers    10
RAG Auctioneers

We sold LPs on our R1 auction. Went for R1 each.....

As with the encyclopedias, you need collectors to stumble along your listings.

mellowred    10
mellowred
We sold LPs on our R1 auction. Went for R1 each.....

As with the encyclopedias, you need collectors to stumble along your listings.

I totally agree with this. I have stopped R1 auctions. I found them a waste of time and money.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

I enjoy the R1.00 auctions - buying and selling. Only items I really want to get rid of do I put on the R1.00 auctions and hope that someone else will be interested in them, even if it's only for R1.00. This is a great way to declutter one's life and give someone else the benefit of useful items.

RAG Auctioneers    10
RAG Auctioneers

You really just need two bidders to get the bids to an acceptable level.

The problem with LP records is there are no bidders.. :)

RISadler    10
RISadler
The problem with LP records is there are no bidders.. :)

Like was said on the 1960's encyclopaedia thread, many things count towards the true value of an LP. Buying off the Internet is basically sight unseen and whereas a book in poor condition can still be read (and thus enjoyed), an LP in mediocre condition is unusable. Even an LP in fair condition requires much work and one nick can ruin it.

Radiation Raver    10
Radiation Raver

Value of LP and 7" vinyl

I found that it is a whole lot easier to buy the music on the internet. The problem with "old records" is that they are old and damaged and full of static, rice crispies and serious dust. I used to collect vinyl as I was a mobile DJ. When MP3 took over it killed the vinyl market.

Good luck anyway

wayjen    10
wayjen

just had a buyer bid on 3 of my albums so lets see what happens.

RISadler    10
RISadler
I found that it is a whole lot easier to buy the music on the internet. The problem with "old records" is that they are old and damaged and full of static, rice crispies and serious dust. I used to collect vinyl as I was a mobile DJ. When MP3 took over it killed the vinyl market.

Good luck anyway

Exactly why one needs to (at least) visual inspect an LP before purchase, or buy from a reputable dealer in vintage LP's.

But I do feel that LP's have a much better sound than (digitally remastered) CD/MP3 music. Even my LP's that have been converted to MP3 sound better.

wayjen    10
wayjen

Good luck anyway

i would have thought DJs would still go after the old school albums and singles so that they can get a beat or mix a tune or whatever it's called.

GPOEL    10
GPOEL

Lp Records

True Buyers of LP's are very particular. The condition of the record has to very good unless it is very,very rare. Don't attempt to sell rubbish that you found somewhere without doing your homework . The record industry of the 50's , 60's and 70's is very complicated and intricate and your selective buyers have a great knowledge of this and the many variables. Unfortunately about 80% percent of all records in SA are not worth much to true "audiophiles" . I have found this over and over in my dealings on Bob and elsewhere, with records. Without having an understanding of music, artists,the record industry and even record players , you will be wasting your time selling records...

wayjen    10
wayjen

but there is a difference between trying to sell a record that may be worth something due to its age and selling a record because you no longer listen to it or you found it in a box somewhere. one person may buy it because they are a collector and another will buy it for nostalgic purposes.

mellowred    10
mellowred

I'm just sitting on my LPs for now. When I have time I'm going to research the prices on the net.

If I'm only going to get R1 for them I'd rather make something out of them. Or just stick the covers on a wall and get all nostalgic about the old days. ;)

RISadler    10
RISadler
If I'm only going to get R1 for them I'd rather make something out of them. Or just stick the covers on a wall and get all nostalgic about the old days. ;)

Many times do I see auctions on BoB where the seller is, in my opinion, asking too much and where I'd actually buy the record in a flash if the asking price was five or ten Rand instead of fifty, seventy-five or more Rand.

I am not a collector of LP's, but rather of music. So many times I do in fact "ruin" the album just to MP3 a few songs. And I am willing to purchase multiples of the same to take a chance that I particular part isn't damaged.

But as was said by GPOEL, the real collectors of vintage LP's know what they want and they want it in mint condition.

dstorm    10
dstorm

Hello all

Perhaps the following is relevant, perhaps not….

I sell 100’s of LPs every month from my shop, mostly at R5-00 or R10-00 each. It seems as if most of the buyers are buying nostalgia – the condition of the LP covers seemingly more important than the actual condition of the LP itself.

And most of the buyers appear to be in the age group 45+ and 45++++++.

Regards

Jacques

babyface2    10
babyface2

snet

if i were you i would systematically list these lps at R5.00 a piece and get some money for them i kno nothing of the value but i have quite a few listed and some fetch high prices.

RAG Auctioneers    10
RAG Auctioneers

In the past 3 weeks we have sold over 200 records - Sold them for old estates.

I dont know what condition they were in, and I wasnt going to take time to check each one. (I know nothing about them anyway). For all I know, there could have been some real treasure in there.

But anyway, they all went for R1 each......Bargain.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

Yes, R1 each is a bargain for whoever got those records, RAG, but I think Snet is hoping to make some money out of his LP's. He has posted that he is "broke". lol