Sign in to follow this  
RISadler

Old negatives & slides...

RISadler    10
RISadler

I am looking for old negatives and slides.

mellowred    10
mellowred

Black and white only?

Cali Craft and Gems    10
Cali Craft and Gems

Any particular "subject"? I've also got a slide projector, but must first find the slides! (Mom's packed them all somewhere...)

My father and his father were avid photographers in the 60's and 70's so we have literally hundreds of slides (somewhere). They were both members of the Rhodesia and SA Camera Club and won several awards for their images. We have no use for the slides ourselves so will ask Mom as soon as she returns this week.

Guest Guest   
Guest Guest

anyone want to buy old LP records ?

wayjen    10
wayjen

had some pictures and wet plates on BoB before that were bought.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink
I am looking for old negatives and slides.

Are you wanting a particular subject? I've recently passed all our slides on to our sons in Cape Town but can PM you with their info if you are desperate! (It will mean the family will HAVE to take a look at all the old pics - ha! ha!)

And what do you call "old" negatives? 60's and 70's old enough?

RISadler    10
RISadler
Black and white only?

Colour and black & white; 35mm, 110 and 120; doesn't matter.

Any particular "subject"?

Preferably Southern Africa, but basically anything African. Obviously I'll have to filter through a lot of vacation snaps looking for photos of historical significance. (Oom Piet en Tannie Bets standing in front of their now-demolished house is historically significant. As is snaps of the kids playing in the sand at Plett before they over-developed the place.)

And what do you call "old" negatives? 60's and 70's old enough?

No timeframe, basically any slides and negatives not wanted anymore. Even last years trip to Namibia would qualify.

I would also appreciate borrowing the negatives and slides (for an extended period), so that I can scan, research and catalogue them.

RISadler    10
RISadler
anyone want to buy old LP records ?

Not at the moment. I still have a few to digitize. But do put them on auction.

mellowred    10
mellowred

Oh I love those Oom Piet en Tannie Bets photos. Particularly the whole family together - all dressed up - so serious - and mostly with Pa looking like sergeant major.

We have packs of negatives but just family shots, the only "historical value" ones would be from England.

I'll have a look for old Rhodesia negatives if you like. (?)

RISadler    10
RISadler

One can get a lot of information from "family snaps," like for example the clothes of the era (what was considered formal and informal) or how houses were furnished.

Recommended book on a similar subject is In Small Things Forgotten, by James Deetz.

A big YES! on the Rhodesia pictures.

Guest Guest   
Guest Guest

I have put all my set of 6 Records on Auction , how much do you think they worth. For All 6 , I am starting them at 300.00

RISadler    10
RISadler

This discussion is actually about photographic slides and negatives, and not about audio LP's. Nonetheless, in that whole dozen there is only one that I might be interested in.

Guest Guest   
Guest Guest

I opened a thread in the other section if you interested.

mellowred    10
mellowred
One can get a lot of information from "family snaps," like for example the clothes of the era (what was considered formal and informal) or how houses were furnished.

Recommended book on a similar subject is In Small Things Forgotten, by James Deetz.

A big YES! on the Rhodesia pictures.

Excuse my ignorance, but do you need negatives/slides for quality of the photos?

The reason I'm asking is because if you are able to accept digital prints I have possible access to dozens of Rhodesian photos but I doubt whether the owners would part with negatives.

Would you accept reasonable quality digitals. Obviously most are scanned photos.

Will scratch about for negatives from my stash over the weekend. (You will owe me a dust mask! ;))

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

RISadler - I've sent you a PM. Have you received it?

RISadler    10
RISadler
Excuse my ignorance, but do you need negatives/slides for quality of the photos?

No, not really. It is just that most people do not attach must value to these, especially those of a deceased relative. So, instead of chucking them away, I am interested. Kind of a "Negative & Slide Sanctuary."

On the other hand, negatives and slides can be rescanned for more detail as the technology improves.

The reason I'm asking is because if you are able to accept digital prints I have possible access to dozens of Rhodesian photos but I doubt whether the owners would part with negatives.

Would you accept reasonable quality digitals. Obviously most are scanned photos.

Digital is A-OK. However, I am currently just actively interested in the old Cape Province (the new Western, Northern and Eastern Cape), locomotives and ships, so digitals of other stuff and areas would just be stored bits on my backup drives. I will take negatives and slides of all areas, as these can be stored much easier and processed at a later date. (Hope that makes it clear.)

Digital scans and photos of the old Cape Province is welcome. I intend to use them on my website and full credit will be given.

Will scratch about for negatives from my stash over the weekend. (You will owe me a dust mask! ;))

Will surgical masks do?

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

LOL I think voldermort needs to be vaccinated as well as wearing a surgical mask. ;)

Cali Craft and Gems
... old Cape Province (the new Western, Northern and Eastern Cape), locomotives and ships...

The locomotives are of considerable interest to me! I love steam trains (SA only) and have stacks of "modern" images of the ones I've been involved with or seen in person over the last 16 years or so.

Also collect SAR memorabilia - cabside plates, builder's plates, coach plates, lamps, locks, etc. (even got married on a steam loco!)

MsPlod    10
MsPlod
The locomotives are of considerable interest to me! I love steam trains (SA only) and have stacks of "modern" images of the ones I've been involved with or seen in person over the last 16 years or so.

Also collect SAR memorabilia - cabside plates, builder's plates, coach plates, lamps, locks, etc. (even got married on a steam loco!)

Have you seen the Fotopic Community :: Fotopic.Net website? Loads of train pics! for those who are loco about loco...:D

@ RISadler - have you tried any of the South African photographic forums and websites. Most of the folks who take pics come from families that took pics. There may well be a wealth of undiscovered africana in there. Great to have it out on display!

Try http://www.outdoorphoto.co.za/ as a starter - there is also Red Bubble - FAUNA, FLORA, LANDSCAPES AND ARCHITECTURE OF SOUTH AFRICA - Art, Photography, T-Shirts, Calendars, Greeting Cards - RedBubble - just one of many South African groups on Red Bubble. Both of these websites have active fora on an array of topics.

Happy hunting!:)

RISadler    10
RISadler

MsPlod,

Another website with many interesting photos is Welcome to Transport in South Africa, but unfortunately the owner doesn't respond to emails.

My objective, however, is not to grab images already on the Internet, but to preserve the photographic heritage. Many of the photographers today are "digital only" in the sense that they have never really worked with film, but this good as they are putting a lot of contemporary images out on the 'net for future generations. But what about the old shutterbug with no interested family? This happens, especially with the perception that film is inferior to digital. Heritage lost!

Cali Craft and Gems

...Another website with many interesting photos is Welcome to Transport in South Africa, but unfortunately the owner doesn't respond to emails...

Aha - you find the hiding place for some of my pics! LOL

Can't recall the site owner's name, but the last I heard she had taken ill so don't know what's happening further than that.

MsPlod    10
MsPlod
MsPlod,

My objective, however, is not to grab images already on the Internet, but to preserve the photographic heritage. Many of the photographers today are "digital only" in the sense that they have never really worked with film, but this good as they are putting a lot of contemporary images out on the 'net for future generations. But what about the old shutterbug with no interested family? This happens, especially with the perception that film is inferior to digital. Heritage lost!

Your point is beautifully made - but what I mean is that you may well find folks that have boxes of photos and / or negatives (taken by their grannies and greatgrandpas, uncles or greataunties) who don't necessarily know what to do with them. My folks for example, got me interested in photography - and they have hoards of old print pics and negs - but live 1600km away right now so I can't delve in for you... My gran had herds of old pics taken of wartime (WWI) Pretoria with aeroplanes and all sorts of things - even daguerrotypes (sp??)- which my folks presumably still have. Digital schmigital (even though that is all I use nowadays) - but I wouldn't be an amateur photographer without the interest from my funny family...

RISadler    10
RISadler

Exactly! You will one day inherit all those photos, negatives, etc., but the problem comes in when the children/grandchildren aren't interested in photography. They don't hang out on photo-forums.

OK, basically what I'm trying to say is that if you are a non-photographer and you inherit/find/buy a box of negatives/slides, then don't throw them out. I want them!

So, in order to get my grubby hands on those unwanted photos, I need to ask for them on non-photography sites/forums - especially those frequented by antique dealers.

As to "which my folks presumably still have" - they'd better still have them, or else! :)

MsPlod    10
MsPlod

Aha!!!! - I'll phone me Mum and Dad!!;)