Sign in to follow this  
Hans100

Postal theft... Please detail your experience here!

KSG001

WITSPOS - The saga continues!

Witspos hub seems to be the crime capital of SAPO, and if I see an article is there, it becomes a nightmare. Either the article never leaves Witspos, or it arrives empty. I have lost a total of 7 parcels in 2 months now due to the long fingers of Witspos employees. Phoning them helps zilch, and they never phone back regarding claims. Absolutely useless service.

I have now got to the point where I rather ask to collect, or to have the option of a private courier, as I cannot afford the financial losses anymore. It hampers my numismatic hobby as I am now restricted to buyers within my vicinity, but SAPO has left me with no other option. If i do bid on items from afar, its usually for less valuable items that I can afford to lose (not really, but still).

Let's hope that in the near future, Mr O__o at Witspos, gets his finger out of where it currently is, and sorts out the riff raff that are stuffing up what is meant to be an efficient postal system. Mr O__o, your motto is "we deliver - what ever it takes". Well it requires only one thing, ACTION. Suspend, discipline and fire the culprits, without fear of Union actions, as I believe that this is currently the stumbling block that faces us, as even Investigators are hampered from entering the premises for fear of Union action.

MiemsJewels

I also lost a parcel at WITSPOS. I filed a complain, so lets see if the person/s with the extra long Fingers will get it burned some time soon!

ATOMICSQUIRREL

Could it be customs for the international packages? They like to open parcels and fiddle around. I have received plenty parcels that were tampered with, luckily nothing was missing though.

Blerrie skelms!

gettothechoppa.jpg

MiemsJewels
Could it be customs for the international packages? They like to open parcels and fiddle around. I have received plenty parcels that were tampered with, luckily nothing was missing though.

Blerrie skelms!

gettothechoppa.jpg

That'a fact!! GROOT SKELMS!!!

TS Ron

Of course Customs checks the parcel you have to an invoice. It is not only customs but I know that items do go into what is called a cage! Who knows what happens while the parcel is in the cage I do not know!

Ricks_Coins

Watchout for WITPOS

Hi Guys

I have sold many items on BOB without incident, until a few people started letting me know that their parcel's have not yet been delivered, upon checking up its seems they have gone missing at WITPOS HUB, I have been warned by many a seller that this is really a HUB to avoid. I also find when insuring and item and declaring the contents value it's just an invite for thieves to steal the item, items contents and value should be hidden. I hope you all agree with that. So if your post travels through WITPOS HUB please do take insurance. Thanks

Regards

Rick aka Ricks_Coins

kebs

I actually have it in my T & C's that if your post goes through this hub, I highly recommend the use of a courier as I have had too many bad experiences with that place!

TS Ron
Hi Guys

I have sold many items on BOB without incident, until a few people started letting me know that their parcel's have not yet been delivered, upon checking up its seems they have gone missing at WITPOS HUB, I have been warned by many a seller that this is really a HUB to avoid. I also find when insuring and item and declaring the contents value it's just an invite for thieves to steal the item, items contents and value should be hidden. I hope you all agree with that. So if your post travels through WITPOS HUB please do take

insurance. Thanks

Regards

Rick aka Ricks_Coins

I have never posted anything unless it has been insured touch wood I have never lost a parcel either.

alloway65
Hi Guys

I have sold many items on BOB without incident, until a few people started letting me know that their parcel's have not yet been delivered, upon checking up its seems they have gone missing at WITPOS HUB, I have been warned by many a seller that this is really a HUB to avoid. I also find when insuring and item and declaring the contents value it's just an invite for thieves to steal the item, items contents and value should be hidden. I hope you all agree with that. So if your post travels through WITPOS HUB please do take insurance. Thanks

Regards

Rick aka Ricks_Coins

The JHB Hub (Witpos) is the main problem....the PO know this and are keeping an eye on things!!!

Unfortunately most mail in and out of Jhb goes through this Hub!

I nearly always use a courier these days for shipping coins even though it costs a bit more at least buyers and I have peace of mind and insurance is only 1%!

If I do send coins through the PO they are well packed and the coins do not rattle around also on the package we declare insured contents as Numismatics!!!

republikein

Rick - it is thus a catch 22 situation... you must insure, but if you insure, the value attracts attention...

AGV Gems
The JHB Hub (Witpos) is the main problem....the PO know this and are keeping an eye on things!!!

Unfortunately most mail in and out of Jhb goes through this Hub!

I nearly always use a courier these days for shipping coins even though it costs a bit more at least buyers and I have peace of mind and insurance is only 1%!

If I do send coins through the PO they are well packed and the coins do not rattle around also on the package we declare insured contents as Numismatics!!!

I Had one package go through Witpos in the last month and it was opened with the gemstone and certificate stolen.

The worst of it all is that the Post Office Told me, on making an enquiry, that it is now prohibited to send Precious Stones and Metals with the Post Office??? -- Guess what: NO Insurance will be Paid out!!!

MiemsJewels

I had this problem yesterday! I send out an insured mail parcel with 3 items in the parcel. Only 2 items were received by buyer.They still tear the bags open. Remove an item, and close the parcel with Post Office tape again!

The buyer accept and signed for the parcel, without knowing 1 of the items already was stolen out of the parcel!

Now, who must take the blame? I had to replace the missing bracelet at my own cost!

Wel ek hoop julle verstaan my engels. Gebruik dit mos net uit selfverdediging!:grin:

lilythepink

Perhaps all of us (sellers) need to include a clear statement when sending tracking numbers to buyers -

"Please examine your parcel at the PO counter and if it appears to have been opened or interfered with, immediately lodge a claim with the Post Office" ??

alloway65

I have had a few claims for stolen coins settled recently and coins are not supposed to be insurable!

When sending out coins and stamps we mark the package as Philatelics or Numismatics...to confuse the would be thieves!

But we mainly use a courier these days and we bear any extra costs. For expensive items insurance is much cheaper as the courier only charges 1% for insurance.

Further I was told by the PO to seal each end of the package with heavy brown duck tape.

Cali Craft and Gems

I had a buyer complain last week about her parcel / envelope being empty. She could see that it had been opened, but could not tell me if it was like this at the post office, or when she got back to her office after lectures. She accepted responsibility for insisting on a non-insured parcel.

alloway65

If my parcels are A4 or less I usually take a scan of them and file with the order and PO/Courier paperwork!

Thierry Henry

Never had a problem with Witspos. The issues, in my experience, have almost always been with thieving post office workers. Packages shipped without any form of tracking are their main target.

So the mail leaves customs and gets sorted just fine. It's usually at the PO where the "problems" arise.

MiemsJewels

The big problem was at Witspos. I think the culprits were caught in the meantime.

Bargain Coins

I have to see the postmaster today regarding shipping coins by SAPO. Got message to say its illegal and if i do send they wont pay out claims if the parcel get "lost". you have to give them the invoice to proof the contents of the sent parcel and if there is coins, no pay out!! Surely this must be wrong as you pay for insurance and them to do a job of delivering your parcel to the buyer. it cant be our problem if they employ thieves.

alloway65
I have to see the postmaster today regarding shipping coins by SAPO. Got message to say its illegal and if i do send they wont pay out claims if the parcel get "lost". you have to give them the invoice to proof the contents of the sent parcel and if there is coins, no pay out!! Surely this must be wrong as you pay for insurance and them to do a job of delivering your parcel to the buyer. it cant be our problem if they employ thieves.

That is supposed to be the official SAPO regulation. However I have had two claims paid by SAPO for lost coins, one package I sent and one package I was receiving!

When we post coins we state on the form "Numismatics" so the thieves wont understand (hopefully) they are coins! However I try and use a courier these for delivering valuable coin packages.

Certain BoB coin sellers do not offer insurance on coins based on this official SAPO regulation!

jcriller

I had a MS 64 1960 2.5 Shilling from the Kleynhans collection go missing, parcel arrived at post office and was clearly opened and resealed.I opened parcel in post office but NOTHING, lady behind counter immediately helped.

blueray

Hi,

I'm so worried now, two buyers called me today speed services parcel was opened and goods are missing from the parcels,

I sent few parcels last week, and today, i hope everything gonna be okay.

Luckily both parcels was insured, anyone have idea, how long post office gonna take for insurance claim?

Do i have to claim or buyer have to claim?

Please if anyone can suggest me any other fast and cheap courier services.

Regards

Blueray

WATCHES 24 SEVEN

BE AWARE FOR SPEED SERVICE COURIERS.

I have sent a expensive watch 2 months ago to his new owner, and the contents went missing in transit. I have placed a Claim with Speed Service Couriers, and this is the answer below i have received Today from them.

So all Sellers please don`t enriched this Company, they just like money, but when it comes to a Claim, they don`t stand behind you.

Regards

Sakkie

WATCHES 24 SEVEN

Below the answer i received back after 2 months.

Re: Speed Services Couriers Claim

I refer to your claim received by us regarding the mentioned item, and I would like to apologise for the inconvenience caused by this incident.

We regret to inform you that according to our Clause 4 of our Conditions of Contract that Speed Services Couriers does not accept any liability for loss, pilferage and damage to items such as glass, valuable items such as billion, coins, bank notes, jewellery, antiques, securities, valuable documents or articles we conveyed.

Therefore we must respectfully deny any claim made in reference to this consignment.

Our file is now closed.

If you have any further concerns, please contact the claims department.

Yours sincerely

MiemsJewels

Nou wat nou nog? Strikes, theft, murder, petrol prices gone up, liquer and sigaret prices too. Then we have to eat donkey, horse an water buffalo meat......ag nee man! What's next?