Sign in to follow this  
Hans100

Postal theft... Please detail your experience here!

Cali Craft and Gems

My parcel was sent out of the US on 4 April via Fedex, arrived in SA by the 9th and the Reserve Bank has put a hold on the parcel!

After much traversing backwards and forward, I eventually got a specific requested letter out of ABSA (a 24 hour wait ended up being 6 days!), now to wait another 5 working days for the Reserve Bank to release the parcel to Customs.

All this for an "urgent" parcel! I was hoping to have sold off the contents before my trip to suppliers at the end of April, but at this rate the parcel will only arrive when I'm away.

My first parcel from the US supplier took 10 days from dispatch to delivery, including clearance.

All this after the latest estimated delivery date was the 14th of April! Now it's the 19th with no parcel in sight...

Frustrating! I have buyers waiting for the items... this plus the frustration of having to work in between power failures! (at least PE hasn't had power failures since Friday lunchtime due to a substation exploding!)

feltrex trading

Yes gem shop; I mailed off a parcel to America about 4 weeks ago (a fairly plain looking A4-sized padded parcel) with a large variety of items & goodies and to this date, there has been no confirmation of delivery! :?

I usually insist that my parcels are sent with an international tracking number, but for some inconceivable reason, the brain-dead bovine of a woman at the Post Office tore off my tracking number right in front of me, then told me it would be R46. Trust me to have been so gullible to allow my parcel to be sent without a tracking number at nearly the same price as with! (international pracels with tracking numbers take between 2 and 3 weeks to be delivered) :x

I've unshakingly decided that if the parcel should not be delivered by this coming week, or the week thereafter at latest (6 weeks after having been sent) I will be sending at the absolute least, 15 letters of complaint to the district manager of the Post Office. :!:

bratzbabe

The post office will probably just tell you that once it has left South Africa there is nothing that they can do about it as it is out of there hands.

As this is what i was told when i was in the UK and mailed an item to South Africa. :roll:

feltrex trading

The primary focus of my complaint will be the part where the teller tore off the valid tracking number which I had added before-hand and didn't replace it. Thereafter, their lack of facilities to trace international parcels online. :roll:

bratzbabe

I know and to add a tracking number is quite pricey i mean when i send a normal letter it is around R4.50 and if i add a tracking number it goes to R18.00 and some change. :roll:

jewelzcorp

SAPO needs to jack their security up!!

I had 4 parcels in total stolen - I mean " got lost in the system " and the worst part of it is that they were all posted on the same day! And wierdly enough it was the first time that I had put the description "Jewelry" on the package for insurance purposes, and surprise surprise. Those are the ones that got feet. Luckily I have it mandatory that I include insurance costs, so my claims have been accepted, but I am still waiting 5 months later.

The imported parcels have been ok so far, the only incidence that I had was at the customs they had printed a wrong postal box number on the release docs, but still had the same town and postal code. Thank Goodness the post office ladies know me pretty well and knew it was meant for me, but unfortunately had been sitting in someones post box for more than 3 weeks before they went through the package papers for return.

All's well that ends well. :roll:

PixiesBodyStudio

hi there i am so stressed regarding stolen parcels were the parcel just goes missing and the post office is to "stupid "to do anything about it i mean i send a cleint a parcel on the 28 march 2009 to namibia and he still has not gotten it i have called the international side off p/office as i was revered there by the post office and called everyday to see if there is any news and u can gues yest thats right sorry dont know what happend to it i mean how do u not know what has happ to a parcel ????? with a tracking number, now what do i say to the client ????

I need some advice as to what to do ?? please what do i tell the client and what can we do about this problem with the postal services????

Cali Craft and Gems

Hi

Firstly, did you send the parcel via airmail or surface mail?

The difference is about 4 to 6 weeks in delivery time, which could explain the reason why your parcel is not at it's destination.

Hope you come right!

Cali Craft

miraclebabycaw

problem is with international even "registered" once it "leaves" the country there is no tracing it. We've had it happen both ways. Item from the US - according to US tracking it left the US on x date, according to SA it never entered the country. Same has happened in the opposite direction. Disappears in no-man's land - must have been mr nobody again

LokiMART

I've been very lucky with the SAPO (touch wood). Never had a parcel go missing. I recently had a problem with a bad batch of tape that was losing all sticky properties within 12 hours and basically allowing my boxes to pop open. I'd sent over 30 parcels before I noticed the problem but all of them reached their destinations with their contents. It's amazing, and only possible if the SAPO were retaping them in JHB before sending them on :eek:

Credit where credit is due, the SAPO has always done right by me :cool:

EishGK

Posting of Tracking Number on Ratings

Hi Guys

I have recieved many ratings on which my tracking was included after making a purchase. I also collect mail for a friend who recently had a positive rating with his tracking number included. Thanks to the good relationship with the post office staff, I could of lost a very expensive coin. The staff informed me that a lady had come into the post office this morning with the tracking number and a forged affadavit to collect one of my parcels. Thanks to the quik instints of the lady at the post office who recognised my name and suspected something was wrong with the affadavit, she asked the lady who came to collect to stand aside while she contacts me. The lady who came to collect imediately turned around and hurried out of the post office. The only way I could think the lady could of got the tracking number was from the rating on BoB. I think that we should not make available such information for all to have access to. I think the one parcel that I lost at the post office could of also been like this. We need to be more carefull.

Cheers

Hassim

catch my sale items here

Asha Craft

wow that is scary. our world is so criminal, and its a shame. i try my best to email or sms all tracking nrs, but if a client has a yahoo email address and no cell nr... (yahoo returns my emails) then my only option is to place the tracking nr in their rating. luckily that is only about 1 in 30 customers.

ernest7119

Hi, I am in Hong Kong, and have been selling in BOB for more than 1 years. I found many of my parcels have disappeared suddenly. Specially recently, the complaint of tracking no. no found has increase. Some I have re-posted to buyer, but it seems too many, I cannot re-post them all, I feel so disappointed in SA Postage system.

I am a seller, usually, I posted all items to buyer immediately after confirmed their payment, then sent them tracking no. too. I posted all parcel with registered mail through Hong Kong Post Office, in SA, the postage is specially expensive, because I must use the registered mail, it needs HK$13 more for each parcel, all these no. can be traced through the Hong Kong Post Office website, it specified when and where the parcel has out warded to destination.

But this seems no use, many buyers told me that the tracking no. not found, and I checked the HK site, it has specified when and where the parcel has gone. Even I have proof, but many buyers still rated me negative too. Now I am puzzling whether go on selling in SA or not, daily I have spent most of time to explain or argue with buyers about the lost parcels. South Africa is an international city, I hope the postage system can be improved, so I have no need to worry every parcel I JUST posted to SA.

Newly added on 30/06/2009

On June, 2009, I have sold nearly 300 items, but received 13 negative and 12 neutral feedbacks, nearly all related with goods not received. There are still some not yet rated me too. All items actually I have already posted and sent the buyers with tracking no. too. All these tracking no. can be enquiry in Hong Kong Post Office website, it has specified when and where they have left Hong Kong to SA. I think this is a good proof that I have done my seller's duty. Actually I believed the buyers too, many are repeated buyers. Many gave me the same reply, the tracking no. are not found in SA, this was the reply from their SA postal clerk.

Recently I have contacted Hong Kong Post Office, I will give them a list of all no goods received, they promised to help and will send a request to SA post office to help to find the loss tracking no, it seems loss so quick, from one door just left and loss in another door.

I hope to get the result and can explain to my buyers ASAP.

I have running several online shops in many countries, it seems only tracking no. is a must in SA, many countries no need the tracking no, because the loss rate is so less even to zero, but in SA, the loss rate is terrible great. I hope the authority can take care of this.

nixies

Let Close The Local Po Down!!

:mad:

I believe this thieving is now close to, if not already a crisis! We will only know the depth of the problem if there is a central location where everybody can record their experience!

Please add your experience that includes as much detail i.r.o PO locality, value etc. I have through the entire year, gone down the very frustrating and time consuming route of complaining verbally and corresponding to countless Managers, Team leaders, Section chiefs, Inspectorate investigators, their managers etc., etc., and ABSOLUTELY NOTHING has come from this!

Too many lonely voices are no remedy- We MUST get the numbers together - it is imperative!- A growing number of UK senders now refuse to send to ZA!

I have had 12 international items sent to me between the 15th OCT and 6 Nov. Up to date only 4 have arrived intact - 6 have gone walkabout, now trace! - and 2 arrived opened! I'm livid and I sick and tired of getting the "shrug shoulder" response!

Yesterday a local buyer related that he has had a local shipment compromised and now this morning one of my buyers reported his package was tampered with. Coins packed in a specifically designed corrugated coin mailer I received from Aspen Coins in the USA. This was removed - only the re-taped envelope arrived. (Parkview PO).

This is only my second local mail theft but I fear that the intensity will increase with so many more value items in the system over the next month.

The new CEO of the PO mentioned in her Parliament speech on Monday stated that she is aware of ongoing "behavioral problems" but failed to say that been the crisis it is, that this problem area will be focused on and cleaned up with immediate effect. In fact, her attitude could well be interpreted as "we are aware but will simply monitor the problem and record it!- no problem my crooked employees -keep it up - its your annual bonus time"

This is absolutely unacceptable - I don't have the answers but at least by starting a log of theft experiences everybody can realise just how bad this problem is and from there the numbers will create a starting point of people power and subsequent action!

If you have had a problem - local and international or if you know of someone that has had a problem please encourage them to include their experience here! Simply email the link and ask to include detail such as PO sent and PO received as well as value of loss - even better if coin specifics are included!

I encourage co-operation as this will only benefit us all as my view is that this crisis is far worse than most believe and this option will at least bring the reality to the fore allowing our combined acknowledgment to stimulate the route to take.

We have to get the system overhauled!

This is a starting point and I will check up and interact with all through this thread on a daily basis

Thank you

Hans Navratil - aka Hans100

[Edited]

I am furious! They just take and take!! I never had the problem local, but its starting. Lets just avoid the PO services until they have to close down and the thiefs looses their jobs!! Halleluja!! Use courier services. I dont even order on ebay anymore as I am afraid that Paypal will put a stop to my account. 8 Out of 10 parcels gone missing. At least I can order wholesale as I am a registered importer, but not all us can. Please help!!

chrisc
we tell our customers to inspect the parcel in the po and if it looks like its been tampered with to open it in front of the po person to ensure everything is there and if not then not to accept parcel.

We also insure each and every parcel for a min of R100.00 at no cost to the buyer.

If a parcel is taken home and it is discovered that the goods are not there then we cannot be held liable.

Janet I have received 100's of parcels from overseas and NOT one has been tampered with...I even had guys writing on the envelope "opals' and it still got here in time and in perfect order.

I tried this (refusal to accept) at the (Wynberg, Cape Town) Post Office on 2/2/2009 when the clerk brought the parcel to me in several pieces, an obviously damaged and empty carton, but she refused to let me complain. Eventually (after waiting 20 mins at the counter) the Postmaster arrived and said that since I had already signed the collection slip, I should take the item and leave the Post Office or she would call the Police. I told her to go ahead and call the Police and she walked off. After waiting 2 hours, it was then 4.30 and they wanted to close for the day. so I left with the bits of cardboard. I then wrote a complaint to the Post Office. I received an acknowledgement about 6 weeks later but nothing since. The Postmaster's attitude was that since she had not done the mis-deed, it was not her responsibilty and shouted at me in front of the customers and staff that I was wasting her and her staff's time. She suggested that I was trying to accuse her of tampering with mail.

I subsequently found out that this was not the actual Postmaster, he or she was off work and this lady was just a clerk who seemed to be having a bad day.

lilythepink

Gosh, folks, this is absolutely astounding. My husband gets parcels from Canada which clearly list the contents and, touch wood (my head?), to date nothing has been stolen or opened. Our biggest problem is that we get charged heavy customs duty on some parcels and not on others - and they all relate to model aircraft "bits and pieces". I think another thread about Customs Duty could be in the offing ... Good luck with your postal issues. I've had no problems at all this year, apart from 1 parcel of belly button fluff brushes which didn't get to the buyer but I haven't had the time to follow up on it - just sent the buyer another lot. :(

JPBon

I tend to track all my parcels constantly that is when the PO tracking service actually works, I tend to rush to the PO the minute I reckon it is there. I often get the answer that the parcel hasnt arrived yet even when tracking says it has only to reach home and get the notification that it has. Someone needs to insert some dynamite up some of the PO staff

EishGK

Hi Guys and Gals

I have honestly been lucky thus far in that I have not lost a parcel I sent yet. TOUCH WOOD! But I could have lost parcels that I have recieved. I have on a few occasions had tracking numbers sent to me via the biborbuy rating from sellers. This is dangerous as when you live were I live and there is only one main post office, people reading your ratings can pick up that a parcell is on its way to you and they could intercept it. Thats exactly what I believe happened to me. I was contacted by the postmaster of my post office on one occasion when a 'stranger' showed up with the tracking number for a parcel belonging to me and tried to colect the parcel. They even had a falsified affadavit with my forged signature to collect the parcel. Had the post office not known me, I could of lost a R1000 coin. I think bobbers must be very weary of posting buyers tracking numbers on the rating table. I have posted this before but I think it's worth a mention again as when reading the ratings of Bobbers, I still note that tracking numbers are published often on the ratings.

Thanks

Hassim

cheetah11

One of my sellers send my parcel via Postnet.....2 days and it arrived.

Maybe your guys must try and make more use of Postnet instead of the Post office!

It is much more reliable and quick!!

I am prepared to pay more shipping costs but at least you get your parcel!

Delicious

@ Cheetah..

Postnet charge double what SAPO charges, and they drop off the parcels at SAPO.. Exception is when Postnet Courier is used..

Genesis7

Ipod stolen

I had an Ipod Touch 64mg stolen last week on an order shipped from the US. The culprits were courtious enough to send me the empty box back. I was gutted. Filed a missing item document with the post office just to make them aware of it but there is no recourse. Absolutely disgusting!!

DA_LION_619

First Time Hope Its The Last Time

i recently bought some gems(TANZANITE) from Gem Search

when i went to pick it up the jiffy bag was opened and stapled back which i never notice till i opened the parcel to find only 1 of my 2 orders and only 1 gem i supposed to get 7:(

atleast they left me with one:rolleyes:

they were planned to be gifts for my friends and i suggested to the seller to either insure my next items i purchase(i paid R50 for postage it should of been insured) or put security tape around the parcel not normal sellotape as this can easily be used to repackage items that are opened

so i suggest we all use security tape thats what i do for all my parcels from software to cellphones as i once told by the PO staff the PO is liable for any package that is opened which is secularly sealed(was told this when i wanted to insure an item)

so all in all i hope my next parcel comes intact hope this helps

Little Miss Muffet

I always say'Dont label parcels gemstones.jewellery, coins etc.

I had a piece of jewellery and some badges stolen from a parcels I sent to buyers. They were both in small boxes and popped into a bubble envelope

I now pack them in a box, cut out 2 pieces of cardboard the size of a book and label them book.

I have a thing about putting a value of say R500,R2000 or whatever amount on a parcel because the likelyhood of it being stolen is high.

All my parcels go as R100.

It does mean the post office insurance will only pay that amount out but it is less risky.

After posting over 2000 parcels these two thefts are the only bad experiances I have had.

lilythepink

I label every parcel I send as "personal effects" and haven't had one parcel stolen or opened. Touch wood!! Spit in my hat, turn around 3 times and bury a feather in the garden, etc. etc.!

asianetix

I am selling items from Taiwan. I sold an item beginning February 2010 (CPU for PC) to a buyer in SA. Item was imported via SAPO, insured. Two weeks later I enquired. No delivery. No track of item. Buyer followed up. No result. So I followed the procedure set out by Taiwan Post Office to file for an investigation. I was advised that it would take in total 25 to 30 days. Today is May 26th and Taiwan Post Office has still not received any feedback from SAPO. TW Post Office has even sent a 2nd investigation. No result from SAPO. I have emailed roughly 30 letters to JNB INTL OFFICE (SAPO) (specific persons) and made 15 calls. No result. Not even a confirmation that mail is received or dealt with. I am embarressed and I cannot apologize enough to the buyer. Good thing about this situation is that TW Post Office has offered to pay out insurance irrespective of whether SAPO replies, which is of course not standard procedure. What happened to integrity, honesty and service? I'll put in a call or 2 tomorrow again... Juane Reichert, Taipei / Taiwan