Sign in to follow this  
Hans100

Postal theft... Please detail your experience here!

asianetix

Unbelievable!

Simply unbelievable!

I tried this (refusal to accept) at the (Wynberg, Cape Town) Post Office on 2/2/2009 when the clerk brought the parcel to me in several pieces, an obviously damaged and empty carton, but she refused to let me complain. Eventually (after waiting 20 mins at the counter) the Postmaster arrived and said that since I had already signed the collection slip, I should take the item and leave the Post Office or she would call the Police. I told her to go ahead and call the Police and she walked off. After waiting 2 hours, it was then 4.30 and they wanted to close for the day. so I left with the bits of cardboard. I then wrote a complaint to the Post Office. I received an acknowledgement about 6 weeks later but nothing since. The Postmaster's attitude was that since she had not done the mis-deed, it was not her responsibilty and shouted at me in front of the customers and staff that I was wasting her and her staff's time. She suggested that I was trying to accuse her of tampering with mail.

I subsequently found out that this was not the actual Postmaster, he or she was off work and this lady was just a clerk who seemed to be having a bad day.

Guest Guest

just a tip . Never label anything with a electronic name such as Amps or mixers or mics or they will get stolen

lilythepink
Simply unbelievable!

This is an experience which would make me want to take a pair of handcuffs (without a key) into the PO and chain myself to one of their fixtures until they DO take notice of my claim!

Fortunately my local PO has such a decent bunch working in it - if I did something like that they'd bring me a chair to sit on, tea every so often and, no doubt, supper and a blanket for the night. LOL

yeittech

All Smiles!!

This is an experience which would make me want to take a pair of handcuffs (without a key) into the PO and chain myself to one of their fixtures until they DO take notice of my claim!

Fortunately my local PO has such a decent bunch working in it - if I did something like that they'd bring me a chair to sit on, tea every so often and, no doubt, supper and a blanket for the night. LOL

LOL. I agree with that! Stick it to them!

I am from American descent, and I have lots of family and friends in the US. I've received over 200 parcels from the US, UK, CAN, ***, HK and (touch wood!!) I have not lost one, or had anything stolen from any one of those shipments.

I am very well known at my local PO, and they know when I walk in, to run in the back and fetch whatever it may be..

I am currently importing an iPhone 4 from Canada via Canada Parcel Post, and according to Canada Post - Mailing, Shipping, Marketing, Shopping, Sharing, the item has already left Canada.

I also notice the discrepency between Canada/US saying that the item has left, and SAPO saying that they've received it at OR Tambo.

I plan on importing more, as they are network unlocked, blah blah blah..

All smiles this side, TOUCH WOOD!:D:D:D

View my items : http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/405105/yeittech

ClickandShip

I prepared a parcel for Speed Servises shipping with Insurance and left it at the shop on friday with instructions that one of the ladies send it off.

I get there this morning and lo and behold this parcel still standing on the counter...

After going absolutely ape on them, they tell me that SAPO won't accept it as I have insured it but written ''GOODS'' under the description of items...

They require me to specify the contents..

HA HA HA HA!!

Needless to say, I marched my self to the Post Office and specified a couple of things and the parcel was accepted no problem..:D

seba3087

Parcel tampered with at SAPO

I had a CD player delivered to a customer and he did not request insurance on the order, when the CD player was dispatched it weighed 1.5KG and when my customer received it it had some womans tights in the box, so I told him to return it as it is and the return weight was 300grams, I tried to claim on his behalf but failed, now I have an upset customer and my first negative rating, what can I do?:sad2::sad2::sad2:

kebs

I think the recipient needs to open the parcel in front of the post office teller for them to be able to lodge a claim? Perhaps other sellers can verify this? If they did not request insurance & you have it offered as a postage option, then it's really their own fault for not spending the extra few rands... You can offer a refund, then file an SNC, choosing the option of refund given, then eventually the negative will be removed once the SNC is finalised - depends on how badly you want the negative gone! Personally, I wouldn't though - I have insured postage as an option, & if buyers don't choose it, I can't be responsible for every single item I send.. I do state that very clearly in my listings though..

BumbleBabe
I had a CD player delivered to a customer and he did not request insurance on the order, when the CD player was dispatched it weighed 1.5KG and when my customer received it it had some womans tights in the box, so I told him to return it as it is and the return weight was 300grams, I tried to claim on his behalf but failed, now I have an upset customer and my first negative rating, what can I do?:sad2::sad2::sad2:

Hi seba3087, yes good to try and help but you are way to trusting. If the buyer was collecting a cd player and got a parcel weighting only 300gr way did he or she not notice a problem right there and then. 300gr is an empty box not a cd player. The buyer does not want to take responsibility or he/she could be trying to scam you. If they do not check the parcel when it arrives how can you know they did not receive the item?

If it was me I would talk to the buyer and explain that you can not be held responsible and maybe write to bob for help.

Good luck, hope you get it sorted.

lilythepink

Well I've been waiting for a parcel from Pretoria (not a BoB transaction!) and the Post Office merely sent it back to the sender and left a "first notification" in her postbox. Can you ever believe such stupidity? It's hopefully been sorted now but the seller had to sort it out with her PO. Never a dull moment with Post Office experiences, is there? How about getting to the PO at 1 pm and finding there are only two cashiers on duty when there are seven places for them to be? Frustrating to put it mildly, when the queue is out of the door.

nixies

Hi, please dont think it's just the sorters stealing, it also happens at customs at the airport!! And please, they are in an authorized position and can request anything they want. That is now the SARS people! I had 11 out of 13 parcels going missing last year this time around. And believe me, it was either customs or the sorters at the PO. Pathetic! I now have an issue with customs, and I will not just let it go. I will go to the news papers and just give them all their hell! The attitudes! I will not stand for a supplier that under declares and I am held responsible and loose my money/shipment! Or worse, pay the penalty! I mean, we are not all tought to think like a "papegaai" and not see the wider picture. I am so, so fed-up with this whole situation. People trying to make a honest living/salary on bidorbuy, and they treat us like we are thiefs! As if we are smuggling gold/diamonds/drugs! But they surely take the VAT and TAX they get. That is acceptable! Sorry, I am missing the whole local shipping issue here, but this just contributes to it. I agree, we need to do something drastically!

Kit W
Hi, please dont think it's just the sorters stealing, it also happens at customs at the airport!! And please, they are in an authorized position and can request anything they want. That is now the SARS people! I had 11 out of 13 parcels going missing last year this time around. And believe me, it was either customs or the sorters at the PO. Pathetic! I now have an issue with customs, and I will not just let it go. I will go to the news papers and just give them all their hell! The attitudes! I will not stand for a supplier that under declares and I am held responsible and loose my money/shipment! Or worse, pay the penalty! I mean, we are not all tought to think like a "papegaai" and not see the wider picture. I am so, so fed-up with this whole situation. People trying to make a honest living/salary on bidorbuy, and they treat us like we are thiefs! As if we are smuggling gold/diamonds/drugs! But they surely take the VAT and TAX they get. That is acceptable! Sorry, I am missing the whole local shipping issue here, but this just contributes to it. I agree, we need to do something drastically!

Hi lilythepink & nixies

I had a similar incident last month when a registered parcel that I sent to a buyer was tampered with whilst "in transit". The contents were removed and re-sealed with thick brown masking tape. I SUBMITTED a written complaint stating all the details and some two weeks later received a call from SAPO wanting to know if I had received my item or not!! I told them to read the details of the complaint properly and explained the whole scenario once again. That investigation died a sudden death and I was forced to send a replacement item AT MY OWN EXPENSE.

No matter how we moan & groan, this pilfering will never stop as there is no way of SAPO monitoring the many thousand of items that get handled on a daily basis - WHO CARES A CR*P ANYHOW?

Regards

kit

circe

hi

i have also a lot of problems with the post office that is why i ask the seller if i can pick up the item up if i am nearby. if not i use ram couriers to pick the item up for me. i had so far no problems with ram couriers as i work with diamonds. if i deliver a diamond i use the couriers or i deliver it my self for security sake because the diamonds run to the value of R100,000 or more.

i am waiting for a book i ordered via kalahari.net on september 19, the book has not arrived yet from usa.

thanks

circe

lilythepink

Hi circe and welcome to the forum. It's good that we have an outlet for our experiences and often tremendous help when one has a problem.

I've only had good service from kalahari.net - one item had to come from the USA, they told me it would take four weeks and it arrived exactly 4 weeks later. Other local purchases have been delivered efficiently. That's my experience with kalahari.net.

kyle2

Sometimes its just general incompetance on the part of the Post office, this parcel was recieved by my branch at 1:05pm and a notice was sent and at 2:55pm it was sent back to the sender. Crazy!

3In transit 2010/12/14 11:35:48 GER In Transit TON (HUB)

4Other 2010/12/13 14:55:00 PRIMROSE RTS

5At Office 2010/12/13 13:05:00 PRIMROSE First Notification to recipient

6In transit 2010/12/10 11:18:10 NA

7Item accepted by branch 2010/12/07 16:05:12 GEORGE EAST

Edited by kyle2

d_ronne

Hi, just on the positve side. I have sent over 1000 registered letters / insured parcels through out the RSA with the SAPO during the past three years and to date every item has arrived at its destination ( touch wood). I wonder if there are other sellers out there who have also not encountered any problems. Just wondering. Regards Dan

bitesize

I've lost on my packages from various places around the world. Oddly enough it's the local packages that show attempts to remove the contents. My one customer is currently having issues with her post office where her parcel was sent. The item has clearly been tracked to the post office but the employees there were rude and kept on denying it had arrived. I contacted the post office customer care and they said she wasn't to leave the post office without the customer care being contacted. I'm now waiting to hear if she got her parcel. It makes a person so angry when the post office does things like this. I never wait for my slips because they either arrive 2 weeks after the parcel did, or they go missing. It's why I tell my customers to keep track of their parcels, most don't know that when it has been tracked to their post office they don't have to wait for a slip. They can just take their ID (just in case) and the details on the parcel with the tracking number and hand it to the post office employee. Even customer care told me that.

ziggy2000
Hi, just on the positve side. I have sent over 1000 registered letters / insured parcels through out the RSA with the SAPO during the past three years and to date every item has arrived at its destination ( touch wood). I wonder if there are other sellers out there who have also not encountered any problems. Just wondering. Regards Dan

Hi Dan, same here, Touch wood!

republikein

I have sent and received a few hundred registered and Speed Services parcels without any lost. However, I have lost a few birthday cards for the kids - the personnel think there is money inside and then the card never arrives. Also, envelopes which are tight and thick gets slightly torn at the bottom through the contents to see if there are notes inside. I have lost valuable stamps and first day covers in this way. I suspect the culprit to be at my local post office, but cannot be sure...

ATA STAMP CENTRE

HI

I have sent a few thousand parcels by registered mail and speed service with not a single loss or incident past three years.However the normal mail i have sent probably 50 items with 4 not arriving.Also some buyers report that the envelopes (normal mail) seem to be opened.As i use padded envelopes for protection even for the normal mail these seem to be targeted as they think there may be valuables in them.

Otherwise a thumbs up for gpo from me.

NEIL

AManAPlan

Opinion

I sold an item in Feb and the item was returned to Witspos hub. They are unable to say where the item is and I can therefore conclude that it is part of the "affirmative shopping" stats.

The auction gave no guarantees nor did I offer any insurance. My take on this is that the moment I post the item, it is the property of the buyer and as such the buyer needs to file the complaints etc. That also includes carrying the risk. That means no refunds.

Am I wrong in taking this stand?

Linka

I must congratulate our post office here in Moorreesburg!! Also sent and received a lot of parcels and even while the strikes were on only had joy from the employees here. :smile1:

AndreComputer

Postage Rippoff by Seller

I had the misfortune this time to deal with seller Neux.In the past I were allways satisfied and believed I got value for money and was happy with pricing postage etc. I allways believed the whole experience is rated on the overall experience when you are doing a transaction..This time not. I won a bid on a mattress and very willingly paid for this seeing that it looked like a bargain .The postage seemed a bit steep but I though it must be a bulky object so it could be volumetric mass that pushed up the cost.

Today I have received it and I saw it was rolled up but nevertheless we unrolled it and placed it on the bed in the spare room.It is nice ( the mattress) .After we cleaned up my eye caught the shipping label and I noticed the postage price. R74.o5. Weight 11.0 kg . I believe the seller stays in Fordsburg or thereabouts.The matress is actually vacuum wrapped and rolled so the volumetric story was not in effect . Any case the packing is factory packaging ,so there was no extra costs involved. Petrol & time maybe R200.00 ..I still fail to see R700.00 for shipping .

This guy has been operating for too long and people generally do not have a bad experience with him but this was a TOTAL RIPOFF.My Neg rating stands until MR Neux pay me back at least R400.00.If he sold 50 mattresses as on the auction he made R35,000.00 on shipping and R50,000.00 on mattress sales .

Not Satisfied !!!!

However this time :

[TABLE]

[TR=bgcolor: #fefae9]

[TD]Visco-Elastic Memory Foam Mattress

Auction : 46081977

1230485-136737696-s.gif[/TD]

[TD=class: align-center]21 Sep 2011[/TD]

[TD=class: align-center]1[/TD]

[TD=class: align-center]R

[/TD]

[TD]Neux (43449 rating11.gif) verifieduser.gif

Johannesburg

Day Please e-mail

Evening Please e-mail[/TD]

[TD]Total :

Order : 4145123

Paid - details

1 message from the seller

[/TD]

[TD=class: align-center]1x1_trans.gif

Edit Rating[/TD]

[TD=class: align-center]1x1_trans.gif

Reply[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Edited by qball
Removed sellers email address and real name.

alloway65

The Jhb Hub appears to be the main problem area:

Buying...lost three packages (coins) over the last few months.

Selling...lost one package (coin) over the last month.

One Diners Card account opened but not stolen!

Just had a theft claim paid out by the PO thanks to abbystreasures took a while but all is well that ends well....thanks Chris!!!!

Edited by alloway65

eZethu Coins

Witspos strikes again - since 2007 (and more than a 1000 parcels) I have lost 1 parcel (until a month ago) - now the tally in the last month is 4 - has anybody else experienced an increase in the number of lost/stolen parcels going through Witspos?

alloway65

I have lost three "coin" packages being sent to me over the last few months, two in one day, one has been paid out in full by the PO and the other under the PO's claim process.

One package being sent by me was lost at Witspost, the claim has been confirmed and under the claim process.

One package being sent to me was lost but not insured.

So re the debate over preceding years that coins can not be insured by the PO is not the case as far as I am concerned.

When using self sealing envelopes to post coins etc make sure both ends of the packages is sealed with duct tape then if the package or its contents are lost a claim will be considered. This I was told by a Manager at the PO!

When posting coins etc I scan each package and keep the scan on file with my BoB Orders, this helps in any claim process.

With bulk sellers this could become tiresome I suppose....but for this minion not a problem!

The above being said I tend to use a courier service most of the time now!!