Sign in to follow this  
Hans100

Postal theft... Please detail your experience here!

Gem Shop

we tell our customers to inspect the parcel in the po and if it looks like its been tampered with to open it in front of the po person to ensure everything is there and if not then not to accept parcel.

We also insure each and every parcel for a min of R100.00 at no cost to the buyer.

If a parcel is taken home and it is discovered that the goods are not there then we cannot be held liable.

Janet I have received 100's of parcels from overseas and NOT one has been tampered with...I even had guys writing on the envelope "opals' and it still got here in time and in perfect order.

Lukeness

I've had mostly great luck with overseas parcels but the last one was terrible.

It took 5 months to get to me!

Turned out it had been sitting in Jhb the whole time.

They claimed the invoice was lost so they couldn't send it.

Then they found they invoice on the top, clearly visible, in triplicate.

When it finally got to my post office they tried to charge me twice the value of the parcel in taxes. Back again for reassessment...

When it came back with the correct customs tax the box was severely beaten up up 70% of the contents were missing.

Of course they had affixed the PO tape on it to say they'd received it like that and had sealed it. Forgetting that I'd seen (although been unable to open) the box before when the wrong tax was charged.

It seems that parcels from the US get more scrutiny and "losses". Also when possible get stuff sent in envelopes. They seem to attract less attention. The bigger parcels are not only bigger risks but are also more obvious targets.

Gem Shop

to add to luke

I have had gems send to me from canada in a normal envelope and the postman dropped it in my driveway even though the postbox is there for everyone to see and the package was perfect.

I also agree that I personally think that the customs office in jhb is only beaten by the eishkom mangement. They have no idea whats they are doing and I also think that they suck the import taxes etc out of their thumbs...I know someone who brough in swarofski crystals and they would not release it because it looked to much like diamonds

nadd

lukeness,

You give me some hope with saying that you waited 5 months for a parcell. I am waiting for a parcell posted in Canada on 8 December 2007, and according to our PO, still not in SA.....

Hopefully it will arive some time (maybe this year???)

Don't we have anybody on the forum with contacts at customs where the parcells get delayed?

feltrex trading

I'd love to have someone dig through the area they "hold" parcels and have them send through the ones that have just been sitting there without any reason. It's infuriating to think know there are valid parcels being left to rot and eventually be "repossessed" by thieves. I don't want to wait till 2009 to receive my overseas orders. If this keeps up, I'll be marching into the regional manager's office with all the invoices (the few I have) and demand to know where my parcels are. :roll:

Lukeness

nadiabkr, do you have to overseas tracking number of the parcel?

If you do you can track it on the overseas system and get a date for when it left their country. That will at least give you some leverage.

I've also found that posting complaints on hellopeter.com helps...

nadd

lukeness,

Yes, I traced it : 8/12 - Accepted at Winnipeg, CA : 9/12 - Posted at postal facility (whatever that is) Winnipeg, CA :09/01/08 - International item has left CA.

Ous PO states that according to them it is not here yet. I propably will not buy again from Canada as the postage is rediculous and it takes forever to get here. Hopefully it will get here.

Unfortionately you do not get a lot of Mega Bloks here, so we try to get it on another site.

Will try hellopeter.

Regrds

Nadia

Coza1

Hi,

I get parcels worth close to R100 000 per month from the USA. Nothing gets lost and nothing gets damaged. I import digital SLR camera kits with lenses etc. It is all very sensitive equipment. Everything depends on how well it is packed, and how reliable the person is who is sending it. The service I use is available to all of you. I get charged $5-00 for the first item in the box and $3-00 for every further item. You save a ton on customs fees as you are normally charged R25-00 per parcel for customs clearance fee. In my case I pay R25-00 per box.

If you are interested you can PM me for more details.

Don't we have anybody on the forum with contacts at customs where the parcells get delayed?

You can call customs on 011-961 6000

Tayama

Hi Nadia

If you have the international tracking # phone 0860111502 and they will be able to tell you if it has arrived in SA and if so, provide you with a SA tracking # which can be tracked on SAPO's website.

Amanda

nadd

Amanda,

Thanks, but it is according to someone at that number that the parcell is not here yet. It just feels for me as if it is way to long for a parcell to get here from Canada. And then they charge you $62 for postage....

Coza1

You can also pay sellers who do not accept payment from buyers outside the USA through me, as I have a USA Paypal account. Paypal charges $0-30 plus 3.9% commission on the amount you send to my account. I do not make a profit on it.

bedazzled

OUCH

Hi all,

The P.O is pathetic, I have tried every possible way of shipping my things but some how the theives within the post office find a way to get their paws into my merchandise.

This actually irritates me as when you log the insurance claim they take 3 to 6 months to "investigate" the theft and they will only validate the claim if the parcel is opened inside the post office. I have recieved a negative rating from a client as her goodies were stolen. I offered to replace them for her free of charge is she would pay for the postage again. Her words were that she would not pay postage on another R1 item she won, let alone the value of the items won were FAR greater than the price she paid.

I have tried padded envelopes, official "registered mail" envelopes sold by the post office (which helped for a while), changing the font of the addresses, changing my name and address yet they seem to catch on after 3 or 4 despatches.

If anyone can find a solution (other than using speed services) then let me know as I am dying to get this sorted out.

emerald_sky

Hi bedazzled

What I have found to work is I refuse to put a return adress on my parcels if they ask why I say for safty reasons as I work from home, The second thing is with the padded envelopes I put 2 "Tamer Proof" seals on them and inform my buyers of this. Before I did that the parcels were constanlt stolen, now I have not had 1 claim.

Hope it can help.

Oh make it a seal only you can get hold of and not and postal worker.

Coza1

In nearly two years of sending parcels through the Post Office, some with a value as high as R20000 (Nikon D200 SLR package) I have not lost a single parcel, nor was one damaged. I never state what is inside the box.

cctvpro

Thieving

In 8 years of domestic and local shipping, NEVER had a problem!

make sure you select reputable carriers! I don't have a problem wiht speed services - after 8 years still going strong, and prefer them to any other service!

Once I had a package arrive which the customer claimed looked as though it had been driven over. i replaced the item, phoned some big shot at speed services - and that guy really took my complaint seriously, and was genuinely appreciative of the call.

I have sent huge value shipments with speed services, and strangely, many of my customers seem to use them as well, two days ago a customer had them handle a R136000 video recorder shipment, and today I spoke with the customer as they set up the DVRs on a mining site.

AUDIOMOTIV

I lost a few packages from overseas and the package can be traced till OR Tambo and thats that ....... and what beats me is no one can give you an explanation or reason

they need better control and systems in place and things should be safer and quicker :lol:

nadd

I am happy to report that almost exactly 4 months after my purchase, I received my parcell. It was not in time for Christmas, but never the less, it is in time for a birthday in May.

mlhsa
I am happy to report that almost exactly 4 months after my purchase, I received my parcell. It was not in time for Christmas, but never the less, it is in time for a birthday in May.

Nadd could you at least track were it was? 4 months is one hell of a lot of patients.

nadd

mlhsa,

Nope, If you read a previous post of mine, the last info recorded was that it left Canada on 08/01/08.....

I was already buse with the seller for a refund when the parcell pitched.

I am just so glad that it is here because it is Mega Bloks Fyren Sea Phoenix set for my son and it is not available in SA anymore, so we really wanted the item.

All well that ends well ( or something like that) :wink:

mlhsa

8) at least you final got it. It is the frustration that is my problem, or should I say I am not very patient. Have bought a few things from North America, time was not to bad just the taxes were the same price as the unit cost me :evil:

Gem Shop

has anyone also experienced a increase in postal theft and parcels that was tampered with in the last 3-4 weeks?

mlhsa

I have had no problems over this time period other than a few being a bit slow, otherwise all arrived perfectly.

bratzbabe

Well I pay for all my overseas imports through PayPal so I am able to claim for mine without insurance.

My parcels also come very damaged sometimes and when customs opens them they put a huge label or taped saying that the post office opened my parcel? :shock: CRAZY!

Guest roboticman

I use to order a lot from overseas and the main topic always came up, why does it take so long to get your parcels delivered. I mean, it takes +/- 2 days to get it out of the states and then it takes +/- 20 days to fly across the land and ocean, then I found the Real McCoy was South African Customs. My parcels laying at South African Customs for about 15 days before it gets sent to the post offices. Lekker ne.

bratzbabe

Hi roboticman

If you think about the amount of South African's importing items into the country you will understand that customs have to check through all of the parcels for illegal items and if the parcel looks suspicious they open it and (hopefully do not take anything out of the parcel) then they have to process each one onto the computer, where they enter the senders address and the receivers and the that is why you always have a tracking sticker saying 'incoming international parcel' because they have to make sure the parcel is still able to be tracked once it is in South Africa, bearing in mind they only do this process with the parcels that have to be charged customs. Which customs is part of SARS so they tend to try charge you for every small thing! :roll: