1. 1. Console Wars

• Nintendo Wii
    • XBox 360
    • Playstation 3
    • My Handheld console
    • My mobile phone

Steve87    10
Steve87

Not everyone has a gaming console at home, but may be you are looking to get yourself one. Its a great way to let off some steam and enjoy with friends.

Get some assistance on what sort of console you may look to purchase when you do decide to get one. Take a look at the console guide.

Take part in the poll and see which console rules!! ;)

If you own a gaming console and you really enjoy playing it let others know how you feel about your console or any other for that matter. you can vote too!

jacque31    10
jacque31

WOW Nintendo Wii getting votes - disappointing. But seriously i have never played on the Wii before but to me it's only something you can pick up ans start playing with your friends and it will be entertaining for a little while - for example if you have friends/family over for a braai and couple of drinks. But that's where it stops, it's not a hardcore gamers choice. Even the proper games on the Nintendo with decent graphics, story line ect can match up to the other consoles! Maybe in the future it get better (but am sure the other console will also be better). But for me right know i prefer Sony. Have all my life - owned PS1, PS2 and now PS3. From all the years i was only let down once by a hardware failure - laser failed on my PS3 end of last year but it served it's time as it lasted +4.5 years. Just look at the xBox - u buy more consoles than games. It's like a disposable camera lol. Have friends and all the same problem. Sure xBox live is a lot better than PSN but if your console is broken every 2 months what the use. And what you get for you money when buying a PS3 is just much more value for money. Don't get me wrong i play on the xBox with my friends but i will never buy one. Guess PS is what i'm used to.

SonyPlaystion all the way!

Steve87    10
Steve87

What's really disappointing is that there are no votes for the Xbox. Really, this was the best selling console in February! The Wii as we know it is a hot seller so the votes are to be expected. It is a great console, offering great fun for a group of friends and family. As jaque put it, it might not be for the hard-core gamer, but once you play it you'll find the fun factor worth the time. I have nothing but respect for Sony, but they only have a narrow lead here so lets see how it goes.

kebs    10
kebs

I think a lot of us are playing PS3 because we all had PS2's.. I have an xbox, which I never use.. I have a Wii, which I never use - far too much energy for this lazy person!! My PS3 is still my favourite by far!!!!

jacque31    10
jacque31

Nintendo might be fun, but definitely only for a while then you will get bored and the graphics suck big time.

As for xbox - unreliable to say the least.

Sony top them all:p

kebs    10
kebs

Yup, no comment on the reliability on the xbox.. Mine broke twice - hardly played, my godson's broke twice.. My PS3 still going after years & daily playing..

Steve87    10
Steve87

@ kebs. quite true, i think its quite rare to find someone who had/has a playstation 2 to completely switch to Xbox or Nintendo. You could just try it out, but you'll always lean towards Sony. The same can probably said for an Xbox owner. Not so sure about someone who owns a Nintendo though.

@ jaque. I agree. one can only hope when nintendo bring out the "next Wii" We can all experience better graphics.

jacque31    10
jacque31

@kebs - yip it breaks down so much. I read somewhere that more than 50% of xbox will get the RROD, cant remember precisely but i know it's a huge percentage, and what is even more funny it isn't talking about the consoles broken already, it's talking about future purchases. So going out and buying a xbox knowing that is something i will never do. Also xbox remind me too much about Microsoft so cant get past it, just don't like it. I have respect for it but will never own one - i can just imagine if i own one i will keep thinking i rather wish there was a PS3 standing in it's place. So will never feel comfortable with it. But like i said before they are well ahead in the online gaming than Sony, although some people say you have to pay and for PSN you don't have to - i would rather pay for something much better. And i think because of their online success xbox is doing good, because if it wasn't for that i'm sure a lot more people would have ditched their consoles for something else. Maybe a Wii:p. Also think the few exclusive title saved their skin a few times but need to add that some titles generate so much hype but isn't all that really.

Anyway enough talking about crapbox for now:rolleyes:

@ Steve87 - i think it will be a while before they can improve and i believe they can, but the problem is i think they will always be a step behind the other consoles (10 steps behind realistically). So i think they will always be playing catching up. The only thing they going for them now is the controller that is making it fun and different, but once Sony & xbox new controllers are properly out giving you the same experience it will be over for the Wii, because you will be getting the same with the other consoles and so much more.

Steve87    10
Steve87

Day Two, and we have a tie! Its a two horse race at the moment between the Wii and the playstation. There's not much in it for the Xbox.

BumbleBee    10
BumbleBee

I have a ps2 which is now gathering dust since the wii arrived. Does anyone want to make an offer? Sorry Sony but I just can't seem to justify the cost of a ps3. Besides, the wii gets us off our lazy butts and gets the circulation going. :D

jacque31    10
jacque31
I have a ps2 which is now gathering dust since the wii arrived. Does anyone want to make an offer? Sorry Sony but I just can't seem to justify the cost of a ps3. Besides, the wii gets us off our lazy butts and gets the circulation going. :D

Well BumbleBee - let me point out a few things:p

1 - Blu-Ray player - PS3 all ready equipped with one, go check the price of Blu-Ray players and you'll see that only that all ready justify the PS3's price.

2 - Graphics wise the Wii aint even in the same race as the PS3

3 - Much larger game selection.

4 - Sony also busy with the new motion controller.

5 - Reliability & quality.

Compared directly to the Wii you get so much more for your money. I would rather spend a little bit more to get a lot more!

So i would rather spend R1000 more and get the best.

DA_LION_619    10
DA_LION_619

Did anyone say 3-D

jacque31    10
jacque31
Did anyone say 3-D

:confused:

DA_LION_619    10
DA_LION_619

3-D

:confused:

The first console to support 3-D is the PS3, it will be done in a few months time with a firmware update( nothing extra except for the specs)

jacque31    10
jacque31
The first console to support 3-D is the PS3, it will be done in a few months time with a firmware update( nothing extra except for the specs)

Oh okay - was a bit confused what you were referring to, but understand now.:P

Steve87    10
Steve87

I really would like to see how 3-D gaming looks, on any platform...I am a bit sceptical about putting on a pair of shades everytime i want to play a game. I think it would be quite cool for some games though! :)

And if you are stuck between the 3 consoles, have a look at the buying guide for some help.

jacque31    10
jacque31

Don't think i will be comfortable to say the least - think your eyes will get "tired" very quickly as i read somewhere these 3D glasses puts a lot of strain on your eyes.

Steve87    10
Steve87

After two weeks...its the PS3 that leads the way, with Nintendo following closely behind. Its quite clear that Sony's strategy of introducing a cheaper slimline version of their famous console is paying off. Sales for the past six months alone surpassed sales for the past financial year. Great stuff for sony fans!

Daykie    10
Daykie

Well when we had vouchers from a cell contract renewal there really was only one option as far as new consoles go and that was the Wii. Yes the Wii doesn't have as good graphics but not many games on the PS3 actually make proper use of the power anyway and badly done HD looks awful!

As for being behind all the time, I'd beg to differ. Who revived gaming after the big crash in 80s? Who made handheld gaming popular? Who first used a dedicated 3d chip in a game cartridge? Who introduced force feedback? And of course who introduced motion control? Oh wait it was nintendo! :-) Remind me what innovations sony has come up with? I'll give one point for blu ray! ;-)

It may be true that the PS3 has more games but when half of them are rubbish who cares and the main reason I bought the wii was for the nintendo exclusives, there's a reason that more of the top fifty games of all time on gamerankings.com are nintendo exclusives (not sold on any other consoles) than any other system exclusives. They know how to make games that are innovative and out right fun. Cinematic games are all right but play them once and then what?

Then there's all the characters and series they have created, Mario, Starfox, F zero, Zelda, Metroid, Pikmin, Kirby, Pokemon. How many exclusive series and characters has Sony created? Ratchet and Clank? *** of War? MGS doesn't count since it's origins go back to before the PS1 and there have been numerous MG games released on nintendo consoles. :-)

I've also seen pictures of the PS3 motion controller and it looks laughably silly. Didn't they try using cameras before with eye toy? There was a reason that didn't take off... because it sucked! Time will tell if it works but I doubt it'll be better than a motion plus wii controller. I mean with that thing I can put spin on the ball in table tennis, how cool is that? :-D The xbox one looks possibly cooler but a no controller concept might not feel right with gamers.

And you also have to give credit to the Wii for creating a market where there wasn't one before. Gaming used to be the realm of kids and nerds but with aiming it at families as well they've far outstripped their rivals in terms if sales. Besides if I feel like more action gaming I have a computer for that which is much better suited control wise.

So yup I'm well pleased with my Wii, I've been playing mario galaxy, super paper mario, smash bros and new super mario bros and the cool thing is my wife can join in too and the munchkin when he's a bit bigger. Plus it has full backwards compatibility so my killer collection of gamecube games lives on. Pikmin, Starfox, Mario, ahh the memories!