Sign in to follow this  
Cali Craft and Gems

More excessive postage!

brands online

anonymous ratings for anything is a dof idea. So many vindictive ppl out there, allowing them to rate anonymously is like cocking the gun and handing it to them

Cali Craft and Gems

I bought 4 tiny gems from a seller recently. When I asked about the postage I did not get a reply, but considering that the costs listed were R65 for the first item plus R10 per item thereafter, I was under the assumption that the postage method would be speed services.

Well... I was charged R95 for postage and the parcel arrived as insured econoparcel with an overall cost of R20.15 only! With the 4 items being R1 crazy auctions, I can now only assume that the seller is trying to recoup costs through his postage which I thought was not allowed.

I contacted CW / BoB to enquire on their opinion on the matter, and the reply I got was that they don't think that R70+ profit on postage alone is a problem! (ie. "not excessive")

In that case, what is classified as excessive?

I'm dumbfounded!

:o

lilythepink

Well, Cali, I am also dumbfounded! To my mind you were absolutely ripped off with postage & packaging!

qball

Hi

I have asked the security team to investigate further into this matter.

Kind regards

Cuan

lilythepink

Thanks, Cuan.

Cali Craft and Gems

Thank you! :)

Little Miss Muffet

I dont buy that much on Bob but I received a parcel today and noticed it cost the seller R20.

I must be missing something RE: postage as I never pay less than R30.00 for a parcel i.e. A box no matter the size. (Not bubble envelopes)

Is this econo parcel or uninsured???

Is insurance necessary??

lilythepink

Hi Pam. Small enough boxes weighing under 1 kg can go econo mail for R18.50!! (New tariff since 1 April 2010).

Little Miss Muffet

I cannot understand why my post office did not mention this to me.

That is a bonus for buyers

Thanks Lily. Do you know Ann Bright?--Cat club

Cali Craft and Gems

@ Cuan - anything further on my query below? I have not had a response on my emails. (Bertus said he'd look into the matter)

lilythepink
I cannot understand why my post office did not mention this to me.

That is a bonus for buyers

Thanks Lily. Do you know Ann Bright?--Cat club

You need to go and get a tariff booklet from your local PO. (If they don't have anymore, let me know and I'll try and get one here and send it to you - but I won't be going into the PO before 12th July!)

RISadler
anonymous ratings for anything is a dof idea. So many vindictive ppl out there, allowing them to rate anonymously is like cocking the gun and handing it to them

The ratings are only anonymous to the seller and other buyers, but the system does link it to the buyer. The objective is that you can rate the seller "positive" for the item, but "neutral" or even "negative" for postage, communication, etc.

There are also methods to prevent "revenge" ratings from happening, but that's another thread...

Cali Craft and Gems

And yet another seller simply ripping you off:

Gemstones - 925 silver white fire opal gemstone ring #8 for sale in Johannesburg (ID:23810042)

Overnight Postage (depending on area)R200.00 for the first item

R50.00 each additional item

This should NOT be allowed! It is blatant that this seller is making up for "lost funds" via postage!

RISadler

AFAIK, in the USA this is called "mail fraud" and a federal offence.

brands online
The ratings are only anonymous to the seller and other buyers, but the system does link it to the buyer. The objective is that you can rate the seller "positive" for the item, but "neutral" or even "negative" for postage, communication, etc.

There are also methods to prevent "revenge" ratings from happening, but that's another thread...

I do agree R200 a ring is ridiculous, but surely if a seller advertises their shipping/postage/packing charges upfront, then it's up to the buyer to decide whether to purchase/bid for the item. If they do after seeing the charges upfront, how can they complain afterward, anonymously or not? It's like being in a physical store. If you don't like what you see at the full price, you don't buy the item. But if you do decide to buy it, how can you still complain? Makes no sense at all...

RISadler

Yes to all what you've said. I always read the postage description and ask if I am unsure. If excessive, then I don't bid.

But what about all the "newbie" buyer who get burned? Do they return to bidorbuy? No, I don't think so. These "sellers" are chasing away potential buyers.

brands online
Yes to all what you've said. I always read the postage description and ask if I am unsure. If excessive, then I don't bid.

But what about all the "newbie" buyer who get burned? Do they return to bidorbuy? No, I don't think so. These "sellers" are chasing away potential buyers.

There is that argument as well, but then along the same lines, what about all the SNC's sellers are forced to file due to default buyers. Most of those are from newbie buyers or simply buyers with no ratings aka tricksters. Surely that's a deterrent to lots of current or potential sellers. I only say this as most of the ppl I introduce to BOB ask the same questions about lost money through advertising etc. There are a few grey areas on BOB that will always I guess be grey a BOB also have both a responsibilty to buyers and sellers as well as themselves and their business interests. My argument is ony that onus of the buyer shouldn't be shifted to the seller nor vice versa, not so?

kebs

Also, some buyers assume that when they see a high postage cost, it's going to be delivered by courier & insured.. Then it arrives through regular mail, & that's when the complaints come. I once bought something very small, postage R55. I assumed it was speed services (a few years ago before prices increased). It arrived through regular mail, not even insured. I should have checked first, but I know that now. First time buyers might not think to ask either, just assume..

RISadler

Correct.

There's a saying that goes: "A poacher who shoots at rabbits scares the big game away."

RISadler
Insurance is charged at an additional 3.00% of the order value

Apparently this is now the "normal" surcharge, even though to PO asks 2% (or 1% for SpeedServices).

lilythepink

Well I've seen a couple of sellers setting insurance at 5%! Illegal? I think so, and definitely immoral. But, then, who would think otherwise of a seller of small items charging R15.00 each to combine items? :mad:

Plant1

Good day, I have a complaint about a seller not clearly stating that he is not a South African seller in his listing.

http://a.imageshack.us/img153/1781/nowereinthelistingitsai.jpg

I buy a lot on bid or buy and never have i encountered a seller for potchefstroom saying in that he ships from the UK.

Before the autions closed I asked the seller to delete my bids.

He replied before the autions closed.

http://a.imageshack.us/img814/6946/bidsnotcancelled.png

He fail to do so but was arrogant in nuff to leave a message saying i cant read.

I have no previus negiteve feedback from sellers in the past.

I have no intention to buy these items if he want me to pay R449.00 shipping per item

I bided on the following items.

14 items from this seller giving me me a total of R6286.00 of postige to be paid.

This is my first complaint, and would like to have these items removed that i have won on aution.

Can some Bid or Buy admin assist me with this matter.

Regards Plant1

The list of items:

Men's Watches - MENS JEEP WATCH 5 ATM - Black face - RRP 1395 was sold for R1.00 on 4 Aug at 21:01 by CaltonPhones in Potchefstroom (ID:24534781)

Men's Watches - MENS JEEP WATCH 5 ATM CLASSIC Webbing STRAP RRP 1395 was sold for R1.00 on 4 Aug at 21:01 by CaltonPhones in Potchefstroom (ID:24534927)

Men's Watches - MENS JEEP WATCH 5 ATM - DIVER STYLE White face - RRP 1695 was sold for R1.00 on 4 Aug at 21:01 by CaltonPhones in Potchefstroom (ID:24534824)

Men's Watches - MENS JEEP WATCH 5 ATM - Black face - RRP 1395 was sold for R1.00 on 4 Aug at 21:01 by CaltonPhones in Potchefstroom (ID:24534671)

Men's Watches - MENS JEEP WATCH 5 ATM - Black face - RRP 1395 was sold for R1.00 on 4 Aug at 21:01 by CaltonPhones in Potchefstroom (ID:24534671)

Men's Watches - MENS JEEP WATCH 5 ATM CLASSIC LEATHER STRAP - Brown RRP 1395 was sold for R1.00 on 4 Aug at 21:01 by CaltonPhones in Potchefstroom (ID:24534220)

Men's Watches - Brand New Mens Relic Flames watch by Fossil in TIN was sold for R1.00 on 4 Aug at 21:01 by CaltonPhones in Potchefstroom (ID:24534229)

Men's Watches - MENS JEEP WATCH 5 ATM CHRONOGRAPH with Metal STRAP - BLUE face - NEW EUROPEAN RANGE was sold for R46.00 on 4 Aug at 21:01 by CaltonPhones in Potchefstroom (ID:24534212)

Men's Watches - BRAND NEW JEEP MENS - WATER RESISTANT WATCH with DATE was sold for R1.00 on 4 Aug at 21:01 by CaltonPhones in Potchefstroom (ID:24534207)

Men's Watches - MENS JEEP WATCH 5 ATM CLASSIC METAL STRAP - BLACK Face RRP 1395 was sold for R1.00 on 4 Aug at 21:01 by CaltonPhones in Potchefstroom (ID:24534209)

Men's Watches - MENS JEEP WATCH 5 ATM CHRONOGRAPH with Metal STRAP - BLUE face - NEW EUROPEAN RANGE was sold for R46.00 on 4 Aug at 21:01 by CaltonPhones in Potchefstroom (ID:24534212)

Men's Watches - Brand New Mens Relic Flames watch by Fossil in TIN was sold for R1.00 on 4 Aug at 21:01 by CaltonPhones in Potchefstroom (ID:24534229)

Men's Watches - MENS JEEP WATCH 5 ATM Chronograph metal STRAP - White face - RRP 1995 was sold for R1.00 on 4 Aug at 21:01 by CaltonPhones in Potchefstroom (ID:24534221)

Men's Watches - MENS JEEP WATCH 5 ATM CLASSIC metal STRAP - White face RRP 1395 was sold for R1.00 on 4 Aug at 21:01 by CaltonPhones in Potchefstroom (ID:24534219)

kebs

Hi there.. Unfortunately the seller has stated in his listings the postage cost & that it cannot be combined.. If you read the "shipping & other charges" section, you can see it clearly explained. No offence to you intended, but you need to read the whole listing before you buy something & I personally always check the postage section first.. Because he has actually stated the postage costs & explained everything upfront in each listing, I don't think you can do much about removing your winning bids..