Sign in to follow this  
EDWARDUS

Overcharge By Seller

EDWARDUS    10
EDWARDUS

I BID ON A DVD ON WEDNESDAY CRAZY AUCTION, DID NOT READ THE POSTAGE, AS I HAVE BEEN BUYING LONG ENOUGH TO MORE OR LESS KNOW THE CHARGES. IMAGINE MY HORROR WHEN I WON THE DVD TO BE FACED WITH A R100 SHIPPING CHARGE. BID OR BUYERS BEWARE OF SELLERS TRYING TO MAKE MONEY OUT OF POSTAGE. I FEEL THE POWERS TO BE ON BoB SHOULD KEEP AN EYE ON THIS TYPE OF PRACTICE. EDWARDUS

BumbleBee    10
BumbleBee

How about posting a link to the item so we can all have a look ;)

tramps    10
tramps

hi edwardus,

i was also going to bid on the harry potter movie that you bid on but the increments were ridiculous and then the postage R100-00 anywhere in rsa. i asked the question speed services or economail and was told it was normal post with a tracking number. ID number for your sale is

20381625. same seller no sale ID20380526 answered the question R80-00 for 1 cd and R120-00 for 2. same seller ID 20380480 question asked about postage and the answer was that he quoted wrong price at R80-00 and the correct price was R75-00. you could buy all 3 cds and send it with speed services for less than that. i have also had experience with a cape town based seller who believes that cape town is not a part of south africa and doesn't use the south african postal services so we the buyers who might also be sellers and post regularly don't know what the charges are. i am sorry but do not know haw to post a link to the item so have given id numbers

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/20381625/Harry_Potter_and_the_Half_Blood_Prince_two_disc_edition.html

BumbleBee    10
BumbleBee

I bought a box set from this seller recently and paid R25 for normal post :confused:

voldermort    10
voldermort

I have also bought from this seller before, last time not even a month ago & postage was R25.00 econo-mail.

SProducts    10
SProducts

I bought 7 dvds and paid R32.00 fom thi seller. I always ensure I win more so I pay cheap shipping.

Sipho

tramps    10
tramps

i think i also bought from this buyer before and the postage was reasonable but if you think that maybe he wasn't getting the prices he expected the only way to recover his costs or losses is to load the postage prices. i think that bob should look into the matter as we are all aware of the cost of postage and packaging and are prepared to pay a reasonable shipping amount.

shoron    10
shoron

I often come across posts from buyers who complain of being overcharged on postage by certain sellers.

Whilst I am totally against sellers profiting or compensating their losses from excessive postage and packaging, it is ultimately the buyers choice whether or not to bid on the item, especially so if the postage costs are clearly indicated.

Similarly, one needs to ask the question if they would purchase from shops which sell goods at excessively high prices ?

If nobody supports unscupulous sellers, then those sellers would be forced to adjust their shipping costs or go out of business.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

There is actually a law that prevents anyone profiteering from postage costs! Just speak to your local postmaster!

shoron    10
shoron

Shipping costs, one might argue does just comprise of postage but packaging, travelling etc as well.

I doubt there is a law yet regulating these costs, thus allowing the loophole for unscrupulous sellers to inflate shipping costs.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

Yes, but Bid or Buy do seem to keep an open mind on the costs and when they are ridiculous they take action. So it is always worth reporting ridiculous shipping costs to CW.

Technik    10
Technik

It may also be a mistake.

The new, and very excellent shipping functionality works very nice, except if you are ignorant as to all it's functionality (it might even have worked like this on the previous version).

I went and updated the shipping cost for a very heavy item - on the default shipping charges! This action then updated every single listing with the new charge - even the "just sold" ones. Fortunately, a very understanding buyer informed me that the charge changed on the item that he bought, and I could correct my mistake.

Mmmm...... Read before you Leap

shoron    10
shoron

True. Sometimes, especially for new buyers, its more important getting in that R1 bid than reading the entire auction, which can prove costly later.

Also on some auctions the buyers should be aware of the combining fees which can also be extremely high when bidding on multiple items from same seller.

tramps    10
tramps

postage and packaging is a pricky point. if i see what postage is charged on an item and i agree to pay it, it is fine. the topic actually started with postage of dvds. i have bought a few. if you put 3 into a padded envelope which costs around R5-00 and weighs under 1kg, economail costs R17-05. i am prepared to pay R30-00-R35-00 for shipping which should cover some the sellers petrol to drive to the post office. when you get charged R80-00 or R100-00 for 1 dvd in the same packaging and same economail you wonder why the seller is charging so much and you ask the question, he thinks you are crazy for asking as buyers don't know the effort that goes into packing and postage. how can anyone explain the R80-00 charge when you receive your parcel with a R17-05 price sticker on it.

Delicious    10
Delicious
how can anyone explain the R80-00 charge when you receive your parcel with a R17-05 price sticker on it.

Well they could use the line that they live sooooooo far out of town - but then their area would not show CT, would show some random farm area's name ;)

meeks    10
meeks

A few times, it has happened, that a buyer would add too much postage to the item won so they would speculate on the weight of the items,purely because I did not stipulate what the weight is, then I would let them know, and do a refund, by just putting the excess in their parcel.

Attempting to recoup one's "loss" on items through excessive postage is definitely ripping buyers off.

wayjen    10
wayjen

the postmaster as no idea what you charge on BoB for postage he charges you what the law tells him to charge for postage, so unless all BoB sellers let the PO do the packaging and costing thereof you will always getting people trying to make a mint from overcharging on postage.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink
A few times, it has happened, that a buyer would add too much postage to the item won so they would speculate on the weight of the items,purely because I did not stipulate what the weight is, then I would let them know, and do a refund, by just putting the excess in their parcel.

Attempting to recoup one's "loss" on items through excessive postage is definitely ripping buyers off.

I absolutely agree with "meeks" methodology - I also refund buyers, when they overpay on postage, by putting the refund inside their parcel. Has happened a couple of times with over-enthusiastic buyers, often newbies. :P

tramps    10
tramps

i have in the past also put the cash back into the buyers parcel if the postage was alot cheaper. i have also e-mailed them a cheaper postage rate if the item was small. we have new staff at our post office all the time as they have been robbed about 5 times since june last year and the postage i get charged is up and down never the same.

babyface2    10
babyface2

my hubby also bought a dvd did not check the postage and was charged 65.00 for potage. i keep monies over paid for postage in credit or refund as the one lady at our po always seen to undercharge and could not care or do not understand the post office prices. you keep buyers by not ripping off on postage.

tramps    10
tramps
hi edwardus,

i was also going to bid on the harry potter movie that you bid on but the increments were ridiculous and then the postage R100-00 anywhere in rsa. i asked the question speed services or economail and was told it was normal post with a tracking number. ID number for your sale is

20381625. same seller no sale ID20380526 answered the question R80-00 for 1 cd and R120-00 for 2. same seller ID 20380480 question asked about postage and the answer was that he quoted wrong price at R80-00 and the correct price was R75-00. you could buy all 3 cds and send it with speed services for less than that. i have also had experience with a cape town based seller who believes that cape town is not a part of south africa and doesn't use the south african postal services so we the buyers who might also be sellers and post regularly don't know what the charges are. i am sorry but do not know haw to post a link to the item so have given id numbers

Drama - Harry Potter and the Half - Blood Prince (two disc edition) for sale in Isipingo

i have bought 3 dvds from this buyer recently. he has dropped his postage to R25-00 for the first 2 items. when i made payment i requested that he combine my purchases. i think you should be able to fit another dvd into the envelope without any difficulty and his postage cost should stay the same. i received an e-mail requesting another R25-00 for the third item to be sent. i paid the funds in and waited. yesterday i received my parcel. 1 dvd in a normal brown envelope not padded and taped together to make one parcel. postage charged at R18-15. i would have paid a handling fee but nothing ridiculous but to pay double the postage i feel is a rip off.

tramps    10
tramps

Q

hi why don't you want to combine shipping - Asked by tramps (1371 rating5.gif)

27 Apr 20:53

A

The current offer is R25 per each 2 DVDs. Any other considered offers would depend on prices paid and the number of DVDs purchased.

27 Apr 21:06

just to add to my previous comment. i asked the question above and got his answer. does it not sound like he would adjust his price according to the price he got on auction? making money out of postage.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink
Q

hi why don't you want to combine shipping - Asked by tramps (1371 rating5.gif)

27 Apr 20:53

A

The current offer is R25 per each 2 DVDs. Any other considered offers would depend on prices paid and the number of DVDs purchased.

27 Apr 21:06

just to add to my previous comment. i asked the question above and got his answer. does it not sound like he would adjust his price according to the price he got on auction? making money out of postage.

This needs to be reported to communitywatch@bidorbuy.co.za as it is patently clear that "depending upon the purchase price" postage will cover the Seller's costs! Not kosher at all.

tramps    10
tramps

when i received my goods i was not impressed so i rated negative. i got an e-mail quering the rating and was also offered a discount on my next purchase. i told the seller that i worked on his deal now and not in the future but also informed him to change his shipping. he hasn't. i would have been happy to pay a R5-00 handling fee for each additional item.