Sign in to follow this  
Natalie_R

What was the Book that Got You Reading?

wayjen

those are he ones that either really want the book or know a good deal when they see one.

voldermort
We always said that if you put a roof on the mountains either side of the valley then Fish Hoek would be a giant old age home. i try not to pay more than R10 - R15 for a book on the fleamarket or a fete.

I remember my mother always telling us kids that Fish Hoek was the scene of a murder at a house in one of those numbered streets, I think either 10th or 12th. The husband just took out the entire family & that was soooo scandalous it's kept us out of Fish Hoek ever since hearing that.

wayjen

ha ha let me find out about that one cause my grandmother was one of the first families that build their house there in 13th ave. let me get back to you on that one.

voldermort
ha ha let me find out about that one cause my grandmother was one of the first families that build their house there in 13th ave. let me get back to you on that one.

Well let me know, if I remember rightly they all lived in Fish Hoek then he tried to escape to Kenilworth, I think it was back in the 50's or early 60's.

We had our own murder in Milnerton in the early 70's with a woman bn murdered in her garden by a bergie, after which & to this day when passing by the house it is referred to as "the murder house".:o

wayjen

shiver me kneecaps!!!!!!!!!!!

I will ask my dad when i see him online again and see if he knows anything. we here in Ysterplaat/Brooklyn have also heard stories of murders in this area.

shiver me kneecaps!!!!!!!

voldermort
shiver me kneecaps!!!!!!!!!!!

I will ask my dad when i see him online again and see if he knows anything. we here in Ysterplaat/Brooklyn have also heard stories of murders in this area.

shiver me kneecaps!!!!!!!

Ysterplaat/Brooklyn is notorious for murders. My granny lived in Vasco Street from the 50's right up until she passed away about 10 years ago & the park opposite her house used to have at least one murder every 3 monthes.

That should really shiver your kneecaps :D

wayjen

I know i have seen the name but cannot place it now. something tells me it's below Koeberg road (we airforce base side) and we been here for about 7 yrs now and this place has gone bad.

(we off topic now i suspect)

voldermort
I know i have seen the name but cannot place it now. something tells me it's below Koeberg road (we airforce base side) and we been here for about 7 yrs now and this place has gone bad.

(we off topic now i suspect)

Yes, below Koeberg Road side.....anyway back to the topic, I loved comics & swap shops :D

wayjen

ha ha ha me too.

sueanddaves

My Dad used to take us to the swap shops - loved them!! Archie comics were his favourite so we got to read them too!! We always seemed to go in the evening as our particular one was open until 8.00pm. Yeh, what happened to them??

lilythepink

My mother wouldn't allow us to read "picture comic books" and despite my sister and me sneaking in several every now and again, they would always "disappear". Mom believed that we had to read "proper" books, which we both did and loved doing, but as adults we could still never accept that we were "wasting our pocket money" on comics!

JPBon

First things I remember reading were Noddy Books

MsPlod

Dr Seuss!! Definitely Dr. Seuss... My boys (2 & 4) are Seuss fiends too now, so getting a second chance to go through them all again. Amazing books!

Was really lucky because when my brother started learning to read I was 2 - so I learned with him and by the age of 3 I was a confirmed bookaholic.

Never looked back. Also used to max out the public- and school library tickets, would go and climb a tree, or the koppie behind our house, and just read! Still choose a book over TV or DVDs any day although have not read much for the past two months. Am an avid reader of just about anything except romances (unless there is a really exciting plot heh heh heh). At the moment though, with the two littles (and not too much sleep) my attention levels are only really high enough for schlock thrillers, good fantasy and suchlike. Terry Pratchett, Patricia Cornwall, James Patterson, Matt Dickinson and definitely Carl Hiaasen are a few of my faves. Just really sad that Douglas Adams had to pop off so young!

Have a little printed "cheat sheet" - the size of a business card - with all my favourite authors' names on it which I carry in my purse. Any time someone recommends an author (or book) it gets written onto the back of the cheat sheet and every year or so I reprint it with the "new" authors' names added (if I've anjoyed them). Makes visiting the library such fun because if I can't find anything to read by just browsing, or am in a hurry, I use the cheat sheet to check out whether there are any unread titles from my fave authors.

Edited by MsPlod
OCD

BumbleBabe

Will tell you when I read one :razz:

Any suggestions?

MsPlod
Will tell you when I read one :razz:

Any suggestions?

Try reading Nora Roberts' books - they're fun and light reading... She writes mostly detective stories but also semi-thrillers with a lot of fun and romance thrown in for good measure.:cool:

BumbleBabe
Try reading Nora Roberts' books - they're fun and light reading... She writes mostly detective stories but also semi-thrillers with a lot of fun and romance thrown in for good measure.:cool:

Thanks MsPlod will look out for them, love detective story but the ones I got is heavy reading.

Stuck to Daniel Steel books because they easy to read, just to soppy for me.

wayjen

By the sounds of some people on the forum they were born reading the Wall Street Journal.

DestinysAngels

:love:I love the Dog Whisperer, Dog Listener, The Dog Breed Bible, Your Sick Dog, Yorkshire Terriers, Dog Wisdom and many more, also love Dr Phil, i have almost all his books and Angel Guidance, Obsession, Gemstones, Gordon Smith, and Dorreen Virtue! When i was younger it was Die Ruiter op die Wit Perd and Love Stories!

MsPlod

Nora Roberts also writes some of her books under the pseudonym JD Robb. Also great fun books... Well worth reading if you want escapist reading (my best kind at the moment LOL)

BumbleBabe
By the sounds of some people on the forum they were born reading the Wall Street Journal.

Yeah sounds like it.

I was reading and programming on dos instead of reading books. We had a computer that loaded with a tape in a cassette player, I was about 4 or 5. Today I know nothing when it comes to tech.

wayjen
Yeah sounds like it.

I was reading and programming on dos instead of reading books. We had a computer that loaded with a tape in a cassette player, I was about 4 or 5. Today I know nothing when it comes to tech.

and you could make a mint with that machine today.

BumbleBee

There was a great series of "books" out a few years back, anyone remember Scope Magazine? Great Articles! :razz:

kyle2

My first and favourite book was(and I still have it!) is, The secret of Killimoon by Enid Blyton. Holy cow, that was more than 30 years ago!

Secret tunnels, mountains, secret tribe, had me gripped for hours.:grin:

MsPlod

Say WHAT???

My first and favourite book was(and I still have it!) is, The secret of Killimoon by Enid Blyton. Holy cow, that was more than 30 years ago!

Secret tunnels, mountains, secret tribe, had me gripped for hours.:grin:

And there I thought I had read EVERY single book Enid B. wrote! Missed this one - thanks Kyle!:awesome:

wayjen
There was a great series of "books" out a few years back, anyone remember Scope Magazine? Great Articles! :razz:

I liked to keep abreast of those articles.