Sign in to follow this  
Natalie_R

What was the Book that Got You Reading?

Natalie_R

A lot of 'non-readers'don't read because they find it doesn't hold their attention long enough.

So, what special book was it that grabbed you by the eye sockets and turned you into a BOOKWORM?

qball

The Hardy Boys... ;-)

Asha Craft Jewellery

I honestly have no idea. I've personally always loved books and have been reading since... I could read. lol

I don't think you can make someone love reading. It's like being a sweet or salt person. If you prefer chips, you won't trade it for chocolates. You might try it once in a while, but in the end you will revert back to what you love.

mellowred

The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe :D by CS Lewis

admin

Back in the day, anything by Louis L'amour. ;)

Technik

It had to be the very first book that I've read - Baas en Mossie - in sub A, when my aunt, the local school teacher taught me to read. From then on, it was whatever the lady driving the provincial library-bus had available every second Thursday.

lilythepink

"Janet and John" was my first reader in Sub A (Grade 1) way back when. I progressed very quickly to become an avid reader and I loved all Enid Blyton's books. Others that come to mind are The Waterbabies, Grimm's Fairytales (how horrific most of them were!), etc.

Delicious

The Famous Five - there was nothing else to do at after-school.. ;)

Vinyl Lady Decals

My gran got me reading the reader's digest condensed books in Sub A and I've been hooked ever since. I love reading, but don't have much time for it anymore. Read Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew, Famous Five, Faraway Tree. I went through my school library far too quickly. Was reading about five books a day in Std 4 - 5. My mom never believed I was actually reading the stories and used to quiz me. After a while, she realised I was reading and enjoying every word.

wayjen

Don't remember but if i had a guess i would say my first ufo book and or my first Erich von Daniken book and this sent me on a quest for books from Fish Hoek all the way to Cape Town.

booksallsizes

Like Lily, 'Janet and John' because they got me reading (along with their dog 'Spot') - found two of these readers the other day and had to buy them. Finished them pretty quickly, though.... Not much plot...:D

lilythepink
Like Lily, 'Janet and John' because they got me reading (along with their dog 'Spot') - found two of these readers the other day and had to buy them. Finished them pretty quickly, though.... Not much plot...:D

I think they've been overtaken by Jack and Jill who go up the hill to practise what they ought not to! lol

BookBin

COMICS - BEANO and Casper and Richie Rich

wish I still had them all, but it was definitely comics that gt me and my siblings hooked on reading long before starting school. I have 5 kids, the youngest one discovered his dad's hidden stash of Beano comics and annuals and now at 8 he is a bookworm like you have never seen, always has his nose is a book (not just comics) or magazine of some sort. Difficult to get here though because he does not like the super hero comics which are the only ones available here....... ANd although all my kids grew up surrounded by books, and having mom read to them every night, and going to the library every week, none of them has the passion for reading that he has, so GIVE THE CHILDREN COMICS! Bring back those fun Little Dot and Wendy Witch, ...

wayjen
wish I still had them all, but it was definitely comics that gt me and my siblings hooked on reading long before starting school. I have 5 kids, the youngest one discovered his dad's hidden stash of Beano comics and annuals and now at 8 he is a bookworm like you have never seen, always has his nose is a book (not just comics) or magazine of some sort. Difficult to get here though because he does not like the super hero comics which are the only ones available here....... ANd although all my kids grew up surrounded by books, and having mom read to them every night, and going to the library every week, none of them has the passion for reading that he has, so GIVE THE CHILDREN COMICS! Bring back those fun Little Dot and Wendy Witch, ...

10000%

I grew up reading comics and swopping them at swop shops when they still SWOPPED comics and books. I also used to read annuals too.

voldermort
10000%

I grew up reading comics and swopping them at swop shops when they still SWOPPED comics and books. I also used to read annuals too.

Remember the swap shops.......I used to go to them at least 2x week with my Archie, Jughead, Spooky, Little Lotta etc. Now there is something (swap shops) really missed.

wayjen
Remember the swap shops.......I used to go to them at least 2x week with my Archie, Jughead, Spooky, Little Lotta etc. Now there is something (swap shops) really missed.

yeah you swopped like for like if i remember right. Then one day they started giving one book/comic for two of yours and then you had to pay.

I remember needing money one day as a youngster and selling all my comics to a swop shop, i proberly bought sweets with the money.

voldermort
yeah you swopped like for like if i remember right. Then one day they started giving one book/comic for two of yours and then you had to pay.

I remember needing money one day as a youngster and selling all my comics to a swop shop, i proberly bought sweets with the money.

Yep, it was like for like, then eventually they woke up & you had to always pay some kind of difference, if memory serves me right it was between 5 & 20 cents, (depending on how many you were swopping) seeing as I grew up dirt poor and never had that kind of cash that was when I discovered libraries ;)

wayjen
Yep, it was like for like, then eventually they woke up & you had to always pay some kind of difference, if memory serves me right it was between 5 & 20 cents, (depending on how many you were swopping) seeing as I grew up dirt poor and never had that kind of cash that was when I discovered libraries ;)

i agree. those were wonderful times.

voldermort

I think along the Main Road from Tokai right down to Observatory there must have been at least 20 of them.........yeah, really good times :)

wayjen
I think along the Main Road from Tokai right down to Observatory there must have been at least 20 of them.........yeah, really good times :)

I started at The Bookworm in Fish Hoek and worked my way up to Town. I was on a mission. :P

voldermort
I started at The Bookworm in Fish Hoek and worked my way up to Town. I was on a mission. :P

No, Fish Hoek was like going to another state, :o the end of the line for me was Tokai but I used to go to each & every one of them up to & including Tokai. My favourite was the one right at the end of Gabriel Road, at the border of Plumstead & Wynberg, across the road from where the Hotel was/is? I can't remember the name but I think it was owned by a Mr. Atkinson. I was totally addicted to those shops. :)

wayjen

ha ha ha we never knew there was life outside Fish Hoek. I am trying to remember all the shops i went to from that side but all i can remember is the places but not the names. What about fete's and fleamarkets. I still look for books there but money is too tight to buy now.

voldermort
ha ha ha we never knew there was life outside Fish Hoek. I am trying to remember all the shops i went to from that side but all i can remember is the places but not the names. What about fete's and fleamarkets. I still look for books there but money is too tight to buy now.

Ha ha ha & for us travelling to Fish Hoek was like going to the Moon, we knew that there was life there...we just weren't sure what kind :o Saw a really really nice book at the fleamarket a few weekends ago & asked the price only to be told R400.00........at a fleamarket........ & then saw the same book here on BoB for R100.00.

At the school/church fete's they also tend to have very high prices, I think these days everybody 1st has a look on the net to see the going rate of whatever it is they are selling & then that is the price they want so it is really hard to find anything worthwhile at a reasonable price. :(

wayjen

We always said that if you put a roof on the mountains either side of the valley then Fish Hoek would be a giant old age home. i try not to pay more than R10 - R15 for a book on the fleamarket or a fete.

voldermort

I won't pay more than R20.00 a book at a fleamarket or fete, but if you take a look around these places you'll see a lot of books bn sold for R100.00 or more and they are sold.:confused: