Sign in to follow this  
eZethu Coins

help in clearing up a grading issue

eZethu Coins
Hi eZethu Coins

I will try and upload some pictures of coins with similar problems

Cheers.....

I have just spoken to another person that bought about 10 similar coins - also MS62 - also in the last week and they have the same issue. He has another MS 62 graded more than year ago and comparing the old vs the new he noticed a vast difference. I hope to have photos by tomorrow to share here. Seem that (on that specific coin at least) the grading standards have dropped quite a bit.

the plot thickens

eZethu Coins
One of the reasons I buy Graded Coins and have Coins Graded, is that when I pass on......my better coins will be left to my Children but more likely my Grandchildren and on that basis they will know what the coins are and basically they cannot easily be damaged by mishandling etc.

Also if they want to sell the coins sometime in the future they would be easier to market/sell say on BoB without any expertise.

I prefer to keep my Grading costs to a minimum and by Grading locally the cost per coin is in the region of R100.00 (good value) whereas going the American route the cost would be upward of R500.00 per coin....plus all the shipping and customs hassles.;)

One of the reason why I buy graded coins, is that my children can handle them too.

rjbSALES

Renaldo

thank you very much for posting this thread,I have to agree with most of what is said, especially some NGC graded coins i also received seem not worth the grade..the reason a slabbed coin is preferred is to ensure a certain amount of subjectivity is eliminated so that buyer and seller can agree on price as a third party professional service slabbed it..this issue opens a whole can of worms...

ZARGold

TOTALLY DISAGREE with the statement of Bellcoin that it is a waste to grade a proof coin.

What about 1892 ZAR Proofs,1923 SOV and Half SOV etc. LOW MINTAGE Proof coins SHOULD BE GRADED.Nobody is going to pay a premium price for a ZAR Proof ungraded.Low mintage US proof coins eg certain Double Eagles command prices of millions of US dollars.WHOULD ANYBODY IN HIS/HER RIGHT MIND PAY THAT FOR AN UNGRADED PROOF ??? Grading is NOT ONLY ASSIGNING A GRADE IT IS ALSO AT THE SAME TIME CERTIFYING THAT THE COIN IS GENUINE !!

You get low grade and high grade Proofs.Why should there not be a system like grading where the better one command a better price ??

If you are against grading Proofs,then you must have a problem with Protea series coins grading MS.

Anyway,high grade MS coins have NEVER BEEN CIRCULATED (straight from the MINT/Bank into a collector's stash !).So what's the dif ??

eZethu Coins

One thing that is clear is that people grade coins or buy graded coins for various reasons. We are back to having hobbyists and investors (and a combination in some cases). Nothing wrong with that.

alloway65

It is nice to see one of the BoB Forum Topic’s that I am interested in (Numismatics) is still alive and kicking, my other “hobby” interests Philately and Gemstones are dead on BoB...as far as the Forum goes....no real debate as such.

I am a hobbyist and an investor in the three collectables mentioned and they all give me great pleasure and sometimes good investment returns....I love playing the stock markets but very clinical...it is nice to buy a collectable and see and feel it in-the-flesh so to speak...no finger marks on coins though...I have cotton gloves when I do handle ungraded coins!

Re American Coins issued by the US Mint over the past few years, I love the Silver Eagles and with reference to the earlier comment as to not Grading Proof Coins...I checked my collection and to my surprise all my NGC Graded SE’s are Uncirculated MS69 and all my Proof SE’s only come in the U S Mint’s original boxes.....before I checked I was sure I had Graded Proofs.....interesting!!!!

I looked in an American coin catalogue that I had on my desk and the only Graded Proof Coin I found was the USA 2009 Braille Silver Dollar!

Thanks guys a very interesting topic.

David

Bellcoin

Hi ZARGOLD

Maybe I should have stated it it abit more clearly - I did not mean early ZAR, Union or anything "period" my comments are entirely aimed at the proofs currently being issued and proofs issued of the last few years. Numbers are high - the difference in grade is seriously like splitting hairs! I collect coins for the beauty of the coin not the grade. My ZAR and Union are graded however but not one Protea.

The numbers are high and its common knowledge that after a year of so the values drop. So whether owning a PF70 Ghandi or a 68 makes no real difference, except for the grade which is subjective. - ITS STILL A PROOF!

Seriously now - I would like to be the person grading 2008 Mandela Birthdays by the thousand!!! Subjectivity must suffer. The 2008 Mandela Birthday proofs are on the way - BANG!!!

Sorry if I was not more specific - and YES I AGREE WITH 110%

MS Protea's are unc issued by the Mint - huge difference between a MS protea and a proof protea.

eZethu Coins
I recently received an NGC graded coin and was surprised at the coin vs the grade. I don't want to say at this stage what the grade is, but I have verified the coin on NGC's site and even saw the picture stored there.

I know there are a lot of experts out there - what class grade do you think belong to this coin - nothing specific required - a plain VF, XF, AU, MS or PF will do.

...and I know that the picture is not the best quality, but hope that it will show enough detail.

See the attachment.(ADDED THE 2ND ATTACHMENT)

And here is another MS62 from a while ago - I can see a difference

for1.jpg.fdcdc96b83906be56cac64e8cce01efa.jpg

for2.jpg.9c9191bce0e2f21671dc6a37bdc325cf.jpg

for3.jpg.71a616ecbf2e6dbaa2afedea90dcca12.jpg

RISadler

Stupid question, but how about confronting the grading company and claim for misrepresentation from them?

BumbleBee

I don't see how an average collector could even start thinking about doing something like that, what would you claim? I think I paid less than the grading fee for the coin. Still, I think the casual collector would just be farting against thunder attempting something like that, unless he belonged to a club or society that would be prepared to handle the matter.

Guest Guest

Tzaneen - totally off topic.. ooops!

Hi Bumblebee...

Totally off topic but I know you will enjoy this. I passed through Tzaneen in September 2006 - I arrived there after travelling from Pietersburg along what must be the most dangerous tarred road in South Africa! (I did not realise at the time).

While at Tzaneen I stopped at your dam with its brick topped wall and with an electrified white settlement (secured by a guard post) just below this wall. Then I headed south on the R36 and spent a wonderful time admiring the scenery on both sides of the J G Strijdom tunnel!

Tzaneen is a truly beautiful spot!

PS Looking forward to South Africa sorting out Mexico in their first match tomorrow...

Kind regards

Scott Balson

BumbleBee

Scott, yes I agree totally, Tzaneen is easily one of the most beautiful places in SA, especially now in winter, everything is still green. I assume you are talking about the Magoebaskloof Pass? A totally awesome piece of road for sunday breakfast runs :D

Rare NotesCoins

When I see the prices people pay for rubbish it gives me the runs. From breakfast to dinner pewwwwwwwww poep :D