Sign in to follow this  
qball

Search Improvements

qball

Hi All

There are a number of hints/tips users can use in order to improve your

search-experience, we have just released several new releases on the search facility.

Did you mean: We introduced a search recommendation for cases where a user might have misspelled a word or our search-engine suggests

a better search term:

Search for ipot, result - Did you mean ipod?

Dropdown search: Any keyword typed into the "Find"-field will result in an immediate search-suggestion of previously searched items. Typing in

"ipod nano" will result in search results containing "ipod" and "nano" (position is irrelevant - it will also show "nano ipod")

Exact search: Typing in a search term in double-quotes will result in an exact result of the whole term.

Single Wildcard search: The single character wildcard search looks for terms that match that with the single character replaced. For example, to search for "taken" or "token" you can use the "?" to wildcard single characters.

Search term t?ken, results - taken, token etc.

Multiple Wildcard search: Same as above, but the "*" will replace a number of characters (in the case below a sequence of

characters between the "t" and the "k":

Search term t*k, results - taken, take 2, textbooks etc.

Fuzzy Search: The wildcard "~" will search for a term similar to the word. If you type in "roam~" it will find terms such as "foam", "road" etc.

More advanced Searches: A user wanting to search for "Apple IPod" but not being interested in the touch, would for example use the "-" as a filter criteria:

Search term apple ipod -touch, results - apple ipod, apple ipod nano etc.

Happy searching!

Regards

Cuan

voldermort

Thank you......this will definately help to simplify matters when searching for certain items although I have a feeling the Fuzzy Search is where I'll be most times :)

design_hibo

The search improvements are great, just a couple of questions…

When I type in, "ipod" a drop down list appears, offering me a list of suggestions. When I click on one of the suggestions, why does it not search for this suggestion?

Also, when I type a search query such as "Audi", a drop down list appears with suggestions, but if I don't want to select any suggestions and press enter to search (without selecting any drop down suggestions) nothing happens...

I've tried safari and firefox.

MacMuffin
The search improvements are great, just a couple of questions…

When I type in, "ipod" a drop down list appears, offering me a list of suggestions. When I click on one of the suggestions, why does it not search for this suggestion?

Also, when I type a search query such as "Audi", a drop down list appears with suggestions, but if I don't want to select any suggestions and press enter to search (without selecting any drop down suggestions) nothing happens...

I've tried safari and firefox.

Thanks for that feedback - both issues should be resolved now.