Sign in to follow this  
seahorsefanatic

The New South African Colour Catalogue

RISadler

So maybe the new catalogue is great from a buyers' perspective?

RISadler

Just checked for SACC in the "Stamps" section. Holy Underwear! Five-hundred Rand! Methinks I'll stick to my 2001 edition and spend the money on some stamps.

alloway65

I agree, I have bought nearly every Colour Catalouge since its inception...even did a critique on one many years ago.........will give this year's issue a miss! Lutz we miss you!:(

nivek456

Hi All, I have not seen the new stamp Cat. Any stamp that is still valid for postage should be cataloged at face value.I understand all the Homeland stamps are still valid for postage,you would need a lot on an envelope but if you can save 50% on your postage costs. Would anybody sell stamps at 50% of face value? I don't think so.

Does anyone know what the postal increase will be on the 1st April, local PO has no idea it is increasing.

Regards Kevin.

Vinyl Lady Decals

Does anyone know what the postal increase will be on the 1st April, local PO has no idea it is increasing.

Regards Kevin.

I find that hard to believe, it increases every year at that date. Are the staff at you PO so unobservant?

RISadler

nivek456, I agree with you. One of the best places to buy SA stamps are at small Post Offices in tiny Karoo towns. They still sell heaps of 90's stamps at face value. And the PO here at H'Bos was using Zuma stamps on basically everything, apparently just to get rid of them.

dstorm

Hello all

Coming back to the original topic…

When the previous SACC came out in 2008, I sold a large number of catalogues (from my shop and through BoB) within the first two weeks.

This time, I have not covered 20% of the 2008 sales!

Surely there must be a moral in the story somewhere?!

Regards

Jacques

alloway65

Hi Jacques,

· Could it be the downturn in the economy!

· The very high issue price!

· The new publisher/editors!

· The bad news (lower prices) contained in the new SACC!

· All the above!

The moral is ....times change...people change!!!

Have a good day off!

David

richardkzn

New Catalgue

HI every one. Can you all be of help to me. I am trying to locate Ann Southwood from KZN with whom i placed an order on BOB for a new catalogue. My computer recently got a virus and i lost a lot of info including her contact number. If any one knows her and can forward me her number i would be most grateful.

Regards Richard

admin

Hi Richard,

Her contact details will still be on your bidorbuy profile if the sale went through bidorbuy. ;)

librashares

30th Edition 2010/11 sales?

Coming back to the original topic…

When the previous SACC came out in 2008, I sold a large number of catalogues (from my shop and through BoB) within the first two weeks.

This time, I have not covered 20% of the 2008 sales!

Surely there must be a moral in the story somewhere?!

Regards

Jacques

Hi All, I took the 29th(2008/9) Edition, and the new SACC 2010/11, 30th Edition

to East London Philatelic society last month, with the offer to bring orders down on my next visit- . After having the opportunity to compare and discuss, not one person expressed interest in buying the new softcover book. Comment was that it was out of touch with the needs of collectors, and had lost value and content as a reference work.:(.How are the orders going Jacques?

dstorm

Hello Librashares

How are the orders going Jacques?

Just returned from a week long visit to the Western Cape, so I do not now how many I have sold in my shop, but the BidorBuy sales for the last week are rather pathetic (to be very diplomatic).

But the new SACC also brought some humour to the life of a stamp dealer. Last Saturday at the East Rand Stamp Fair, a collector from Witbank told me that all stamp dealers are, if not legally, at least morally obliged to sell at the new SACC prices!

Keep well and regards

Jacques

seahorsefanatic

Hi there to all from the fairest cape.

It seems that I've hit the proverbial nail on the head. This nail had such a big head one could'nt miss it if you tried.

Although the market will decide the price of an item at that particular time it is sold, this is still not a true reflection of what its worth. What the market expects of a "catalogue" revolves around value and information. The information is continually updated as the years go by ( new varieties are added, etc ) The values are adjusted if only to allow for inflation.

If all items issued by a postal authority are finite and reduce in number as they are damaged or destroyed then one can conclude that all items will eventually go up in value as the years go by.

The current 2010 SACC catalogue defies reality in this regard in the examples that I've used earlier in this post i.e. 1976 Transkei definative folder and the SWA 1974 birds set.

The 2010 SACC catalogue that I bought is in mint condition ( although not signed by the instigator ). I am happy to part with it for the first R300 that anyone is prepared to pay plus shipping cost. Thats how strongly I feel about the botch job that has been done. :cool:. I will not be holding my breath for any takers.

Pierre_Henri

The problem with catalogues ...

I still use the 2001 Edition and when calculating how much to pay for the items that I collect, I take that price and half it to get the maximum amount to pay. Usually I get the stamps for a quarter of the listed value in that edition.

Sorry to barge in on your philatelists' forum, but that quote caught my eye...

The age old problem with catalogues (e.g coins and stamps) are that they are printed and sold by DEALERS who GAINS by high prices and looses by low prices (in their own catalogues)

The result is that buyers are subtracting this and that percentage (see quote above) of an item before bidding/buying it.

The day a NON-DEALER is publishing/selling a catalogue I will stand right in front of the line buying my copy.

Kind regards

Pierre

dstorm

Hello all

Good news to all who still want to buy the 2010 SACC and also to those who have already bought a copy from me through BidorBuy.

Two dealers on BoB are involved in a price war regarding the SACC and I am merrily joining in. I have just placed a new order with the wholesaler today to be assured of enough stock.

At the moment my price (on BidorBuy only – not to my Shop or Stamp Fair clients) is only R425-00 per copy. Should my competitors drop their price any further, I will simply drop mine as well. This is a wonderful game and I would love to see who is going to crack first.

To everybody who already bought from me (once again through BoB only) at R499-00, please contact me and I will issue a credit note to you.

And to Seahorsefanatic – should your offer still stand – please be assured of a sale. I will buy your SACC as a second “working copy” – your price is way below wholesale. Simply list the item on BoB and email the link.

Thanks and regards

Jacques

ATA STAMP CENTRE

I FIND MYSELF COMPELLED TO ADD MY 50c WORTH (SHOULD IT BE R499)-I FIND THE 2008/2009 SACC TO BE QUITE ON PAR WITH S.G.EXCEPT IN SOME INSTANCE EG-GERMAN SWA,SOME EARLY UNION AND SWA OVPT PAIRS AND IST COMMEMORATIVES WHERE WE ARE DOUBLE S.G.I DO NOT THINK AN RADICAL CHANGES WERE NECESSARY IN 2010 EXCEPT FOR THE 70,S AND 80,S PRICES TO BE ADJUSTED DOWN BY PERHAPS 25% ESPECIALLY ON FDC-THE HOMELANDS SHOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN ADJUSTED EXCEPT UPWARDS SLIGHTLY AS THERE WAS LIMITED PRINTS OF MANY ISSUES AND WITH 30 MILLION COLLECTORS WORLDWIDE THE HOMELANDS WILL BE IN DEMAND AT SOME STAGE AND IS AND WILL REMAIN VERY COLLECTIBLE-I WILL STILL LIST AT 2009 CATALOGUE PRICES AND COMPARE WITH S..G WHERE ABLE AS I FEEL THIS IS ETHICAL AND GIVES A FAIRER REFLECTION OF MARKET VALUES AND WAIT UNTIL THE NEXT SACC AND THEN DO AN APPRAISEL OF THAT EDITION-I FEEL THIS IS SENSIBLE AND WILL NOT AFFECT THE MARKET OR STIR UP CONTROVERSY IN ANY WAY-,NEIL

dstorm

Hello Neil

I agree with you 100% on everything that you have said.

While I do not deal a lot in Homelands, I always remind collectors that all the Homelands thematic stamps are relevant to the country of issue. This makes them 100% acceptable for collecting worldwide and also makes them fully acceptable for exhibiting - even on an international level.

Lastly, the technical quality is on par with (if not exceeding) international standards. All the issues were produced from quality artwork (everything HOPEFULLY still housed in the Post Office Archives, the SWA proofs and artwork having been sold on auction).

Just compare the technical quality of the Homelands Thematics to the same period of USA, Canada, etc. No contest.

Regards

Jacques

AngelaBraun

My Motto and aim is to serve the needy without being greedy . Others should try this motto, It is exhilarating and very satisfying.

If it took my listing to initiate a price war, I certainly don’t apologise.

However, two questions should to be asked -

1. Why did it take my reduced price listing to bring the other sellers prices into line?

and

2. If I never listed at my price, would the other sellers still be selling at almost R500?

Competition is good alive and healthy, and everyone benefits from it.

dstorm

There is something called a SUGGESTED RETAIL PRICE.. This is what the wholesaler suggests that the retailer should price a specific item at.

The day you pay your bond or your rent , your water and lights, your car, etc while still making provision for your children’s university education all from your Stamp Money, will I respond to your comment about greed.

There is a tremendous difference between selling on the side and being a full time stamp dealer.

Finally, I have many, many stamp clients on BoB, at the various Stamp Fairs and in my shop. NONE of them are needy – that is why they are able to afford stamps.

I serve the needy by giving direct monthly donations to various deserving entities. It is exhilarating and very satisfying.

Thanks and regards

Jacques

ATA STAMP CENTRE

Hilarious Or Seriiioouus???

Silly old me!!I thought i would be enlightened by some of the keenest philatic minds in S.A. with new views and topics which would be of major interest when i joined the forum-Seems to be a Great place to have terrific bun fights though??Still quite interesting reading !!Cant wait for next episode!!!:P

AngelaBraun

Hello Neil

Lovely to see you on the Forum, but as for the next episode, don't hold your breath! I made my point and will not be drawn into a "he said she said" slinging match sorry to disappoint you though.

dstorm

Come on Neil…give us a break.

It was Friday night (Boksburg is a no-no when it comes to eating out on Friday nights) and I was running low on whisky. So I turned to the Forum for some entertainment.:rolleyes:

To go off topic, all of the best with your Union Bantam Postage Dues on Wednesday night. Definitely not CTO and this is definitely worthy of making enemies by bidding against my trusted BoB stamp collecting clients! Hope Seahorsefanatic reads this.:P

Regards

Jacques

dstorm

Hello Angela

I fully understand your point about a slinging match. I appreciate it.

But I think that it should be said publicly that you also first listed at a higher price and then only later on listed at a lower price.

I do not think that you have made any point.

Good night and regards

Jacques

ATA STAMP CENTRE

Hello Jacque,i thought i would wake you all up a little!!On the subject of the bantams i dont expect more than about 20% of catalogue as previous set showed little interest!!Also on the swa frama labels do you have any info as to why not listed in sacc or s.g.I Know they were in use from 1988 to 2000-Am i correct in syaing they are scarce?Any feed back appreciated,thanks Neil

seahorsefanatic

Hi to Jacques and Neil

My new catalogue has found a home in Pretoria so good luck to the person who uses this one !!! There has been no response from anyone in support of the new SACC let alone the publisher - just deafening silence :P

A price war on this catalogue - thats a joke - no-one will begrudge a dealer a profit on the sale of this so called publication. If the cost is R400 then a profit of R50 to R100 is not exactly going to make you rich. So by selling at R425 you as the dealer who has laid out the funds, only makes R25. Thank heavens Im not a full time dealer - my sympathies Jacques.

Neil - nice to see you on the Forum. Its all good fun and great to see people using it. The debate it generates is great as there will always be someone to help/disagree/agree etc to what is being said. :cool: