Sign in to follow this  
Cali Craft and Gems

Business wanted

Cali Craft and Gems

Hi all

An unusual request...

We as a family are wanting to purchase a business in the Garden Route - preferably anywhere between George and Swellendam.

Any offers or ideas?

Thank you,

CC

mellowred

Hi Cali

We are also thinking of moving to George or Mosselbaai - so if I can hijack your thread - we would like to know what housing opportunities (rentals) are like.

Also generally what the economic situation is like. I know Mosselbaai was expanding at a rapid rate. Has this come to a halt?

We would most likely go back to our shade / carport installation business. Are there many high quality shade companies in either area?

We both like George as a business centre and love Sedgefield as a place to live in.

As for Swellendam, we have spent a lot of time there. Love the place, but it may be a bit small to start up a profitable business. You are also far from the main centers so will experience the same problems we have in Hermanus. Everything has to be brought in "over the mountain" as we say. Obviously this will depend on what you would like to do.

Good luck in your search, if I find anything worthwhile will PM you.

Take care

Mandy

Cali Craft and Gems

Hi Mandy

Yes, the entire area is rather appealing to us and we were supposed to move there as a family by the end of last year. My parents were going to go first, then we were to follow but the plans changed when my Dad suddenly passed away.

Swellendam may be "small" but it is at the junction of the N2 and Route 62 (from Worcester / N1, Montagu, Robertson and Ashton - tourist route). Something about it has appealed to me for a while now.

George on the other hand is my favourite place to be! I'd love property between Blanco and the airport - I'm trying to get away from city life!

I've said that as long as I can get my ADSL line and there is a decent post office nearby, I'll move nearly anywhere! :)

Sedgefield is also a wonderful place, BUT (!) one must keep in mind that when the rains come in abundance, it tends to flow right through your house! The "water" problems are the only reason we do not want to take up residence there.

I guess that I'll settle "where I belong" when the time is right. Hopefully my Dad's estate will be tied up before the end of this year so that we can make our move. Until then, hubby & I are going to spend a few days in the area in May to see what we can find. I believe that when the timing is perfect, everything will fall into place.

Kind regards,

CC

KMartin

Hi everyone.

Some interesting info on the Garden Route.. Would just like to point out though.. Sedgefield is not half as bad as is made out to be on the water front.

We had 2 floods in recent years, I remember well, i lost my car in the last, But since then alot of messures have been made. The River Mouth Stays open and if it should close, they have a permanent vehicle on standby to open it. Currently the only water problem is lack of water.

The "Island" In Sedgefield is the place that do flood if it ever had to again.

Still plenty plenty area's in Sedgefield Safe from water.

As for buiseness for sale.. i will look around for you, is there anything in mind in what line you looking to get into ?

I am not sure how policy works on this but i can PM you details of owners selling buiseness if you want if i'm allowed. ?

Take Care,

lilythepink
Hi everyone.

Some interesting info on the Garden Route.. Currently the only water problem is lack of water.

I thought I saw on TV recently that Sedgefield has had the foresight to install a plant to desalinate sea water and that you'd never be short of water again? Did I misunderstand something?

Well, the lack of water is a problem in the Eastern Cape, too - and you don't want to hear about the "super bugs" that are now infecting our water due to lack of proper care by various Municipal staff - often under-qualified for the job, unfortunately. :mad:

mellowred

We spent a week in Sedgefield last year and loved the place. The fact that you have 3 craft markets a week within easy driving distance is on of the reasons that we like the place.

Kmartin how easy is it to operate in the Mosselbaai to Knysna areas from Sedgefield? We want to do crafts, carports and accounting work. What do you feel about new businesses in those lines?

PM me if you wish so we can discuss further.

Kind regards

Mandy

lilythepink

We lived in Sedgefield from 1974 to 1977 whilst my husband was doing a research project on the Swartvlei for Rhodes University. It was an idyllic life which we will never forget. At that stage the town had no Municipal electricity, water or sewage services and we all managed very well - gas lighting around the walls of the house, a gas stove and iron, paraffin fridge, outside boiler room where a fire was made for hot water, and a little petrol engine which pumped lovely underground water up to a huge tank on the roof of the house. We were extremely happy living a type of nomadic life. I don't think Sedgefield will ever be quite the same again.

I was thinking of starting a secondhand furniture shop, just stocking good, vintage furniture but then we got transferred to Cape Town. Perhaps Cali could consider a business like that if the need is there? I know there are at least 2 places where beads are being sold (at inflated prices!). :)

RISadler

Well, I don't want to be negative, but economically Mosselbaai is in serious problems. Our water supplies are gone due to over-development. Businesses are closing down. Property prices are still higher than the sky, due to people owing millions to the bank and the property only being worth a few hundred thousand.

Some advice... if you do decide to relocate to the Garden Route, then don't buy anything built in the last ten years - you'll just have to rebuild it next year. Stay away from apartments and complexes. Also have the building thoroughly inspected by somebody that you know knows his stuff. And read the fineprint on the contracts and the "home-owners' ass." rules. It is better to walk away now, than to cry later.

Cali Craft and Gems

@ Lily:

I've considered the "bead shop" thingy, but it's too much work for me alone if I'm to continue with BoB trading too. I was thinking along the lines of a back-packer establishment, or affordable accom for the average SA family.

We had our sights on Kingfisher in Wilderness, but with the trains no longer running along that route, the plans changed. The railway line ran through the bottom of the garden which was a lovely sight when it was steam...

Sedgefield does have a fantastic market (PE tried to copy it and failed miserably!) but with the train being off that route due to the flood damage a few years back, tourism has taken a knock.

Swellendam on the other hand is a great junction just off the N2, linking to the N1 via Route 62. As we'll be in the area in early May, we will be looking at all our options closer to the time.

In addition to the accomodation thingy, I'd like to open a rock shop (as we had in PE before mom moved in) with the sideline of my sister-in-law's cheese - she has expanded her range and just can't keep up with the orders.

Everything with time I say... it will happen when it is supposed to!

lilythepink

Hi Cali Craft and Gems - I think a "rock shop" would be ideal along the Garden Route (esp around Sedgefield area) and I'm not as up to date as I think I am but if there isn't a good backpackers around that area, why not start one? Swellendam is also a tremendous option - their Fairy Shop is making fantastic progress and there are many people there who deal in spiritual things.

There used to be a cheese factory at Karatara (just outside Sedgefield) but I think it closed down years ago. There is a cheese shop in the one shopping centre in Sedgefield but I'm not sure that they make their cheese themselves. (They do stock some lovely cheeses!)

By the way, congratulations on expanding your name to Cali Craft and Gems. As you are such an absolute gem, I think it's a most appropriate name! ;)

mellowred

Hi Cali Craft,

You did not mention Hermanus in your places to go, but in case you might be interested, Moby's Backpackers is up for sale.

This is a very old website and the owners changed hands since then. It has closed down so may be going cheap.

Prime spot in the center of town; and always used to be a very popular spot when Jannie and Elmine owned the place.

Cali Craft and Gems

Hi Mellowred

Thank you for the info - I'll pass it on to my mom's friend as we are trying to "get away" from the sea... (don't ask why! LOL)

But the idea / establishment is in the right direction!

@ Lily - thanks! :) Seeing that I deal in gems too, I thought it may be more appropriate so that customers would not see us simply as a "craft" shop... although that was the original intention when we started the business 7 years ago! The "rocks" was an idea that was literally thrown at me! LOL

lilythepink

@ Cali - glad that the idea was "thrown at you" and not the rocks! lol

Cali Craft and Gems

@ Lily - LOL - sometimes you wonder what exactly gets thrown around here...

I guess it could be worse... I've only got my nutty sister-in-law in town for a few days a year (she's leaving again tomorrow) - she introduced me to the crystals.

KMartin

Hi @ll.

There is the new Plat for the sea water, but not sure if would be enough in season. not to mention George and Knysna are having the water problems too.

Accounting / book keeping would work, as for bob sales staying in Sedgefield, there is about a day or two delay compaired to bigger citys. At least Sedgefield is pretty central. 25km knysna to the left 40 km George to the right, 300km pe, 450 km Cape Town.

The main think i like is the low crime rate,

Can't tell you how many times i left my keys in the car or even car door, come back hours later and its all still there.

Trafic... lol, not much here, i even use my bycicle to work, only like 2km either side.

saves on petrol.

Yip, there are alot of Markets, even more now.

Sedgefield Market every Saterday, George market, Karatara Marked and the knysna Market. Not to mention the Knysna night Market aswell.