Sign in to follow this  
RAG Auctioneers

Sellers rating buyers flawed?

RAG Auctioneers    10
RAG Auctioneers

From my little tours around BOB when I am bored, it seems revenge rating is the norm. 90% of buyers who rate the seller negative, get a negative in return, even though it was not deserved.

Would this not be a better system:

Buyers can rate sellers according to their experience. Positive - neutral - negative.

Sellers can only rate positive OR decide not to rate at all.

How do we recognize the non-payers then? A negative can be filed after a SNC has been completed.

At the current ratings system, buyers are scared to rate their bad experiences negative...we all know it. I just saw on one of BOBs articles - If you had a bad experience with a seller, rate him negative....ya right :rolleyes:

Just a thought :D

Little Miss Muffet    20
Little Miss Muffet

The problem here is that buyers sometimes rate negative for petty reasons.

The post office has not sent a slip .I am sure some of those slips get lost in the postmans bag.

The buyer sometimes does not take note of the tracking number then does not collect and blames the seller.

People should use the neutral rating far more in certain cases.

I often see negative ratings for sellers where a parcel has being lying at the post office and just not collected.

When the buyer then receives it he/she should change the rating but either forget or refuse to change it. Then it is unfair especially if the parcel was sent in good time.

I can fully understand why Bob dont want to get involved in ratings--it is impossible to determine who is at fault,if not time consuming and taking sides is out of the question.

People should be encouraged to discuss a problem on the forum and both buyer and seller can give their point of view and perhaps other users can calm the spirits.

A problem shared is a problem halved.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

Wise words, geewhizz. Well said!

RAG Auctioneers    10
RAG Auctioneers

Wise words, but we all know that buyers wont be doing that any time soon :cool:

wayjen    10
wayjen

we have a neutral rating because a buyer went to the post office and they did not have his parcel but a few days later he received it. it was not our fault but the post office. we have not asked him to change the rating.

meeks    10
meeks

I received an e-mail from a buyer yesterday. The parcel was posted on the 11th January, buyer lets me know "no parcel received as yet" BUT she also told me, that she only realised 'now" that there are no street deliveries regarding post where she lives,and wants my details to deposit a re-postage back to her amount,when parcel comes back to me "unclaimed".

On the P.O. website, the parcel registers at her Post Office. I phoned them this morning, (the post office) and yes, parcel is still there, and all buyer has/had to do, was check it out, make a phone call (or take a short drive) and collect. I was put on hold by post office for 12 minutes- a trunk call.

However, I must add, this buyer is a reasonable decent person.and will be collecting her parcel today, after being informed what to do.

Bead Mania Crafts    10
Bead Mania Crafts

Well sometimes you can never win - I mean I have had the pleasure of having a buyer that insists on collection despite my bold upper case "NO COLLECTIONS" - after I emailed "very friendly mind you" he still insisted that he bought from another seller and now why should he pay for shipping when he lives in Durban and this seller lives in Gauteng

He was so angry for having to pay R35 for the shipping - my point is why dont people read - I also have buyers who dont even add in shipping costs and then when we have to remind them about shipping they get annoyed and ask to collect - lets cross fingers that he will be happy enough with the kit since I added more items just to please him in hope of not getting a negative lol - THATS A BIG HOPE I HAVE:D

RAG Auctioneers    10
RAG Auctioneers

Its funny the amount of parcels we got back after the December period. Buyers dont bother to collect when they are on holiday... and now they want refunds for the products? I dont think so.

Thumbs crossed Bead Mania :)

Little Miss Muffet    20
Little Miss Muffet

What a life--Bob politics these ratings.:D Good idea for writing a book--and a humorous one at that.

meeks    10
meeks
What a life--Bob politics these ratings.:D Good idea for writing a book--and a humorous one at that.

Sometimes,(a lot of sometimes) some ratings are humorous indeed, bordering on being hilarious! one can often "picture" the person doing the rating, sitting by their PC and pounding away at the keys, in a state of mind that really is not normal - at the time.

eZethu Coins    10
eZethu Coins

Maybe the whole rating system is flawed, because a seller can be rated negatively unfairly (which is relative) or rated positively out of fear for a negative rating retaliation.

How about a system that does not show the overall %, but only the % over the last (let's say) 6 months - a bit like the drivers license points system. That way a user is "punished" for the "bad" behavior, but "forgiven" once they mend their ways. Probably not the perfect solution, but at least worth 2c

Renaldo

eZethu Coins    10
eZethu Coins

...and another idea from Ag925

Another suggestion from another BoBer - Ag925:

Start quote:

" Ok, thought about the rating problem.

What about the following:?

If one gets a negative rating you could "work it off" or redeem yourself by getting X amount (10 or 20 or 30 or whatever amount) of positive ratings. When that amount (whatever the amount is) is reached one bad one falls off. Otherwise, like you say, one can never recover. Maybe this way will create a better buyer and seller but one can still see the overall picture of the person?

Just my 2 1/2cents worth.(flypress obviously)

Regards

Kevin"

End Quote

Little Miss Muffet    20
Little Miss Muffet
Another suggestion from another BoBer - Ag925:

Start quote:

" Ok, thought about the rating problem.

What about the following:?

If one gets a negative rating you could "work it off" or redeem yourself by getting X amount (10 or 20 or 30 or whatever amount) of positive ratings. When that amount (whatever the amount is) is reached one bad one falls off. Otherwise, like you say, one can never recover. Maybe this way will create a better buyer and seller but one can still see the overall picture of the person?

Just my 2 1/2cents worth.(flypress obviously)

Regards

Kevin"

If the rating isn't fair why would anyone want to work it off.

There is no solution to the rating system.

I think if a buyer receives what they pay for and give a neg rating for whatever reason they should rather leave a neutral.

My policy is if I am taking someones money then I must give them what they paid for.

I will, to the best of my ability, not misrepresent a product and most sellers ( I hope wont either) so if there is post office delay or whatever does a person deserve a neg rating.

When any of us get a negative rating we as humans tend to react with indignation and actually get the buyers back up even more. I am guilty of this too.

A buyer should never communicate through a neutral or negative rating unless they have first tried an email or telephone call to find out what is going on.

I find the majority do but then one just gets those people--guess they worry about losing miney or dont get an immediate response from the seller.

I guess ratings are a necessary evil that go with the territory. Bob politics :D

End Quote

End quote End quote

eZethu Coins    10
eZethu Coins

So the challenge is to find a way whereby sellers are not left to the wolves (unreasonable buyers). If BoB wants to remain neutral on this issue (and I can fully understand why), then maybe we can come up with possible solutions to at least make it better - at the moment the sentence is "for life" - I would settle for "early release" for good behavior.

Would this be fair? Hell no, but it would certainly be a better solution - I believe.

Rare NotesCoins    10
Rare NotesCoins

Maybe when Bad people gives neg ratings and are Blacklisted after that Bob can change or remove their negatives to be fair as their will be no comm once they are blacklisted.

eZethu Coins    10
eZethu Coins

I'll vote for that, Morne.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink
Maybe when Bad people gives neg ratings and are Blacklisted after that Bob can change or remove their negatives to be fair as their will be no comm once they are blacklisted.

An excellent suggestion!!

Vinyl Lady Decals    10
Vinyl Lady Decals

A brilliant suggestion. I definitely second that.

TS Ron    10
TS Ron

This has been going on for a long time it seems as if it is an eye for an eye or an tooth for an tooth no one is prepared to turn to the other cheek at all. And buying on BOB is a nightmare you do not see the person you buying from.. Let me just tell you about a fantastic client I completely mislaid the registered slip when I sent her parcel registered post.. It was the first time in my entire life that something like this happened to me and I explained to the client that I lost the slip that if she did not get the parcel I was prepared to resend it again.. I must say that she did obviously have her doubts but waited patiently for a period of time for the parcel to arrive I en quired from her if she received and she gave us a very nice positive rating... If I think some one could of got a bit heated under the collar and immediately gave me a negative rating I would just of had to accept it So there are some very nice buyers out there on bob I salute you......

eZethu Coins    10
eZethu Coins

There are many great BoBers that make BoB a great experience - make no mistake. I have made some excellent friends and have dealt with excellent people. Hence I'm still here - but it takes one silly billy to make it sour.

Little Miss Muffet    20
Little Miss Muffet

If someone gives me a negative rating for no reason I will gather all the evidence and

take them to the cleaners. Finish and kla:rolleyes:

psavv    10
psavv

I think you are missing the original posters point here. And I agree with that 100%. Instead of replying you have started what should be a new thread on bad buyers.

I don't agree with you all (the sellers that is) that try to justify there revenge ratingsw on buyers when they feel hurt. Tough...... If a buyer has paid on time and has fulfilled his side, he/she is entitled to a positive rating.

There are selleres on BoB who don't rate there buyers and then quite happily apply these revenge ratings. I also think that Bob condones this because some of these sellers are so big that BoB would lose too much in fees.

I still feel that sellers who give revenge ratings should be penalised (where they can be shown to be revenge ratings) and mostly this is not hard to do.

As for when a buyer "unfairly" rates a seller badly. I think the seller must NOT respond in kind but leave his initial rating as is.

RAG Auctioneers    10
RAG Auctioneers

Thanks psavv, agree 100%.

The ONLY time we rate a buyer negative is when they do not pay.

We have never revenge rated.

Is it not unfair on us that other sellers are revenge rating left right and center?

If they revenge rate, should I be doing the same?

I suppose it would be too much admin on BOBs side to enforce.

That is why I came up with the initial idea on my first post.

Little Miss Muffet    20
Little Miss Muffet

I would not revenge rate a buyer but would first email or phone to sort out the problem.

Buyers in fact should try and email or phone to sort out a problem first.

I say "Dont talk to someone through a neutral or negative rating"

If I have posted an item and there is a post office delay or the post office does not send out a slip or for whatever reason there is a delay in receiving the item and the seller is blamed--that is not on.

I mean if someone pays today and I send the item tomorrow with a tracking number and I get a negative rating for non-delivery then my overall experiance with the buyer is negative whether I have rated the person or not.

If I am at fault that is a differant issue altogether. People can be stubborn and not listen to reason just because they are angry.

As I have said before ratings are an necessary evil. Bob politics:D

Vinyl Lady Decals    10
Vinyl Lady Decals

While I agree that revenge ratings are not acceptable, I do not agree that because a buyer paid on time, he/she is automatically entitled to a positive rating.

It has been my experience and I'm sure more than a few sellers have also experienced what we thought was a perfect sale, only to later on get abusive and insulting communications from some buyers (luckily, not the majority), despite having given clear instructions regarding tracking and collection of parcels.

I have been abused and sworn at via phone calls, emails and sms's and all because of poor communication from the buyer who usually hasn't bothered to track the parcel despite being given all the relevant information to do so.

As the rating reminder email from BoB states, your rating should reflect your overall experience of the transaction. That extends to poor behaviour as well.

Some sellers do revenge rate which is incorrect, but it must be taken into consideration that a changed rating is not always due to revenge rating or hurt feelings, but rather changed behaviour from the buyer.

I always rate my buyers once the item has been despatched as I use this to help keep track of which orders are still outstanding.

I'm sure all sellers and buyers would love smooth transactions all the time, but, unfortunately, this just doesn't happen.

There are just as many buyers who also use revenge rating, so they are not innocent either.

I was even told in an email by one buyer that he will do as he pleases as ratings are more important for sellers than for buyers.

I don't agree with you all (the sellers that is) that try to justify there revenge ratingsw on buyers when they feel hurt. Tough...... If a buyer has paid on time and has fulfilled his side, he/she is entitled to a positive rating.

As for when a buyer "unfairly" rates a seller badly. I think the seller must NOT respond in kind but leave his initial rating as is.