Sign in to follow this  
Whattie

any help appreciated

Whattie

hi there, i was wondering if there would be anyone out there willing to help me with my stamp collection, i know next to nothing about stamps, so any help is appreciated.

i received a collection of stamps from my Grandmother who's been collecting since she was little, her sister then worked in a post office during the war, and got stamps from all over the world, i have, German, to Jamaican, stamps from about 1926 - to about 2000. most of them are in relatively good condition, and have been handled very little. i love looking at them, but i think someone collecting would get far more joy out of them than i do, so I've decided to start researching and trying to sell them.

is there a web site where i can send images for evaluation, or trustworthy people i can get hold of through email?

I've tried a few guys to try value my stamps and one of them was really dodge, i'm sure he nicked a few of them, he told me i had nothing of value but he'd buy them off me for R50 so i told him its fine i'll hang on. not really keen on going to meet someone who might try get my stamps for a bargain.

once again any help is greatly appreciated!

http://i883.photobucket.com/albums/ac34/inyoni/scan0008.jpg

lilythepink

Oh dear, Whattie. I am in a similar predicament! No idea at all about the value of stamps these days and don't have the time to sit and work with an updated catalogue. I know I have some good stamps amongst the seeming thousands, but which ones they are ...?

alloway65

Good Morning,

Go to the Stanley Gibbons UK web site, "my collection" I think is the tab you need, enter the country and year if you know it and do a search until you find the set you are interested in. The values given should be at least halved, this will give you an idea of stamp value.

The site is free.

Hope this helps.

David:)

Whattie

thanks alloway65! i'll head over there now :)

lilythepink

Thanks from me, too, alloway65. As soon as my Hellkom adsl service "allows" me to download pages without a 5-minute break in between each one, I'll also have a look at the site. Many blessings for your help.

alloway65

Hi Guys,

Glad to be of help. Internet is slow these days.

Have a good weekend.

David ;)