Sign in to follow this  
lilythepink

The blooming Telkom router...

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

Once again I am having dismal service from Hellkom! I can play a game of solitaire between page down/uploads! Very, very frustrating! Are others on the Telkom adsl service having such delays...:mad: This is the 4th time in a week! :mad:

Digitrade    10
Digitrade

Hi Lily,

I pay Telkom a monthly rental fee for the adsl line, but have @lantic as my ISP ( Internet Service Provider ). I get excellent service from @lantic, and if anything goes wrong, their technicians assists very quickly.

I once had my router reset to its factory settings by a Telkom employee, without anybody knowing what happened. @lantic sorted the problem within minutes.

ISP contracters have different options available on contracts, and you can upgrade your internet cap whenever it is finished. They will also advise you what hardware you can use to make your downloads quicker.

wayjen    10
wayjen

sorry to hear lilythepink.

never had problems here as far as i can remember.

Digitrade    10
Digitrade

You seem like someone that uses the internet regularly. Try and do a disk clean-up and defragment on your system. Your computer saves every website that you open to a temporary file folder, and this can slow your system down. You have to do this regularly.

You can also try to switch your router off and then on again. Give all your little green lights a chance to come on again. Restart your computer after that.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

Our contract with Hellkom expires in August! Guess who won't be renewing! Thanks for the info, Digitrade! :)

Yes, it is ages since I did a defragment! So will do it. But the problem is intermittent. Service was fine this afternoon.

wayjen    10
wayjen

I just remembered something. we had problems with our internet connection and i would have to reset my ethernet hub thingy and sometimes my router until i found it was the wiring/cables coming out the ethernet box and they were making bad connections. After moving them out of the way we have never had that problem again.

JPBon    10
JPBon

Ask Johan at Bob he seems to lose connection when he does a seminar.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

I have defragmented and thought the battle was over. It's definitely the Telkom service - again they tell me the 'station' is being worked on. At the rate they are going, I suspect they are working on the railway station!! lol

I think I shall now retire until the morning! Before I throw something ..!!

JPBon    10
JPBon
I have defragmented and thought the battle was over. It's definitely the Telkom service - again they tell me the 'station' is being worked on. At the rate they are going, I suspect they are working on the railway station!! lol

I think I shall now retire until the morning! Before I throw something at WayJen ..!!

Duck Wayjen Duck

wayjen    10
wayjen

*ducks under desk*

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

No, no. I would NEVER throw anything at Wayne (I promise!) or any of my pals on the Forum. But I nearly did throw the computer out the door last night, with Telkom's router destined for the rubbish bin! LOL

wayjen    10
wayjen

aah! shucks!! ain't she just the sweetest thing??????

Vinyl Lady Decals    10
Vinyl Lady Decals

That's why we love her so much and missed her so much when she was banned for a bit:D:D

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

Thanks Tanaka and Wayjen! I love you guys too. Am still having intermittent problems with Hellkom's router (note it's called a "Billion 800" decoder! Billion se foot!) And I still think that Telkom are working on the railway station, rather than the station which sends our router signals!) I note that I don't have quite such long delays getting onto our bank site and other local sites, but Bid or Buy seems particularly slow. Oh dear.

wayjen    10
wayjen

mine is a Billion 5200 series and working fine and i am also on hellkom. just make sure they credit you for down time.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

All of a sudden everything is in perfect working order - now do you think hellkom read this Forum?? When I got the Billion 800 almost two years ago, it was the only model available. But I am seriously thinking of changing my SP in August when my contract with hellkom comes to an end.

wayjen    10
wayjen

what i cannot understand is why do people always pick on telkom. ok i understand you are having problems but when you read the stories of other SP they are worse then telkom.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

Wayne, I haven't heard anyone complain about the other SP's. But I do hear other folk in our area complain about hellkom. Possibly their service to our area isn't as good as in your area? It beats me why we're having problems in the past 10 days. Wasn't too bad before that.

JPBon    10
JPBon

Maybe we can get your Router Blacklisted or disabled;)

wayjen    10
wayjen
Wayne, I haven't heard anyone complain about the other SP's. But I do hear other folk in our area complain about hellkom. Possibly their service to our area isn't as good as in your area? It beats me why we're having problems in the past 10 days. Wasn't too bad before that.

you know where to go for stories on other SP ;) but if telkom is having issues in your area then what are the chances of other ISPs doing any better.

admin    0
admin

If I am not mistaken, at this stage Hellkom is the only supplier of DSL by landline. You have to keep in mind that even if you do not get your DSL from Hellkom yourself, like me through MWEB, they still get the DSL line through Hellkom. The only difference is that you do not have to deal with Hellkom yourself when there is a fault with your DSL line, they do it on your behalf.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

Thanks for the info, Wayne and Andries. Let's see what mood I'm in come August ...!!

wayjen    10
wayjen

so if it's the line you would most likely have the same problem no matter who you use but if it's a router or something then you need to replace it. what has telkom said about the break in transmission?