Sign in to follow this  
Ivan Erasmus

Seller - tanzanites

kyle2

In my honest opinion, the only reason she utilises her discreet bidder function is to prevent anyone from warning bidders who are taking part in her auctions, about her unscrupulous dealings with the public. I certainley would have like to have given several bidders a heads up un her 1bid = 3 stones auctions, to make sure they insist on getting what they are bidding on and THAT IS 9 STONES!!!!! NOT 3, sorry for shouting, I did that for the benefit of the dodgy lady from white river. Please look into this Qball.

qball

We can see how there could be confusion on this, so we will be discussing these listings with the seller so they can avoid any confusion.

I think the confusion comes in, where the quantity is 3 of 3. It should only be 1 in the Qty field.

Kind regards

Cuan

qball
We can see how there could be confusion on this, so we will be discussing these listings with the seller so they can avoid any confusion.

I think the confusion comes in, where the quantity is 3 of 3. It should only be 1 in the Qty field.

Kind regards

Cuan

Update, we have spoken to the seller and they will be changing the listings to reflect the quantity as 1 in the Quantity field.

MsPlod

Ratings: supply and reply

In my honest opinion, the only reason she utilises her discreet bidder function is to prevent anyone from warning bidders who are taking part in her auctions, about her unscrupulous dealings with the public. I certainley would have like to have given several bidders a heads up un her 1bid = 3 stones auctions, to make sure they insist on getting what they are bidding on and THAT IS 9 STONES!!!!! NOT 3, sorry for shouting, I did that for the benefit of the dodgy lady from white river. Please look into this Qball.

No need to worry about that unless the sale was cancelled (SNC) - you should be able to rate her and respond to her rating of you too. Folks simply won't know who you are - that is all.:confused:

kyle2

Thanks Cuan!

I know I'm not crazy, what you see is what you get, that is how it should be, she is aware that there is a problem with her listing, I think it is intentional, as she did not fix it when I confronted her about it though the resolution process on BOB.

My argument is that I highlighted that there was a problem to her, and she hasn't bothered to fix it to date, which implies that it is a honey trap of her own making that works well for her, so why should she change it.

I bought stuff in good faith and was stomped on for the effort. I chose not to leave negative feedback, as I would at this stage prefer not to have any negatives as I am new to BOB and it may hamper my ability to transact if she posts a Revenge negative in reply, which she is prone to doing!

Here is a clip from the mails that went back and forth:

Sent: 28 June 2010 03:10 PM

To: chantal@?????????????.co.za(name ommited here)

Subject: Auction : 22933712 Hi Chantal,

You should by now have received confirmation of payment.

I have been reading some of your feedback, a bit concerned about some of the negatives, please supply me with what was listed on the auction. If you do not have what you have listed on the auction please let me know. I cannot use any broken or damaged(cracked or chipped) gems, as these items we purchased are to be used as raffle items for my lodge. We use the funds raised for various charities we support.

Your understanding will be greatly appreciated.

Subject: RE: Auction : 22933712

hi Kyle,

i understand your concern and will see that you receive what you have bid for, i will email your tracking no shortly, kind reg Chantal

(LOL!)

<>

Hi Chantal

The tanzanite's finally arrived yesterday, thank you for that.

I am a little confused though, I bid on this item with a quantity of 3.

Therefore as you clearly stated on the bidding page, 1 bid equals 3 stones, and if I had 3 bids, then there should be 3 X 3stones? Is this not correct?

I certainly paid for 3 bids. The winning bid was R61.00 and I paid R248.00 for 3 incl. postage.

I have attached the relevant page with the points mentioned circled.

Please get back to me on this, I am happy to resolve this in an amicable way.

Regards,

Hi Kyle, you won 3 you were also sent 3, we have a double checking packing system Kind regards chantal

-----Original Message-----

kyle2

Thanks Cuan, It really seems that this forum might be working, certainly works better than dealing with the resolution process on BOB, pity I lost out though and especially for all the other suckers out there that have fallen prey to this woman, would have liked to return the crappy stones and got my money back, but as she politely points out that the return period has expired. I think that the loss was worth it if I have proved a point or got her do the right thing in some small way using this forum.

It remains to be seen that she will keep her word to you and change her listings to reflect the truth.

I will certainly be watching!

Thanks again Qball!

PS. I'll bet you can't get her to take actual pictures of the stones that she is selling and stop using the generic photo's she has on file!

One should be able to see what is actually up for sale and not a vague representation of what it 'could be'. False advertising isn't it?

The stones that arrived looked more like flattened ovals than the near round stones advertised. I would'nt have bid on those if I saw a picture of them!

qball

As long as we can get these issues sorted out. This thread has already proven to be helpful in changing many of the criticisms levelled against the seller, and she is making an effort to resolve these issues.

Kind regards

Cuan

kyle2

If you can get her to list items with actual pictures and not generic photo's of similar items then I feel that the case is closed as far as I'm concerned any way, there should be a rule against false advertising especially with something of this nature, like I said in th my previous posting, I would not have bought the stones that did if fact arrived, they looked nothing like the picture.

Thanks for all your assistance with this Cuan!

qball

My pleasure. Unfortunately with pictures on the site, these should never be used to determine quality or colour of a stone, due to poor lighting and other photographic effects (image resolutions, pixelation etc.). The description is vital, if the stones are checked by a gemologist and differ from what was advertised, we can then take further steps. We also understand why some sellers, who sell large quantities of items use standard stock photo's. Taking professional pics of hundreds or thousands of very small gemstones is simply not practical for many sellers, thus they will use stock photo's for many of their items. As long as the description is accurate that is the most important thing.

Kind regards

Cuan

Vinyl Lady Decals

Hi Cuan

Would generic photos used not become a problem with the new Consumer Protection Act?

Especially if as in this case, the items received are not similar to the photos.

As I understand the new Act, the seller would be forced to refund the buyer including postage and accept the goods back at own postage costs, regardless of expired guarantees, warrantees, etc.

kyle2

I like your point of view Tananka, I share the sentiment, but I fear that this woman from white river does not give a damn about anything to do with fair play and rules. However it seems that she corrected one of her auction pages yesterday, so we'll see.

mellowred

It would be very unfortunate if all the honest sellers were forced to photograph each and every stone. That would be time consuming and in the end just not worth the effort.

This is a good example of where "being fair" is not always fair. The rules should allow for exceptions. If a seller cannot list accurately perhaps that seller should be forced to photograph individual stones(?)

I'm sorry for the buyers who have been caught, but I still have a strong opinion on this subject - check the ratings - buy at your own peril.

alloway65

My understanding of the BoB Gemstone Listing Guidelines....is that if stock photos are used this fact should be clearly stated!:rolleyes:

Lukeness

Sometimes sellers will buy a single parcel of 500 almost matching small stones and in cases like this I can quite understand the use of stock photos from an practical standpoint. However, I agree with alloway65 that if a stock photo is used it should clearly be stated. This applies whether or not you are using the guidelines. If there is an obvious difference between the picture and the actual stone, this should also be clearly stated.

Cali Craft and Gems

Don't mention taking photographs - why do you think I have a delay in getting about 45kg of gems and crystals listed?

But I do agree that if a stock image is to be used, then it should be mentioned in the listing.

With all of my listings (gem & jewellery related), I insert the note "photo is of actual item available" where this is applicable. Honestly I can't remember the last time I was forced to use a stock image!

Sometimes my photography is less than savoury (late nights), so then I insert a message of what is "wrong" in the image so the buyer can know upfront that the image may differ slightly from the gem being sold - by example, I took a photos of a whole batch of bi-coloured gems only to discover in the end that the gems had "smudges" on them! I still listed them anyway, but just apologised for not polishing the gems beforehand.

MsPlod

The emphasis should be...

On both words CLEARLY and STATED

Just an example...

Tanzanites - EYE CLEAN (VVS) 1.04CTS (8) TANZANITES .17CTS EACH for sale in White River (ID:23975649)

Unless I am blind - nowhere on the advert does it state that the photo is a stock photo... :mad:

One of the latest ratings for this same seller...

LARGE (VS) EYE CLEAN .65CTS STUNNING TANZANITE!! 08 Aug 2010

This is a disgusting stone. not a Large (VS) eye clean, my gosh I can see to huge inclusions. I want the stone I bid on. What is the process to return - by

Clearly - these stock photos and even the written descriptions do not appear to match the item supplied:confused:

Thought that the whole idea of using a stock photo was to show the potential buyer the general condition and state of the gem. :rolleyes:

kyle2

You know, I don't see what the problem is, it obviously take a bit of time to set up an auction page, an extra couple of minutes to take a snap on a digital camera or phone cannot be considered an unreasonable practice, it gives the buyer the confidence he/she needs to continue with the bidding process and the buyer knows EXACTLY what they are getting.

I understand that sometimes the colour may be different to the actual item, this is sometimes unavoidable, if there is a difference, State It, as a buyer I would find this acceptable. At the very least I would know that the thing I see is a square something and thats what I want, not the stupid oval thing that arrives in the post. I have generalised here but made the point I hope.

The size, weight and clarity should also be accurately stated.

Stock photo's should be BANNED! :mad:

What you see is what you should get, that should be the beginning and end of it. This would elevate the standard of proffesionalism on BoB and discourage unscrupulous and unethical people from selling crap to the BoB community.

Sorry for the tone of the posting but seriously guys (Qball) please look into this, it is in the interest of all concerned, buyer and seller both and ultimately BoB, as more buyers will have better confidence in what they are getting and probably buy more.

kyle2

I see our favourite tricky tanzanite white river lady tried to sneak another 1bid = 3stone auctions in there, or forgot to take it off, there are no bids yet for this item.

Tanzanites - 3 x SLIGHTLY INCLUDED (S1) .25CTS TANZANITE for sale in White River (ID:23753782)

Nearly all of her items are utilizing stock photo's and these are repeated several times on her auction site. Shameful practice, and as MsPlod says there are many that do not disclose the use of stock photo's.

32 Negs in the past month. WoW she must be The worst seller on BoB!

370 no sorry, 371 to date (a new one just popped up)

qball

Whilst you do raise some valid points, "bashing" a seller is not what the forum is about. We will be taking up these issues with the seller, however, we will not be making any decisions on banning stock photo's. The gemstone guide is a guide and not a rule bidorbuy enforces. Any disputes need to be resolved directly with the seller. If you are unhappy with the items received please refer to the seller's refund policy and if need be, get gemmological reports to substantiate the claims made on the forum or in ratings.

Determining the quailty or correct colour from an image on the internet is not guaranteed that it will be exactly the same in real life, due to many factors, most of which are outside of the seller's control. That is why the description needs to be accurate and correct, so if there are any discrepancies these can be cerified after being sent to a gemmologist for review.

Thank you all for you contributions to this thread.

Kind regards

Cuan

I think this thread has come to an end.