Sign in to follow this  
Ivan Erasmus

Seller - tanzanites

lilythepink

Just tell communitywatch@bidorbuy.co.za about her. The more report-backs that they get, the quicker we hope action will be taken! Good luck.

MsPlod

triekiesliekie tanzanites

Once bought 2 small tanzanites from her. I'm no gem expert, but the scratches were horrific and don't get me started on the colour. i just thought that @1 each plus R40 postage, it was not worth it entering into a rating war. I'm still amazed that she is still trading in sub-par stones and advertising them as top quality ones. Is there an action that can be taken or is this a matter that needs to be reported to the police and resolved there?

swsnbn's classic strategy with this one is:

What do you expect for R1?... (almost an exact quote - couldn't be bothered to go and look at the ratings again. Ugggh!)

Meanwhile - ALL other sellers I have thus far experienced on BoB (from whom I have had the good fortune to win something valuable for a measly R1) have honoured their advertisements - and good name - and provided the value advertised. Even with really good spirit.

We go back again and again to these good sellers don't we? The tricky slicky predators get very few repeat clients.

Please follow LilythePink's good advice and report it - even just a few lines - to BoB. They will have all your purchase records, so not much really needs to be explained.

qball

Hi All

Please remember if you do report the seller, you must have supporting documentation to substantiate your case. A gemological report will be required of the stones purchased, this must be obtained from a reputable gem lab or gemologist. Jewellers reports or appraisals will not be accepted.

This thread will be moved to the Gemstones category.

Thank you

Cuan

MsPlod

Many thanks for the info Cuan - as well as for moving the thread to the correct place.

I surmise this (the gem appraisal) is one of the reasons for swsnbn being as successful as she is in reducing comeback for poor quality. Trying to get a gem to a gemmologist and getting them to report back within 48 hours of receiving a parcel from the PO is quite a feat. Also particularly disheartening if you suspect that the gem - which is supposedly worth R1000+ retail (according to the auction advert) - is probably only worth about R5 or R50 - and the gemologist report will cost a minimum of around R100??

Hmmmmm....

Maybe BoB could recommend that she:

1) Have a 7-day return policy instead of 48 hours

2) Be prepared to honour returns for any gem under a bid value of R100 (within the 7 day return period) on condition that the buyer returns everything intact?

Lukeness

Perhaps if there is a case where you would like to send the gem to a lab you could contact Bid or Buy and make arrangements with them so that an extension could be given pending the results.

MsPlod

extension for tanzanite appraisals

Perhaps if there is a case where you would like to send the gem to a lab you could contact Bid or Buy and make arrangements with them so that an extension could be given pending the results.

That is an EXCELLENT (sorry to shout - got excited there) suggestion!

Make that number 3 on the list...:)

MsPlod

New strategy...

There is a new strategy afoot here...

Using a Discreet listing !!

Hmmm - I get that for some of the gem sellers who are truly selling valuable large and properly valued gems but for this seller of tanzanites - I am not so sure:confused:

Tanzanites - VVS .78CTS TANZANITES - VALUE R14'000.00 COMBINED IF BID ON ALL 6 .17CTS EACH for sale in White River

The only thing I can think of is that the ratings are less likely to be an issue?

mellowred

I don't know. The ratings will still show ... we just won't know who they are from.

The bad ratings are still piling up! Boggles my brain :confused:

MsPlod

Nameless sales of tanzanites...

I don't know. The ratings will still show ... we just won't know who they are from.

The bad ratings are still piling up! Boggles my brain :confused:

Oh, OK, so ratings do show from a discreet sale? That's good!;)

Will keep an eye out - the ratings are indeed piling up though - wish more buyers would join - or at least look at the forum to understand how these things work!:)

MsPlod

Gemstone selling guidelines

Just been reading through these selling guidelines...

Help - Gemstone Selling Guide

Must say that I wish I had been completely familiar with a whole lot of these things from the start. Would have helped a great deal.:eek:

Strongly recommend any new BoBber or potential "newbie" or inexperienced gem buyer has a look through this (as well as all the other gemstone threads on BoB to understand the implications of bidding for (and buying) gems - especially if they are concerned that a trader is potentially misrepresenting their gems (such as tanzanites - for example). Been immensely helpful. Thanks!!:D

MsPlod

Key points

Excellent summary of the Consumer Act! Thanks for the pointer...

Found a few points of great interest.

These:

Product guarantees will be strictly enforced.

When a consumer buys goods on basis of a description, the goods delivered must correspond to what an ordinary alert consumer would be entitled to expect. (Note to bidorbuy sellers: truthful description (as well as image) is a must!)

Goods to be delivered remain at the supplier’s risk until actually delivered. (Note to bidorbuy sellers: pack well and insure parcels!)

The fact that the majority of gem sellers are already working with an ethic equal to, or better than, described here - is commendable and should lead to very little disruption of normal trading in the gemstones section. BUT those few traders who are taking liberties are going to take a pounding!;)

lilythepink
Excellent summary of the Consumer Act! ... BUT those few traders who are taking liberties are going to take a pounding!;)

Use your baton, MsPlod. Use your baton!! Hit them over the head and wherever it hurts the most! lol

MsPlod

Kharma

Use your baton, MsPlod. Use your baton!! Hit them over the head and wherever it hurts the most! lol

I rather suspect that those traders - in this instance gem traders - who are taking liberties with their item/auction descriptions as well as not supplying the real deal item (as described), etc. are going to hit themselves over the head hard - all on their own. (As well as - shoot themselves in the foot, kneecaps, etc. etc.).:rolleyes:

My father's (MrPlod is my dad:p) baton can stay safely in the closet where it belongs;)

lilythepink

Okay, Ms Plod. Let's just say they're digging their hole deeper and deeper ....! ;)

tony a

tanzanite rip off

:mad: This a copy of email sent to person concerned plus to BOB.

Good Morning, I received the parcel a few minutes ago, Totally disappointed. I noticed you did not include the value appraisal you state,

“LARGE .65CTS TANZANITE!! R6,400.00 VALUE APPRAISAL SUPPLIED. Auction ”

“LARGE VS1 .50CTS TANZANITE!! R5,700.00 VALUE APPRAISAL SUPPLIED ”

I also notice in small writing you state you don’t supply appraisals this is misleading and constitutes basic unethical and shows no integrity in these circumstances.

“WE DO NOT ACCEPT CHEQUES. Due to popular demand NO appraisals are supplied as stated on the auction, indicative prices are only as stated = indicative and we do not guarantee the values at any given time.

I notice that your auctions have included this before and after many people have raised this with you, look at the community forum and your negative ratings. It would be so easy for you to remove from the heading.”

Here is a sample of your auction “bidorbuy ID put in 11 May 2010 closing 12 May 2010

“3 X .27CTS OVAL TANZANITE- VALUE R1'960.00- APPRAISAL SUPPLIED” complete with the small print

“Small parcel R45, delivery takes 5 working days from when it is shipped on average . R10.00 combining fee per auction is charged, a maximum of 5 auctions per parcel. EFT no charge, cash deposits add 5%, WE DO NOT ACCEPT CHEQUES. Due to popular demand NO appraisals are supplied as stated on the auction, indicative prices are only as stated = indicative and we do not guarantee the values at any given time. ANY BIDDERS WHO DO NOT PAY FOR AN ITEM WON WILL BE BLOCKED FOR ANY FUTURE BIDDING EVEN IF YOU WIN AN AUCTION YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO COMPLETE YOUR PURCHASE ON ALL OUR ITEMS AND A NEGATIVE SNC FILED AGAINST YOU”

On Receipt of the 2 stones they are nothing like the description or the photograph , even though you gave them the same description.

As the 2 stones are nowhere near the colour stated and they are not even close to each other ( I was planning to use them in one piece of jewelery ) they are of no use to me.

I now want to return them and realize you have a 2 day policy , and you don’t even give an address where it can be returned. Only an email which will probably put me out on the deadline of 2 days. In all my dealings on BOB , you have to be one of the most deceitfull and unethical sellers there is . How BOB continues to let you operate like this is beyond me, as I see from the community forum that other people have raised this with BOB. Maybe they find the commission on your account too much to lose. Let’s see if you send me an address where to send these stones (as they are certainly not the gems you advertised. )

Regarding your 20 % restocking fee , I believe its another one of your ploys to stop comebacks .

Received these stones from post office this morning at 12th May 12, 2010 at 9 am.

I Trust that you won't now change my positve rating you gave me to negative.

MsPlod

Deeper and deeper AND DEEPER...

Okay, Ms Plod. Let's just say they're digging their hole deeper and deeper ....! ;)

@ LilythePink - I'd say that the last post by "tony a" just helped to push that hole a few feet deeper?;)

@ "tony a" - well compiled and written email!! Thank you for contributing to improving the experience for ethical buyers AND ethical sellers (most of the sellers are) on BoB.

Really sorry that you aren't able to use the stones for their intended purpose but keep looking in the gemstone section, there are some truly excellent traders whose gems are spectacular and often better in real life than on your computer screen, AND, if they say the gems are a matching pair, then they are.

Use the ratings of each seller to guide you - you will soon pick up that most of the gem traders are super, and genuinely try their hardest to abide by the gem traders "code" or guidelines... mentioned in this thread before but for ease of access...

Help - Gemstone Selling Guide

Don't let this one experience sway you from trying the wares of the other gem traders (I am probably allowed to write this since I am a buyer only:D)

mellowred

A rose (?) by any other name ... :P

Cali Craft and Gems

Will still stink the same!

:D

windrider

I thought that sellers weren't allowed to have a second account? Gem Search, Tanzanites and now this one?

I received three stones from this seller. Only one(the more expensive one) looked like the picture. Of course, it was claimed that it was nearly flawless and all that, but on the picture you could clearly see it wasn't. Fortunately, it the picture and the stone matched. My next buy of two stones was a typical "White River transaction", advertised as good quality beautiful colour stones and I received 2 very included very pale purple stones. After that, I refused to buy any more stones from the seller.

Since the last transaction was only R42, I decided not to make any noise, since doing the proof would include having the gemstones evaluated (which was far more expensive than the whole transaction). It is a shame that new buyers still fall prey to this.

moppies

It is not a second account - she just changed her username!

windrider

Aah, I see. This makes more sense, but changing the username won't change the service or the lousy quality

lilythepink

I wouldn't insult a rose! A STINKBLAAR by any other name ....! ;)