Sign in to follow this  
jaydon01

Charge for each additional item...????

Lukeness

I find that from my experience there is a direct correlation between combined shipping and quality.

Sellers who supply high quality goods do not need to rely on inflated shipping fees to make their money. If they shipping is high or there are big extra costs for combining (unless there are clear reasons such as weight or risk of breakage) I know that I can almost always expect an inferior product.

alloway65

Hi Luke,

I tend to agree with you!

However I have bought a few dozen watches on BoB for promotional gifts and have been very happy with their quality and value for money even when allowing for the excessive shipping costs. :D

Also I did buy a few tools from another seller...absolute rubbish!:mad:

David

Lukeness

Hi David,

Agreed. Sometimes the price is really good so it can compensate for the shipping and if you don't expect quality for a few rand you won't be disappointed. But I've also bought quite a few things that didn't work or broke/stopped working within a day or two.

There are also some sellers who appear to just list stock from the Crazy Store and are only really profiting from their shipping (although sometimes you have to laugh at prices paid too).

Luke

jaydon01

We agreed to cancel the sale. He even said that he will not file a SNC and he gave me positive ratings :-)

Tazer Angel

Combining items

As a matter of interest, I won 2 items from the same seller. The postage descriptions is as follows:

Please add R35.00 for Econopost per item, you CAN NOT COMBINE ORDERS FOR SENDING

Does this mean that he has to ship each item separately?

It will be interesting to see how the items arrive.

JPBon

Hi Tazer I would say yes then the items should be posted seperately if they come together then report it to bid or buy as he is profiteering from the shipping.

admin
As a matter of interest, I won 2 items from the same seller. The postage descriptions is as follows:

Please add R35.00 for Econopost per item, you CAN NOT COMBINE ORDERS FOR SENDING

Does this mean that he has to ship each item separately?

It will be interesting to see how the items arrive.

Hi Tazer Angel,

Link to the item please.

Did you win both items in one auction or two different auctions ?

Tazer Angel

Hi Admin

I won them on the same auction. The link is

Handbags & Bags - Ladies Handbag.ORGANIZER.REMOVABLE.WOMENS HAND BAGS for sale in Cape Town

He actually had 10 items on sale. I only paid R1 each so am not to irritated about the postage costs, but I do think that if it is stated that they can't be combined, then they must be posted separately. Will wait and see how they come.

Tazer Angel

But at the bottom under shipping it says:

Shipping & Other Charges

R35.00 items may not be combined

It really gets confusing when different shipping amounts are mentioned on the same auction.

windrider

I've seen with other sellers as well. They will refuse to combine the items, even if they are really small and not exactly fragile. With these sellers I either don't bid or if I really like the items, will only buy one item.

eZethu Coins

Obviously an issue that concerns many - hence the many responses.

When I started selling, I charged a fixed rate for the first item & then an additional small fee per item afterwards (to recover additional material, effort, etc.). After a while I realized however that it was not necessary, because the additional material, effort, etc. was negligible. I also realized that I would rather bid on & buy items from sellers that has a fixed shipping fee than from sellers that charged extra per item. To this day I normally have a look at additional items that sellers offer once I win some from them to maximize my "value for money" from the shipping costs. I also invite buyers to "stock pile" and combine into one shipment at no extra charge. Result = increased sales without increased cost to buyers - a win-win.

I am not saying that additional charges for additional items is a bad idea (in cases where it can be warranted), just that it wasn't really warranted in my case (I deal mainly in coins) and that I believe my policy has resulted in increased sales.

Renaldo

Watchx11

Exhorbitant Shipping

I fully agree with the above post! It is unbelievable how certain sellers have been seriously overcharging buyers, especially on the R1 auctions. Of the many things I've learnt as a buyer is to look out for these unscrupulous sellers trying to profit from postage when gaining a reputation for inexpensive/niche/cool products. Too many of the R1 auctions have to be dismissed when I scroll through them due to sellers trying to fob off a delivery method:o costs as a income enhancing exercise. Those sellers that are truly pathetic are those with thousands of sales, and often hundreds of negative/neutral reponses regarding inflated postage costs. If only this was handled better by BoB administrators. Unfortunately though, I believe this is a trade-off between appeasing income producing sellers and unwary/'bargain struck' buyers. A thin line that is crossed by those with little ethical standing.

Tazer Angel

The seller below has so many different charges for different items, it must be a real challange to calculate the postage if a buyer bought various items from the different postage categories. I have noticed that her postage has come down though, she used to charge R60 for each 99c item, no combining allowed.

Items for sale from PandorasJewelleryBox on bidorbuy.co.za

lilythepink
The seller below has so many different charges for different items, it must be a real challange to calculate the postage if a buyer bought various items from the different postage categories. I have noticed that her postage has come down though, she used to charge R60 for each 99c item, no combining allowed.

Items for sale from PandorasJewelleryBox on bidorbuy.co.za

I charge different rates of postage for different items, i.e. stamps are much lighter than one of my candles, and a small candle is lighter than a big one, etc. etc. This is why I prefer to specifically state postage on each item listed and then, under shipping, I clearly state that I will combine items bought on the same auction at R5.00 each. The problem is that some buyers do not even read the adverts properly and still ask what the postage is! ;)

antonsmodels

Postage rates

In my humble opinion i reckon packaging material should be included in your selling postage rate and no extra item fee`s charged, Why would you want to make money out of postage - it just sends a very bad vibe out to the buyers out there. I`ve had the expierence of buying stuff from people and they wanted to go that way, i refused to pay so much for postage as i sell and post a lot of stuff and know what shipping costs are - do not rip buyers off - you are only going to make things bad for yourself. Like i said - my humble opinion only:(

tramps

i think that charging a handling fee per additional item could be acceptable as long as the fee is kept to a minimum. on bigger items you use more materials and bigger boxes that cost more and if you have breakables bubble wrap also cost extra. if you combine stamps or coins or small thin items and charge extra that is not so good as your packaging material stays the same and the envelope stays the same, but charging an extra R25-00 for that extra dvd that goes into the same envelope is expensive. i think that handling fees should be kept to a minimum.

brands online

personally, if advertised before buyer bids, what's the problem? If you walk into a shop and see a price you don't like, you don't buy. So why bid if you already know what postage is gonna be and what you have to pay. If the seller doesn't advertise their postage charges upfront, that's another story altogether

lilythepink
In my humble opinion i reckon packaging material should be included in your selling postage rate and no extra item fee`s charged, Why would you want to make money out of postage - it just sends a very bad vibe out to the buyers out there. I`ve had the expierence of buying stuff from people and they wanted to go that way, i refused to pay so much for postage as i sell and post a lot of stuff and know what shipping costs are - do not rip buyers off - you are only going to make things bad for yourself. Like i said - my humble opinion only:(

I sell fairly large and weighty candles. Why should a person buying only one candle have to be charged a flat rate which would cover a set of five? My additional charge per item is R5.00 and I think this is reasonable in the circumstances. :)

Asha Craft

Ofcourse that's fine Lily. My problem (irritation!) is when certain sellers charge R30, R40 or even R50 per additional item, so that the bidder winning an item at R1 doesn't actually get a bargain... Nope, they are simply buying the item at the same price (or more) than the local store charges. It's utterly ridiculous :mad:

@brands online: Where have you ever walked into a shop and saw a cd player for R200, microwave for R300 and dvd for R100.... AND (or should I say but) you can buy them at these "CRAZY LOW PRICES" if you pay R100 extra per item. I mean really? That type of dubious selling technique won't be entertained for long before clients simply start walking past your shop and gossiping about the crazy owner/salesperson inside....

Which is exactly what happens on BoB... Yet for some unfathomable reason this practice is still allowed and happens daily.

brands online

Cali, that's my point exactly :) I a buyer sees the charges and doesn't like it walk past and don't bid. Don't complain after bidding/buying when you saw the "price tag" upfront. A bargain to one might not be a bargain to another. Sellers would then also adjust their prices/charges accordingly if they saw they lose business.

Lukeness

I don't mind sellers adding additional fees for each item won, providing their is some justification like packing materials or postage weight. What gets me is when tiny items have enormous additional postage fees per item and the seller is only paying the postage for one.

Cali Craft and Gems

I recently bought 3 small items from a seller. The first two items they said can be combined into one parcel, but the third item had to be posted totally on it's own. I therefore had to pay two amounts on postage - total R90 for econoparcel of R18.15!

And guess what? The seller combined all three items into one parcel!

I suppose his "reasoning" behind the extra postage is that they were crazy listings? Two items won at R1, the third at R51.

I am NOT happy!

:mad:

brands online

that's not nice at all...

kebs

I have on all my items that postage is per item & to contact me first for multiple purchases. Most items I can fit into the same envelope at no extra charge at all, but I sell items of varied sizes, so sometimes combining into one small envelope isn't possible. But I don't charge extra - the postage charge will be for the bigger item only then. I put this in my listings because on some items I offer R10 postage without tracking through letter post - I feel if you buy something for R30 & have to pay R25 postage, it's not worthwhile. But if the buyer wants to take a chance & not have a tracking number, then they can save themselves R15. Unfortunately, people were buying the cheaper postage items with bigger ones & expecting it to fit through their letter box! I think R5 extra if you use extra matrials is fine, but definately not the same cost per item, unless they send each item seperately to you!